Coffee Quality

cavukenneth

[quote name='Aruba']Ruth, you can buy small packets of Via, either at a Starbucks or often at a local grocery store, for not much more than the price of a single cup. You could try it to see if you like it. :)[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]I think I will. I detest Starbucks, but it was posted that Via doesn't taste the same. It's worth a shot to see if the Via is decent.

I appreciate the suggestion, and the comments on it.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

This thread just goes to show that coffee, like many things served onboard, is a matter of personal preference. [B]BruceMuzz's[/B] comments are particularly interesting. You can't please everyone. On my recent land-based vacation, I drank tea instead of coffee. Maybe I'll switch to that for our next cruise! ;)

Is it possible coffee is more subjective than the food??? ;)

I don't even drink the stuff (tea for me!), but my DH is pretty opinionated about it. His thoughts are that: HAL Lido/Room Service coffee was ok, sometimes better than others (wish we could figure out that magic formula!), the coffee at Explorations was great. Princess coffee - to him - is undrinkable and he buys a coffee card every cruise.

[quote name='Katie333']Is it possible coffee is more subjective than the food??? ;)...
[/QUOTE]

You will never get a group of people all in agreement about coffee. Personally if it's hot and strong I will drink it. If it's like brown-colored water, no way. Half my family prefers it weak (IMO) and the other half like it strong.

A friend brought me some coffee from Germany, she said it's the best coffee in the world (she comes from Berlin) I didn't tell her, but after trying it once, I didn't have any more. Way too weak and bland for my tastes.

The only time I have been disappointed with the coffee on a cruise was when it was served lukewarm. Usually I'm having too much fun to stress over the coffee. :D

Within the last 15 months, I have sailed Princess, Celebrity, and Carnival--and spent quite a bit of time reading the postings on their board. ALL 3 have a similar coffee post. Not surprised to see one here at HAL.

I put cream and sugar in my coffee. I found no discernible difference in the coffee on all 3 lines. But perhaps Celebrity's room service coffee was the best.

The coffee probably isn't going to taste like the one you make at home. Find an instant you like or buy it at the Coffee Bar.

I like my coffee hot, black, and strong. I usually bring a pound of my own coffee and a thermos with me on cruises, as well as a small pot and filter. That way I can grab a thermos of hot water from the Lido, take it back to our room and make a small pot of great coffee. We've had Neptune suites twice. Once the coffee was great, the second time they used any old coffee beans in the machine, rather than espresso beans, and that coffee was nasty. I don't enjoy the coffee anywhere else on the ship. That being said, I'd rather have a cruise without great coffee than great coffee without a cruise!
Carol

PS. I don't like the coffee in the Explorer's Lounge much, either. There's just no pleasing some people! Edited by ladybird1956

[quote name='ladybird1956']I like my coffee hot, black, and strong. I usually bring a pound of my own coffee and a thermos with me on cruises, as well as a small pot and filter. That way I can grab a thermos of hot water from the Lido, take it back to our room and make a small pot of great coffee. We've had Neptune suites twice. Once the coffee was great, the second time they used any old coffee beans in the machine, rather than espresso beans, and that coffee was nasty. I don't enjoy the coffee anywhere else on the ship. That being said, I'd rather have a cruise without great coffee than great coffee without a cruise!
Carol[/QUOTE]
I thought doing this in your cabin was a great big no-no. Did your steward not say anything about it?

[quote name='peaches from georgia']I thought doing this in your cabin was a great big no-no. Did your steward not say anything about it?[/QUOTE]
Well, I don't use anything to heat the water in my room, and no one has ever complained about the use of the thermos. I never make a mess, as the used grounds get folded up in the filter paper and disposed of neatly.

[quote name='ladybird1956']Well, I don't use anything to heat the water in my room, and no one has ever complained about the use of the thermos. I never make a mess, as the used grounds get folded up in the filter paper and disposed of neatly.[/QUOTE]
Sorry. Your post read to me like you were brewing a pot of coffee in a coffeemaker. The water from the Lido must be really hot.

[quote name='ladybird1956']Well, I don't use anything to heat the water in my room, and no one has ever complained about the use of the thermos. I never make a mess, as the used grounds get folded up in the filter paper and disposed of neatly.[/quote]

[B] That is fine.
There is nothing wrong with what you are doing. :)

[/B]

[quote name='RuthC'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]I think I will. I detest Starbucks, but it was posted that Via doesn't taste the same. It's worth a shot to see if the Via is decent.

I appreciate the suggestion, and the comments on it.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

They sell via at the grocery stores here with the other instant coffees. :) maybe they sell it at yours too.

Sent from my SGH-T779 using Tapatalk

[quote name='jimmy2x']I do not recall getting a cup of decent coffee on ANY cruise line that I did not pay extra for.[/QUOTE]

Most cruise lines use the same coffee syrup in the buffet area.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

[quote name='Kamloops50']Most cruise lines use the same coffee syrup in the buffet area.[/QUOTE]
Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but I believe HAL does use ground coffee, not coffee syrup, to make their coffee.
(Not that that's much consolation... It's still awful IMO.)

[quote name='Aruba']Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but I believe HAL does use ground coffee, not coffee syrup, to make their coffee.
(Not that that's much consolation... It's still awful IMO.)[/quote]

It might not be syrup but still some form of add water and service (instant coffee).

[quote name='Aruba']Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but I believe HAL does use ground coffee, not coffee syrup, to make their coffee.
(Not that that's much consolation... It's still awful IMO.)[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]You're not wrong.I have watched them put in the coffee grounds to make a new urn full.
It's not syrup. It's not instant. It is brewed coffee in HAL's Lido. It may not be very good brewed coffee, but it is brewed.
Actually, I can stand two cups of it in the morning. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] Edited by RuthC

[quote name='RuthC'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]You're not wrong.I have watched them put in the coffee grounds to make a new urn full.
It's not syrup. It's not instant. It is brewed coffee in HAL's Lido. It may not be very good brewed coffee, but it is brewed.
Actually, I can stand two cups of it in the morning. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

On Princess, I once observed them replenishing the syrup they use to make their "coffee". Not a pleasant or appetizing sight!

[quote name='RJ2002']On Princess, I once observed them replenishing the syrup they use to make their "coffee". Not a pleasant or appetizing sight![/QUOTE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]My husband used to take me to some annual banquet or other that made coffee from a syrup base. It was the best coffee I have ever tasted! It was the Excellent Coffee Company, and I would kill for a cup right now. [SIZE="2"](It's cold out, and it's been a long day.)[/SIZE]

Obviously, there is coffee from syrup, and then there is other coffee from syrup. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I have never seen or heard of coffee made from a syrup before, I don't think it exists here. Is it sweetened? It couldn't be just coffee, must have some other stuff in it.

Please don't telll me they don't have real milk on the ships....We visited Costco for the first time yesterday and they were selling coffeemate, something I hadn't seen here for more than 25 years!

[quote name='3littlepigs']I have never seen or heard of coffee made from a syrup before, I don't think it exists here. Is it sweetened? [/QUOTE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]No, it's not sweetened. It's not like the coffee syrup that comes in small bottles for mixing with milk, like when you make coffee milk.

It's more like a very concentrated coffee, that then has hot water added to bring it back to regular strength. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Ineke']It's pretty good, IMO. Not Starbucks, ....[/QUOTE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Not tasting like Starbucks is a good thing. That stuff is awful.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I'm still trying to figure out how to steal the cappuccino machine out of the neptune lounge and get it home in my luggage... but in the meantime, I have recently gotten one of those Keurig coffee machines - the ones that use small plastic cups to make one cup at a time. It's not bad! :)

[IMG]http://content.costco.ca/Images/Content/Product/196155c.jpg[/IMG] Edited by popcan

[quote name='popcan']I'm still trying to figure out how to steal the cappuccino machine out of the neptune lounge and get it home in my luggage... but in the meantime, I have recently gotten one of those Keurig coffee machines - the ones that use small plastic cups to make one cup at a time. It's not bad! :)

[/quote]

That's what I have at home. I think the Peet's coffee is the best. Haven't found a cappuccino or latte that doesn't taste artificial.

I only drink one 6-ounce coffee a day--so I use each plastic cup twice!

Third cup is like light brown water.

There is a Dutch coffee that I get in Aruba called Douwe-Egberts that IMO is delicious. (I mean, Douwe-Egberts is a Dutch corporation; who knows where the beans are from.). Anyway, I've often wished that HOLLAND America Line would switch to this DUTCH coffee. Wouldn't that make sense? ;)