Packing a Carry on for an International FLight

This will be mine and my mothers first international flight. We are flying from DFW to Rome (1 layover at Newark-5 hrs). On the way back a layover at Frankfurt, Germany (17 hrs). Just thought I'd get some ideas/suggestions on what YOU take in your carry on. I know the typical "what to pack" in my suitcase. So now I'm working on the carry on list....Any suggestions??

-all travel documents

-all prescription meds and any OTC meds you may need for the flight/layovers

-all electronics

-all jewellery

-something to read (kindle or paper book)

-change of clothing (in case suitcase is lost)

-earphones or buds

-gum or lemon drops. My mouth always gets SO dry

-hand sanitizer and moisturizer (in the 3-1-1 bag).

-sleep mask. I usually like a long nap, and the cabin lights bother me.

-bottle of water purchased after security. I know I can just ask for water on board, but prefer to just have my own whenever I want it.

-pashmina. Now that they charge for those teeny airline blankets, this is a great substitute, and takes up little room in my carryon.

Edited by mom says

Definitely changes of clothes in my carry-on backpack in case the checked bag is lost:

• Complete set of undies
  • Set of daytime clothes (pants/skirt and top)
  • Set of dinner clothes (silky black pants and a dressier top; nothing "formal")
  • One or two scarves to dress up the outfits (I prefer scarves to jewelry)
  • Lightweight sweater (or as the previous poster suggested, a pashmina)
  • Unlined lightweight rain jacket

Plus most of the other items previously mentioned...

Ear plugs. Great for minimizing the drone of the engines, for tuning out loud talkers, and for SURE, blocking out crying babies. Along with the eye mask, it's even possible to block out enough stimulus to sleep.

The plugs come in handy in noisy hotel rooms and ship cabins, also.

I would keep my meds, documents, and jewellery ( if expensive,real) with me in my purse.

They can make you gate check your carryon and you may not have time to remove important things.

My girlfriend had her gate checked carry on go missing with her meds in it.

JMO

I fly to Europe several times a year. My usual breakdown:

Purse: Goes under seat in front of me and contains anything I think I might need in flight (to save me having to get carry-on out of the overhead bin) including: wallet, travel docs, glasses, sleep mask and noise-cancelling earbuds, Ipod, Kindle, small makeup bag with lip balm, a tiny brush, etc (or sometimes I just stick my 3-1-1 bag in my purse). I put a few OTC "just in case" meds in a small bottle (ibuprofen, sudafed, immodium, etc.)

Carry-on: Clothes in case my suitcase goes missing (usually one extra pair of pants and two tops, plus underwear). An extra pair of shoes (saves weight in suitcase), my camera, any guide books, jewelry, and a couple other things I'd prefer not to be without should my suitcase not turn up. I will also stick a lightweight fleece in the bag but will get it out early on if I think I'll need it on the plane. If I'm traveling on business, my laptop also goes in (if not, I will sometimes bring a netbook but not always).

Most international flights don't charge for a blanket in my experience. My fleece on top, socks, and the blanket over lower body keeps me warm while trying to sleep. Noise cancelling earphones double as good earphones if you want to watch a movie/listen to music but also can be just good for blocking noise.

As you can see, I am a minimalist!

P.S. My jewelry goes in a roll in my carry-on, always in the same place. If I had to grab it quickly to transfer to my purse, I could. But my carry-on is small and I've never had it taken from me on an international flight. It's not like a rollaboard. It's this:

http://www.baggallini.com/product/Rolling-Tote/Baggallini-Luggage

Edited by cruisemom42

Thank you for all of the suggestions! I've packed for flights to Europe and for land tours, but I've never flown to a cruise. I used a lot of the advice on this thread to make a packing list for my Med cruise. We were able to book a direct flight, so less of a chance of losing our luggage.

This is going to be a challenge...normally we go casual to tour trips, and dressy nights/swimwear days to cruises and yet have 2 full size suitcases and a tote. It seems we'd need twice the amount of clothes this time! Hopefully with the addition of one carry-on case we'll fit everything in without having to compromise too much style. :)

A handbag/purse (don't believe in taking a roll-on, unless I'm going away on business for 1/2 nights) with the following;

- Kindle, fully charged with at least 2 new books downloaded

- iPad, with music and sometimes a couple of downloaded tv programs

- headphones (overhead, not in ear), more comfortable for me

- pashmina if heading to warm climate or blanket scarf if cold climate, essentially the same thing but a thicker usually tar=tan print version for further use in colder climates. Can be used as a blanket, pillow, coverup and scarf during travels and holiday

- socks if I am travelling in sandals

- a fashion magazine

- a small toiletries bag with; micellar solution and cotton pads to remove makeup, sink in moisture mask, thick lip balm, concealer, powder, travel makeup brush, eyebrow pencil, mascara, highlighter, mascara, solid perfume and travel hair brush. I put the liquids in my see through bag and place the whole bag back into the toiletries bag once through security

- an pen

- passport and any important documents kept in a small A5 plastic wallet (learnt this from my security anal dad!)

- small pack of tissues and anti-bac or hand wipes

- Blackberry

Once through security I pick up a big water bottle and snacks like fruit, unsalted nuts, healthy cereal bars (like the naked brand), pretzels, chocolate, crisps etc. I have a growing boyfriend (....he's 25 ;)) and snacks are vital to my sanity!!

I personally don't take a change of clothes in my carry on as I like to keep the weight down, and instead we split our clothes between suitcases to minimise impact if one was lost! If all are... well time to go shopping.

The challenge on overseas flights is to keep the weight to 18 pounds.

It's been my experience that f you are flying from the US on a major carrier, there is no weight limit, just the carry-on size restrictions, for a flight overseas.

Now if you're talking about flights within Europe, they can and do have weight restrictions on carry ons. Some enforce it more than others.

(Generally, if you are flying from the US to a midpoint in EU and then a final destination in EU, you are still allowed the more generous overseas luggage allowance if travel is on the same ticket.)

It is true hand luggage allowance varies.

I am in Jersey in the Channel Islands later this week on business flying from mainland UK and have a 10kg limit. My pre cruise flight to Barbados from the UK in a few weeks has a 5kg limit.

I have never had my hand luggage weighed though.

It is true hand luggage allowance varies.

I am in Jersey in the Channel Islands later this week on business flying from mainland UK and have a 10kg limit. My pre cruise flight to Barbados from the UK in a few weeks has a 5kg limit.

I have never had my hand luggage weighed though.

Good to know!

What airline?

DD had both her carryons weighed on Lufthansa in LAX yesterday. She carries on a 22" bag. A similar sized faux LeSportSac duffel is her personal item. Her 22" was under weight and her duffel was only a third full.

Lufthansa only allows 8k for the luggage in their overhead bins.

Her roommate had carryon problems. Her bag was overweight so it was gate checked. Hasn't turned up yet. Do not know which airline she flew nor which airport- St Louis, Chicago or London.

DD had a problem in FCO. She landed in Terminal one but her luggage was sent to Terminal 2. Not a good thing when you've been up for over 24hours and have a headcold.

Maybe this was mentioned and I missed it, but definitely compression socks for long flights, to help prevent dvt. There are comfy cotton ones now, which also keep my feet warm. Much better than the old "stocking" kind!

Maybe this was mentioned and I missed it, but definitely compression socks for long flights, to help prevent dvt. There are comfy cotton ones now, which also keep my feet warm. Much better than the old "stocking" kind!

Good for mentioning this.

There are some good-looking compression socks out there now, far better than the old black or tan ones. For the times I don't want to wear the socks, I have a pair of Zensah compression leg sleeves (in bright pink). I can wait until I get on the plane to put them on and take them off before landing.

"Less is More" for a carryon for me.

I use a larger bag (tote style) that I can also double as a purse for once I'm in the other country or even if i do some shopping in duty free along the way. I Use a clutch style wallet.I might put a smaller pure in my regular luggage. In the bag I put:

1. Pack of face wipes-doubles for handwashing.

2. Small clear ziplock: toothbrush, contact lens saline, travel mascara, travel size lotion. Also have a very small spray bottle of peppermint essence from Aveda I use to "feel fresh". Sometimes I carry a purse size dry-shampoo just to freshen my hair.

3. Trashy magazine/book, small travel journal

4. Protein type snacks in case it's a long time in between eating once I land or with layovers (peanut butter crackers, mixed nuts, even a sandwich)

5. I wear layers so I can peel off or add as necessary. Slide on/off shoes.

6. Travel documents: I also have one paper with ALL my hotel information, addresses, phone numbers, reservation numbers, etc.

The last thing I want to do is to have to schlepp through an airport lugging a roll away behind me if it's a close connection, long walk to the next terminal etc.

Edited by Gathina

.........Just thought I'd get some ideas/suggestions on what YOU take in your carry on. I know the typical "what to pack" in my suitcase.

All essentials and enough clothing for at least 3 - 4 days go in the carry-on, in case the checked luggage doesn't show up at baggage claim (which occasionally happens).

Anything that we would be very upset about losing either goes in the carry on or remains at home.