Help please

PiperLilly

My husband & I are booked in April on Celebrity Reflection. I am a nervous wreck about what to pack. We are NOT formal people when on vacation. We like our sandals, Capri pants for me and shorts/polo for him. I've been reading how formal the dress requirements seem all day on this ship! On formal nights in past on other ships/lines we use buffet or room service. We are in Aqua Class and I do not want to take 5 suitcases of clothing. Please help with your experiences and suggestions. We have formal clothing, just hate being formal when we are trying to relax on vacation!

Thank you

What to pack is easy - one formal outfit. Unless you're a very messy eater, it will do for however many formal dinners you have. See what it looks like when you're on board, you'll see what you can get away with I promise you, having to waer long trousers perhaps twice in a cruise will NOT ruin your holiday.

Don't get the impression that, if you walk in on consecutive nights wearing the same dress, the entire restaurant will turn to look at you and shout "she wore that yesterday". Few people will notice what you wear, most of those who notice won't care, and the few who care don't matter.

Stop worrying. The sky won't fall.

First of all, you won't have 5 bags. Heck, I did a 38 day cruise, one that had 12 formal nights, and I managed to attend all the formal nights, dressed very formal, and did this with two bags.

Be aware that Celebrity tends to be more formal than any other mass market line, and people tend to follow the dress code. Being in Aqua Class, you're assigned to Blu for dinner, where the dress code is smart casual and above. BUT, none of the restaurants on board, other than the buffet, allows shorts after 6pm. And you'll find that even in Blu, a vast majority of guests do dress up on formal nights. All you'll need is a nice dress or pant suit and your husband a sport jacket, tie and slacks---even dockers with the jacket and tie.

Now, as for dressing during the day, Celebrity is like any other line in that its casual. Bathing suits, shorts, capris and other casual clothes are the norm. I've been on more than 30 Celebrity cruises and I've never seen anyone dressed up fancy during the day.

I don't know what your itinerary is, but if its Europe, and if its your first cruise there, just know that in many tourist places in the Med, you cannot wear shorts or sleeveless. Just a little piece of info. Oh, and just another bit of info, Celebrity's dinner buffets aren't that great. They're very limited, and we've always found that part of a Celebrity cruise to be very disappointing.

My husband & I are booked in April on Celebrity Reflection. I am a nervous wreck about what to pack. We are NOT formal people when on vacation. We like our sandals, Capri pants for me and shorts/polo for him. I've been reading how formal the dress requirements seem all day on this ship! On formal nights in past on other ships/lines we use buffet or room service. We are in Aqua Class and I do not want to take 5 suitcases of clothing. Please help with your experiences and suggestions. We have formal clothing, just hate being formal when we are trying to relax on vacation!

Thank you

If you are in AQ, your assigned dining room is Blu which has a dress code of smart casual every night regardless of the dress code in the MDR. For this reason more and more people are dressing casually on their cruise. On my cruise last month, I observed more people in Blu dressed smart casual than formal so you should not feel out of place wearing casual clothes. You do not need any formal clothes whatsoever. With the being said, you may wear capris in Blu however your husband cannot wear shorts. Pants and a polo are just fine but shorts are out for dinner. In the morning in Blu you just simply dress for what you are going to do during the day (not bathing suits though) The dress around the ship during the day is shorts and t shirts and in the ports. Please don't waste the money you have spent on Aqua to go eat in the buffet because you will be disappointed, Celebrity's buffets can satisfy you but only provide stations like pizza, sushi, etc. Not really full meals. Also, room service provides dining room meals during the hours they are open but they come from the MDR and not Blu. Just relax, we went a month ago with one suitcase each.

You can relax about the dress code. During the day, Celebrity is like most other lines--swim suits and cover ups, shorts, tees, capris, sundresses, whatever you wear during the summer at home. All they ask is that you don't wear swimsuits outside the pool area (just pull on a sundress or tee and shorts).

Most evenings are smart casual, for which capris, slacks, a skirt and a nice top for ladies, khaki's and a polo for guys is fine. For formal nights I do like to dress up and usually wear a cocktail dress or, once in a while, a long gown, while my husband usually wears a blazer and nice slacks.

But, you will be just fine with black pants or a skirt and a couple of pretty tops. You husband can wear khaki's and a blazer--may not need a tie, even, and I think he'd be okay just in slacks and a shirt.

I can pack easily in one 26" suitcase, and have packed for a week with a carry-on, though I prefer a little more variety.

Mostly they just don't want people coming to the dining room looking like they are about to take out the trash or mow the lawn. It doesn't take clothes that are really formal, anymore; quite a few people do dress up a lot, quite a few more just dress nicely but not formally.

I don't know what your itinerary is, but if its Europe, and if its your first cruise there, just know that in many tourist places in the Med, you cannot wear shorts or sleeveless. Just a little piece of info.

That is somewhat of an exagerration. Apart from places of worship where shoulders and knees are often required to be covered, you can wear the same sort of things you would wear in the US.

You can relax about the dress code. During the day, Celebrity is like most other lines--swim suits and cover ups, shorts, tees, capris, sundresses, whatever you wear during the summer at home. All they ask is that you don't wear swimsuits outside the pool area (just pull on a sundress or tee and shorts).

Most evenings are smart casual, for which capris, slacks, a skirt and a nice top for ladies, khaki's and a polo for guys is fine. For formal nights I do like to dress up and usually wear a cocktail dress or, once in a while, a long gown, while my husband usually wears a blazer and nice slacks.

But, you will be just fine with black pants or a skirt and a couple of pretty tops. You husband can wear khaki's and a blazer--may not need a tie, even, and I think he'd be okay just in slacks and a shirt.

I can pack easily in one 26" suitcase, and have packed for a week with a carry-on, though I prefer a little more variety.

Mostly they just don't want people coming to the dining room looking like they are about to take out the trash or mow the lawn. It doesn't take clothes that are really formal, anymore; quite a few people do dress up a lot, quite a few more just dress nicely but not formally.

It should be pointed out the OP is in AQ and will be eating in Blu which does not require formal any night. You are describing clothes for the MDR.

Edited by dkjretired

That is somewhat of an exagerration. Apart from places of worship where shoulders and knees are often required to be covered, you can wear the same sort of things you would wear in the US.

I just think its a good idea to let newbies know that if they're used to wearing shorts on their previous cruises, such as in the Caribbean, shorts all the time in the Med could present a problem, and should plan accordingly.

In 2012 we did our first world cruise, with Princess, and I was determined to travel as lightly as possible.

DH and I took one bag each, and we just washed and wore as we called it.

You get to the stage in life where commonsense takes over, and we now know how careful we have to be with our back as we age as we both have back injuries.

We both took formal gear, and just mixed and matched.

We had the time of our lives and in March, we are off, cruising to Japan, for almost 3 months, and will do exactly the same thing.

Enjoy your cruise and don't let the stress take over.

Nicki

It should be pointed out the OP is in AQ and will be eating in Blu which does not require formal any night. You are describing clothes for the MDR.

Oops--I guess I skimmed over that part. I just assumed since she was worried about formal wear that they were eating in the main dining room.

• 3 weeks later...
I sincerely appreciate all your comments. This helps a lot. I honestly feel like I can quit worrying and be excited and enjoy our first cruise!

Welcome to Cruise Critic and the Wonderful World of Cruising! :)

Glad the replies have helped ease your mind. Please relax and expect to have a fantastic cruise. :D

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

LuLu

~~~