Are Member Reviews worthwhile?

English Voyager

Despite having read various adverse reviews prior to departure, I had a very enjoyable cruise on the Queen Elizabeth from the 13 to the 23 December, and I was impressed with both the quality of the on-board food and service.

Further adverse reviews have now been published, which makes me wonder if I had been on the same ship.

Hence my question: Are member Reviews worthwhile?

Despite having read various adverse reviews prior to departure, I had a very enjoyable cruise on the Queen Elizabeth from the 13 to the 23 December, and I was impressed with both the quality of the on-board food and service.

Further adverse reviews have now been published, which makes me wonder if I had been on the same ship.

In my experience I have learned that we have people who view matters with the half full and half empty outlook. You can have 8 people on the same cruise and you will get 9 different opinions, the 9th will be provided by someone who wasn't even on board. They have their value but there is no substitute for personal experience.

Factual reviews are worthwile.

You've been on the best cruise ship afloat (second best passenger ship as the QM2 is an ocean liner) - that's why you are so impressed.

Ships of this class "don't need" reviews, they can decide by themselves whome to impress.:)

How to read cruise ships reviews.

I always try to read between the lines to get a general impression.

Lots of bad reviews are from people with the wrong expectations or they were simply booked on the wrong cruise line or ship by their travel agent.

Some things do come back again and again. I can remember Princess in the nineties having a lot of very good reviews while nowadays Costa and MSC do not fare that well with the reviewers at all. P&O UK reviewers mention a lot of cost cutting and downgrading etc etc. Spring break cruise with lots of young people don't go down very, just like a big charter group taking over the ship.

Some people start on a bad note and simply can't get rid of it. And some little incidents grow out of proportion and take over. People do something else than their previously preferred cruise line and spend the whole time comparing apples and pears.

So lots of things to take into consideration...

I copied and pasted this recent review of the QM2 from the CC review section. As far as I'm concerned it's useless. If everyone's cruise were this bad, Cunard would be out of business quick. This reviewer was looking for a bad time. Or they are just an unhappy person.

So look at this one and draw your own conclusion.

Harvey

We have just returned from a combined transatlantic crossing to New York and Caribbean cruise. We have sailed on QM2 a number of times over the years and were shocked but also saddened to see the state of disrepair, neglect and overall drop in standards. We were surprised to see that Cunard who heavily market on the ship's iconic history and tradition plus the famous White Star Service, would let things deteriorate so badly. The glossy Cunard brochures certainly do not reflect “What you see is what you get”.

Our balcony was covered in rust marks with paint flaking off everywhere including the frames of our deck chairs.

We were in cabin 6113 on deck 6. The cabin’s furniture and carpet looked worn and tired and did not reflect the décor of a luxury ship. The towels in particular were old, grey and threadbare with some having holes in them.

We were right underneath a door on deck 7, which opened out onto the deck. Form morning to late at night we had to endure the constant noise of door slamming, as people would just let the door slam behind them. This meant we could not sit on the balcony in peace and quiet, enjoying a good book or a glass of wine. Instead we were quite often woken up early in the morning by slamming doors and went to bed with the slamming noise as well.

Some of the ceiling panels in Sir Samuel’s were loose and coming off the ceiling.

A number of public toilets were blocked and even overflowing. There were cracked tiles and the cotton hand towels have been replaced by paper hand towels from a plastic wall unit, not reflecting the luxury status Cunard keeps advertising but more akin to a public convenience on a Council car park.

We saw broken seats in the theatre and broken corners on the orchestra’s screens/QM2 signs. Picture frame sin the corridors were badly scratched and marked. Handrails on corridors were also cracked and badly marked.

The security check, when going on shore excursions, was carried out by just one member of staff. In previous years there were at least 2 desks in operation to cope with the volume of passengers, wishing to get on and off the boat.

The boat itself had rust marks and was covered in algae on the outside. Against other ships, she looked “bedraggled” and neglected. For the first time I did not take any photos. There was a stale and unsavoury smell throughout the ship, often reminding me of sickness.

The food left a lot to be desired. The best meals we had were at breakfast time. The food was repetitive, bland and lacklustre and of low quality. Fresh vegetables and fresh fruit were in very limited supply. In previous years, especially when travelling to destinations like the Caribbean, fresh local fruit would be replenished at some of the destinations and the menu in the Britannia would reflect the destinations travelled to. The time taken to serve meals seemed very long. We experienced 2 hours just to have 2 courses! On occasion we had to run to the theatre so not to miss the show. Some but not all of the waiters appeared demotivated and rude. We sat at table 221 at the late sitting and were allocated one particular waiter who was outstandingly rude and placid when serving.

This was not the case this time. The food in the King’s Court self-service restaurant was not just poor but appalling.

The dress standard in the evenings was not enforced. Whilst the majority of passengers made an effort, there was an increasing number who did not and strolled around the bars in casual day wear including shorts and Crocs. Cunard uses very stylish and elegant models for their glossy high quality brochures and website. Do not expect to see the standard of dress displayed by the models used on the boat. If you do, you will be disappointed. In fact Cunard would be far better to use photos of real passengers to provide a true reflection of what it is really like on board. Notwithstanding the clientele seems to have changed over the years. The glamorous traveller is a minority now and has been overtaken by a type of traveller who in the past would not have travelled with Cunard and is not shown in their broochures.

But even the crew’s uniforms were quite often scruffy and stained.

The theatre performances also left a lot to be desired and were of mediocre quality. Performances were repetitive and boring and fell into the category of what is often referred to as “cruise ship material” and not the advertised RADA productions.

On disembarkation day our luggage tags turned out to be allocated wrongly and our transfer tickets were missing. Instead to Newark Airport we were sent to JFK. This only became apparent when we were called for disembarkation and added a lot of unnecessary panic and stress.

Having travelled on this boat on many occasions I am able to reflect and make comparisons, rather than just merely criticise. We have also been with other cruise lines to enable us to draw comparisons in relation to quality. Yes, we realise the QM2 is a transatlantic liner and not a cruise ship but this does not affect the disrepair, quality of food, standards etc. The ship has definitely seen better times.

Summing up, we will not be travelling with Cunard again. Recently we have experienced Celebrity cruises and found them to be of a much, much higher standard. I have got one message to Cunard: you cannot rely on your history alone but you also need to maintain and improve. You are currently not providing what you are selling.

Despite having read various adverse reviews prior to departure, I had a very enjoyable cruise on the Queen Elizabeth from the 13 to the 23 December, and I was impressed with both the quality of the on-board food and service. Further adverse reviews have now been published, which makes me wonder if I had been on the same ship. Hence my question: Are member Reviews worthwhile?
The balanced ones are.

Nothing is perfect, certainly no ship is, but the "reviews" and reports that are nothing but negative, time and time again (NEVER say anything good, and there are frequent examples of these, from regular posters) are only worth ignoring, nothing more (well, maybe worht reading for a good laugh).

Look for reviews and reports that tell the WHOLE story, praising where due, mentioning issues where needed.

Discard the ranting reviews, the constant moaning reports. Disregard distortion.

And note that many of the most negative posts frequently come from two opposites.

1. The first and only post of a new member.

2. Regular travellers who, once again, having endured the voyage from hell (they say), have already booked their next voyage with the same line. Couldn't have been that bad, could it?

(If your head hurt after repeatedly banging it on a wall, you'd stop banging your head, wouldn't you? Well some don't, they enjoy going back for more of the same, time and time again).

I agree with the good cap'n above, some "reviews" are from people who've never set foot on any ship.

Look for balance, then the whole review or report is worth reading and remembering.

As you've suggested, one or two seem to travel with a different Cunard Line than the rest of us.

All best wishes :) .

Edited by pepperrn

as you've suggested, one or two seem to travel with a different cunard line than the rest of us.

All best wishes :) .

I think that's the only reason. :D

If we read more reviews like that, Cunard will go bankrupt very soon!

Or, we just have very low standard. :D

Edited by Yoshikitty

A few years ago there was a poster on the Celebrity board.

Anything that might go wrong did for this woman.

Room service attendants spilled strawberry smoothies on her white Spanish dress.

She fell boarding the ship and was laid up for days.

She found body fluids on the bedding because she brought her blue light wand with her just in case.

Every time she complained, she was rewarded until finally the rest of us mutineed and Celebrity got wind of what was going on.

She tried the same stuff on Royal Caribbean.

Let's rest easy in the knowledge that she has been banned from all sailings on both lines.

Like Cap'n mentioned, I did wonder if she really existed and had taken as many cruises as she claimed.

Prior to my first cruise I read all the reviews I could on the particular ship I was sailing on. The food was great, the entertainment wonderful, the service top of the line. Apparently I did not go on the same ship as the people who wrote the reviews I read.

Grains of salt.

...Prior to my first cruise I read all the reviews I could on the particular ship I was sailing on. The food was great, the entertainment wonderful, the service top of the line. Apparently I did not go on the same ship as the people who wrote the reviews I read...
Well said :) .

Reviews indeed sway booking decisions. I recalled two incidents - buried in a "new dress code" thread - where reviews caused two people to cancel.

...I was reacting to what I thought was an inordinately large number of reviews on the QE where the reviewers said never again and to reviewers who really liked the ship despite what I would have considered intolerable incidents or conditions...We were in the process of making the final payment on a Cunard Cruise, and were getting excited, when a friend asked had we read the reviews.

As I said we were shocked.

We also talked about continuing anyway - I told you our experience with cruises, people, travelling etc., is very positive, and then my wife said "It's more fun to be on a cruise and expecting all to be wonderful than to discover after being forwarned that its not. We're travelling a long way and spending lots to do it. Why take a that risk...

and

...I too was looking forward to my first Cunard voyage. But then came the posts about the new dress code. No more evening elegance. Members wrote about how even the TAs got more and more casual with each passing night. T shirts in the theatre. Jeans OK for the Hamburg-Oslo rocker cruise.

My expectation was the grand ocean liner formality and elegance. Now it was so suddenly changed. With great sadness I too cancelled. Some people here tried to tell me not to cancel over a dress code. But why sail on Cunard only spend the entire time miserable over the change? Like you I was forewarned...

It appears that bad reviews will indeed be a tipping point. If somebody has some hesitation on whether a voyage will be worth their time and money the negatives will sway the decision.

When reading a review it is necessary to ascertain that the writer travelled in the same as type of cabin/dining as you will be using.

Reading of service/menus in the Grills will not be of any help if you are in Britannia. I dislike those reviewers who do not make this clear.

I could not comment on the Pub trivia, as I never participate, however I do attend 95% of the lectures, so these are important to me.

Reading how wonderful a waiter in the Commodore Club is, how he/she remembers you favourite drink from the last time is wasted if like myself you do your pre dinner drinking in the Chart Room.

It is important to first time cruisers to know the "secrets" that long time Cunard cruisers take for granted. A review that states for instance that in Britannia you can order "off menu" each night for Shrimp cocktail as an appetizer, New York strip steak, grilled chicken, or grilled salmon, if you wish. These are not listed and the waiter will not tell you.

Often ordering a glass of wine in Britannia can mean a long wait, so knowing that you can look at the menu before going into the bar (pre dinner) and ordering a glass of wine that you carry into dinner is allowed .

Of course these things seldom make it into the review, but IMO they would be helpful.

• 4 weeks later...

When reading reviews I think you should consider that, except for loyal fans, people generally only write reviews if they've had an exceptionally good or horrifically bad experience. So with anything you'll always see a disproportionate number of bad reviews. The trick is to look out for consistent complaints about the same thing.

It is truly amazing how some can look for reasons to be negative. Cunard just posted a photo on their Facebook page taken yesterday (or is it today?!) in Sydney with the crew to mark the ship's 10th anniversary. If you read the comments someone claims the ship is being neglected all because he saw some rust on the mast where the photographer was. Next in line is a comment about mass crew exodus and crew not being paid. The intelligence of some people is baffling!

Rob

I guess, all I can say is that We've never had a bad experince on Cunard. some have been better than others. Our 2 trips in the Grills were the best trips we've ever had. That being said, I do have to say our 2012 trip on the QV was probably our least favorite. The ship really pitched in just moderate seas. The 'ol Vista curse,I guess. The food quality & definately portion size was not up to the standard of our trips on QM2. It wasn't bad,actually quite good. The tastings in the Lido were outstanding. Much better than the Britannia. We're "foodies" so good food is really our passion. the final formal meal was a real letdown with surprisingly skimpy portions of Newburg Lobster or a small "sampling" of Beef wellington. The staff was rather unwilling to come up with extras. This was never an occurance on QM2. Unfortunately with travel for us only in the winter months & Cunard pretty much leaving the Caribbean we checked some options. We settled for a 14 day trip on Celebrity Eclipse. Best trip since the Grills. The food in the MDR was outstanding with Escargot & other "Celebrity favorites" listed on the menu(sort of an Al A Carte)Portions & quality were outstanding. Staff was unhurried, drinks arrived promptly. It was acutely aware that staff cutbacks were more in evidence on QV. Now I'll list the celebrity shortcomings:(they are few) Tea Service: Appalling!! Tetley etc. is not what I call good tea. Scones were actually excellent. Tea Sandwiches were poorly done. Everything was self service. The library is ok at best. The quality of shows started weak but really got quite a bit better.

Perry Grant(a kind of Liberace piano player)was terrific. I'll book a cruise just to see him. Ship was much smoother than QV, but not as smooth as QM2. Lots of pax in the range of Cunard(older,more worldly)A surprisingly large amount of Brits, so we felt quite at home. Reminded us of Cunard. as a whole we thought this trip was far superior overall to standard Britannia level rooms. Inside staterooms had a great glass enclosed shower & plenty of storage space in the bathroom. The closet space was good. Drawer space is quite limited for trips over 7 days. We probably will plan a trip like this again next year. We'd love for Cunard to do a B2B from New York & not just South Hampton. I can't say how Celebrity is overall, just on the Eclipse. I've generally heard the Eclipse is the best for longer trips. As much as we love Cunard, with the Caribbean cutbacks there's not much we can do.

...Our 2 trips in the Grills were the best trips we've everI can't say how Celebrity is overall, just on the Eclipse. I've generally heard the Eclipse is the best for longer trips. As much as we love Cunard, with the Caribbean cutbacks there's not much we can do.
I thought for a while that you were going to get through an entire post without mentioning the "Eclipse", but alas... :) (Sorry, I couldn't resist)

Bob

I copied and pasted this recent review of the QM2 from the CC review section. As far as I'm concerned it's useless. If everyone's cruise were this bad, Cunard would be out of business quick. This reviewer was looking for a bad time. Or they are just an unhappy person.

So look at this one and draw your own conclusion.

Harvey

QUOTE]

Point is, was the reviewer telling lies or were all the specific points raised really true. The problem for me is that Cunard does seem, IMO of course, to have cut down greatly on staffing levels. Not really surprising when we look at some of the prices on offer, and most of the points raised would seem to be directly connected with staff shortages.

I will be encouraged that things are on the improve when they replace those pesky seats in Illuminations.

David.

Well, all I have to say is that the standards have declined on all cruises ! I have been on one cruise ( cunard ) and could not believe the service,,,having to wait for a drink at the pool,,, room attendant not showing up when I had directly asked for tea at 1am, and the cabin unclean, I found dust under the bed. I don't think I will ever sail with them again. And I heard of similar things on Royal so I'm sure I would never sail with them either! ;) :D

Had to say that, I guess I'm still a kid, I look at reviews for the pictures.

Balf, I do not accept a long wait for a glass of wine at dinner satisfactory, I have asked "why" , but never received a worthwhile answer.

I do realize that attending to a passenger who orders a $50 bottle is more important than one such as myself who orders a mere $7 glass of vin ordinaire, so now I take a glass in from the Chart Room. Yes I do buy it on board not "smuggle " it on and hide it in my cabin as some purist seem to think.

Mentioning the wait was not really a complaint merely a statement of fact IMO it is facts such as this that can be helpful to first timers, to know it could happen does at least help prevent the feeling that you are being "ignored"