Princess or NCL with a 7 year old

fleeflicker

What itineraries? "much the same" can mean big differences. I never made my touring choices with a priority for the kids. :) Especially Alaska, it was about what I was looking for. :)

Kids will have a GREAT time on either cruiseline. However, be well prepared- neither will be at all similar to any Caribbean cruise you may have taken on either.

As an alternative- you may want to involve the kids in the trip planning and allow some of their choices in the ports.

I am glad you bumped. I too am finding very little information about cruising with kids in Alaska. I know it is all about the excursions but one day at sea with a bored 8 year old can ruin a great vacation. i have all my excursions planned and am looking at the same two cruise lines and leaning towards the NCL Pearl because of the rock wall and freestyle dining. In my case my son will be 9 at the time of travel and I have read some negative reviews about the kids club for that age. 7 seems to be an age that enjoys the NCL kids club.

We have been on both Princess and NCL, and my daughter was bored with the Princess kid's programs but she was older. She thought the younger ones really enjoyed their time (5 - 7). I find NCL to be the better choice of the two for kids because in addition to their excellent kid's programs they have a lot more activities geared towards kids. Which means more stuff you can enjoy together.

I would suggest getting the kids involved in the planning. Some great shore excursions could include places like visiting puppies at one of the sled dog camps, exploring in the wilderness, etc. Show them pictures - talk about it - find out what interests them and that will help you pick the right ship and find activities you will all enjoy. Don't forget to get some much needed adult time too. ;)

L.A.S.T.

I took my kids on Princess when they were older (teens) but they had a good time. They aren't into rock walls anyway, so they didn't miss that. A couple of things they liked:

- MUTS (Movies Under the Stars): They tend to show kid's movies during the day, like How to Train Your Dragon or Madagascar 2.

- Pools: Princess has lots of pools, all freshwater and heated. One is covered. My kids were in the pools every day.

- Pizza and grill by the pool deck: teenagers with unlimited pizza and french fries! :D

My daughter was 12 at the time and went to the Shockwaves group (8-12 years). Your 7 year old would be in the Pelicans group (3-7) but they probably have some similar activities. You can see the schedules for the Shockwaves group from our Alaskan cruise here: http://s204.photobucket.com/user/cruisinmama06/library/Princess%20Patters?sort=3&page=1 They are the first set at the top. You can also see the Pelican's schedules for someone else's Caribbean cruise further down on the page, which would give you an idea of activities for the younger kids. Figure that you'd see the Pelicans activities with the Alaskan themes that are in my Shockwaves schedules.

Edited by sherryf

Princess would be my choice. We have found their kids' program to be excellent and really appreciated how they incorporated a level of Alaskan culture and history into some of the Alaska cruise activities. If you are going to be in Glacier Bay the rangers who come aboard on Princess also offer an excellent interpretive program for the kids onboard that day.

Edited by karatemom2

Thanks for the info. I really liked the kids club on princess I wonder if I can find something on the Alaska cruise instead of Caribbean or do they have basically the same stuff.

I would guess that it's similar to activities in the Caribbean, but with more Alaska related crafts/activities, including eagles, whales, glaciers, etc. If you go to Glacier Bay, they have one of the park rangers do a talk for the kids.

My son was 8 when we went to Alaska on the Norwegian Pearl and he loves the kids club.

Someone above mentioned that on Princess the rangers did some good stuff, which was also the case for us.

Basically, the NCL club is good and, whilst we haven't tried it, I see no reason why the Princess one wouldn't be as well,

I'd book the cruise based on your preferences. The kids will be fine on either.

What itineraries? "much the same" can mean big differences. I never made my touring choices with a priority for the kids. :) Especially Alaska, it was about what I was looking for. :)

Kids will have a GREAT time on either cruiseline. However, be well prepared- neither will be at all similar to any Caribbean cruise you may have taken on either.

As an alternative- you may want to involve the kids in the trip planning and allow some of their choices in the ports.

Agree...otherwise OP have you considered Disney.