What is this guy doing?

Yodalicious

So is there another location crew can watch the blind spot from on PDAM?

I haven't worked on PRDM, but she is an older ship, having been built in 1988, without "dive boards". Her "open" bridge wing gives her captain, in the pic below, Captain Hale Gundersen, a pretty good view. of what's happening below. In the same pic, you can see one of her sailors (or her Bosun) out on her open bow (right above the black port side exhaust of the tug) keeping an eye on her mooring lines as she enters the Ijmuiden locks on her way out to the North Sea after a day in Amsterdam. He is positioned where, on the other ships, the dive board would be

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/Copper10-8/Amsterdam67Prinsendambeingtowedintolocks_zps29a83ba2.jpg

No sweat, John! Bruce all but said it and I actually called it the diving board, so between the two of us, you straightened that "board" out for us!

Thanks for the clarification on this! I only knew what I did thanks to you and my BIL anyhow, as I'm acually an old AF airhead anyway. :D

Ain't nothing wrong with the fly boys, Rich! ;)

That ceremony is performed from the aft mooring deck

Do they really perform that ceremony? Reason I ask, a man and wife I know is on a FLL to Sydney and return cruise on Cunard. They are quite elderly and mentioned that they intended to ask their Captain to bury them at sea if they were to die on board.

Do they really perform that ceremony? Reason I ask, a man and wife I know is on a FLL to Sydney and return cruise on Cunard. They are quite elderly and mentioned that they intended to ask their Captain to bury them at sea if they were to die on board.

The ceremony HAL provides is for burial at sea for ashes, sometimes called cremains, in a specially designed/certified biodegradable container. I doubt seriously they're prepared, willing, or even permitted to bury a full body at sea.

The ceremony HAL provides is for burial at sea for ashes, sometimes called cremains, in a specially designed/certified biodegradable container. I doubt seriously they're prepared, willing, or even permitted to bury a full body at sea.

That's what I thought when I heard this. Thx.

That's what I referred to; human remains after cremation

Slightly off topic.

John, you said in a previous thread (your 'live from' report) that you could not post pictures here on CC.

If you had taken the above link and changed the URL and /URL to IMG and /IMG your picture would be displayed

For example :

{IMG}http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/Copper10-8/Amsterdam67Prinsendambeingtowedintolocks_zps29a83ba2.jpg{/IMG}

gives

Amsterdam67Prinsendambeingtowedintolocks_zps29a83ba2.jpg

NOTE I have put { and } in place of [ and ] to demonstrate

Hope this helps

Statendam's pilot break with two Boatmen waiting to deploy the Pilots/Jacobs ladder for the pilot to come onboard

HALSADMPilotbreak_zps3eed8c58.jpg

The area immediately inside the two "dive boards" on Statendam; the forward mooring deck. One of the two anchor chains, mooring lines and winches

HALSADMfwdmooringdeck_zps1ed7c6ae.jpg

Edited by Copper10-8

Slightly off topic.

John, you said in a previous thread (your 'live from' report) that you could not post pictures here on CC.

If you had taken the above link and changed the URL and /URL to IMG and /IMG your picture would be displayed

For example :

{IMG}http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/Copper10-8/Amsterdam67Prinsendambeingtowedintolocks_zps29a83ba2.jpg{/IMG}

gives

Amsterdam67Prinsendambeingtowedintolocks_zps29a83ba2.jpg

NOTE I have put { and } in place of [ and ] to demonstrate

Hope this helps

Awesome! Thanks a bunch for your assistance Rollie! Much appreciated! :) Take care and be safe!

Gotta love the "behind-the-scenes" photos......

Thanks John! (And Rollie!) :)

Enjoy Maasdam in March Rich! :) Oh, and thanks for your service in boomers! Actually, just saw they were Tiger cruises; must have been an eye opener!

Edited by Copper10-8

Enjoy Maasdam in March Rich! :) Oh, and thanks for your service in boomers! Actually, just saw they were Tiger cruises; must have been an eye opener!

We are going on Maasdam with several CC friends from our May/June 2013 Prinsendam cruise so it's guaranteed to be a fun time! :cool:

BIL was Asst. WEPS on the Calhoun, WEPS on the Pennsylvania in the 90s. Don't remember which crew but I know he does. Incredible, eye-opening tiger cruises I got to go on with him; I developed an enormous respect for submariners through him. Nothing like standing on the bridge in the middle of the night and seeing stars above and phosphorescent sea life below washing over the bow with no other light source; gives you the feeling that you're floating in space. It's something like a mirror image. I had a cousin who was a QM Mate on the Jackson in the 60s. I did my "flying" as Missile and Sat Ops space crew in the 70s and 80s. Been friends for years with a Gunny who did NS; gotta love you Gy-Rines! ;)

Edited by 0bnxshs

We are going on Maasdam with several CC friends from our May/June 2013 Prinsendam cruise so it's guaranteed to be a fun time! :cool:

BIL was Asst. WEPS on the Calhoun, WEPS on the Pennsylvania in the 90s. Don't remember which crew but I know he does. Incredible, eye-opening tiger cruises I got to go on with him; I developed an enormous respect for submariners through him. Nothing like standing on the bridge in the middle of the night and seeing stars above and phosphorescent sea life below washing over the bow with no other light source; gives you the feeling that you're floating in space. It's something like a mirror image. I had a cousin who was a QM Mate on the Jackson in the 60s. I did my "flying" as Missile and Sat Ops space crew in the 70s and 80s. Been friends for years with a Gunny who did NS; gotta love you Gy-Rines! ;)

A Lt. I worked for in the PD was a USAF K-9 handler for SAC, somewhere in North Dakota guarding you know what during that time ;) I don't know if I'm sub material; months underwater at a time :eek: Respect!!

Anyway, enjoy Maasie, my old ship! :)

Awesome! Thanks a bunch for your assistance Rollie! Much appreciated! :) Take care and be safe!

You are more than welcome.

It is the least I can do to help repay all the helpful information you provide here on this forum

Check out the Port Aruba Webcam facebook page. They update their "cover photo" every couple of days, but this one is interesting.

https://www.facebook.com/Port.Aruba.Webcam

Roy

Bit of a bigger dive board.! ;) Forgot to add earlier; the dive board is also usually the location from which a sailor, with hopefully a good arm, throws the smaller heaving lines to the linesmen waiting down on the dock;)