What is this guy doing?

Yodalicious

That is not where the pilot comes on board, or gets off. That is mid ships, and much closer to the water line.

I believe this person has very good view of proximity to the dock, for directing which lines are to be put ashore. The "throw lines" may even be shot from here. As the NA appears to be departing from Port Everglades in this picture, this person may be simply watching for security issues as the ship passes close to land there in the channel. This area is a crew area, not a passenger area.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Once the pilot is ready to disembark, that is where they'll drop a ladder to the Pilot Boat for him to disembark...once they're out in open waters.

No, that isn't quite accurate.

The pilot goes up/down the jacob's ladder that is dropped from a break in the side of the ship much lower and mid-ship.

The fellow here is a navigation officer 'look out'. I'm unclear what his exact responsibilities are but there is always an officer out on the wing when the ship sails out and I 'assume' sails into dock.

Edited by sail7seas

I've seen these bow doors open and a person on them on when I've seen a ship entering or leaving a port. I've always thought it was a safety issue and the person's job was as a lookout for small craft, obstacles, debris, etc., and most probably is required or a standard operating procedures.

Edited by Randyk47

That position on each side of the ship is called the "diving board". As others have mentioned, there is usually an officer or QM there to help with navigating in channels and docking areas as they can see clear down each side of the ship.

As Bruce stated, that hatch is unofficially known as the "dive board". There is one located on the port side also. The hatch is hydraulically lowered and becomes a small platform. It leads into the forward mooring deck of the ship where the winches for the mooring lines are located. That activity, lowering and heaving in, mooring lines, is the responsibility of a Deck officer who is in charge of the mooring party, consisting of the ship's Bosun (Boatswain), Asst, Bosun, Deck Storekeeper, and a group of sailors who perform that activity each time the vessel arrives and departs port.

It is most definitely NOT the location from where the harbor pilot boards and disembarks the ship because the elevation from it to the sea level is way too high. That location is known as the ship's Marshaling Area, the same area that takes in your luggage and, most, of the ship's stores

Edited by Copper10-8

As Bruce stated, that hatch is unofficially known as the "dive board". There is one located on the port side also. The hatch is hydraulically lowered and becomes a small platform. It leads into the forward mooring deck of the ship where the winches for the mooring lines are located. That activity, lowering and heaving in, mooring lines, is the responsibility of a Deck officer who is in charge of the mooring party, consisting of the ship's Bosun (Boatswain), Asst, Bosun, Deck Storekeeper, and a group of sailors who perform that activity each time the vessel arrives and departs port.

It is most definitely NOT the location from where the harbor pilot boards and disembarks the ship because the elevation from it to the sea level is way too high. That location is known as the ship's Marshaling Area, the same area that takes in your luggage and, most, of the ship's stores

Am I correct that the Prinsendam does not have one?

Roy

OK are you ready for this one,

I have been told this is where they do burial at sea from. The ashes of the loved one has to be in a bio-degradeable container. HUMMM... the Captain and other officers officiate and the spouse, S.O., etc. gets a certificate that shows the exact position of the ship when the ceremony was performed.

Food for thought and it sounds thoughtful to me.

I have been told this is where they do burial at sea from. The ashes of the loved one has to be in a bio-degradeable container. HUMMM... the Captain and other officers officiate and the spouse, S.O., etc. gets a certificate that shows the exact position of the ship when the ceremony was performed.

Could be but that's not what I've been told. There is a service deck aft that they use....at least that's what I was led to believe.

Darn, I thought the HAL employee was actually right.

Sorry John. Have you ever seen anyone actually dive off of them? :D

If a crew member would attempt to dive from one of the two fwd hatches, he/she would be in serious trouble with the Captain! They are known as "dive boards" only because they sorta, kinda resemble one when lowered/deployed. There is not a lot of space on them, plus there is a protective railing, with no opening, around them when deployed. Now, the "boards" on the big ones like Oasis/Allure OTS, that's a different story. You can park a VW Bug on one of them

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/Copper10-8/HALMADMstarboardsidediveboard_zps461f9d50.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/Copper10-8/HALMADMstarboardsidediveboard2_zps67868c50.jpg

Edited by Copper10-8

That ceremony is performed from the aft mooring deck

You are all wrong sorry to say! This location is where passengers who have exceeded the credit limit on their credit card for onboard charges are asked to immediately disembark! Their luggage follows soon after! Don't mess with HAL!!!:D

:eek: :D good one -,,luv it LOL

That would be "as Rich stated" - sorry Rich! ;)

No sweat, John! Bruce all but said it and I actually called it the diving board, so between the two of us, you straightened that "board" out for us!

Thanks for the clarification on this! I only knew what I did thanks to you and my BIL anyhow, as I'm acually an old AF airhead anyway. :D

Edited by 0bnxshs