9:50 am flight from San Juan? Too early?

Sunset329

We did not take an early walk-off and were at the airport before 10. There are some gotchas to flying from there: you have to run your bag through an agriculture inspection system (with only one scanner) and the TSA line gets backed up quickly. The one saving grace is that I don't think there are a lot of early flights (the United desk didn't even open until 10) so it might be light.

j

We will be on the Summit in November, and have never been to San Juan. We don't know how long it takes to get from the ship to the airport. If we took an early walk-off, could we make a 9:50 am flight out of San Juan?
It would certainly be possible if everything goes smoothly, but there is no way to predict in advance how things will go that day.

It took us 15 minutes from entering the taxi outside the cruise terminal to get to the airport the last time we did it, but there was very little traffic and we encountered no problems.

It depends on how soon the ship is cleared, the time it takes you to get through the customs line, the time at the airport to get through the agricultural inspection (which may have a long line, or nobody waiting at all) and for getting through airport security and out to your gate.

Consider whether you are someone who will be very upset if you miss the flight, or someone who has backup plans and will take it in stride.

Some would be a nervous wreck that morning just wondering whether or not they were going to make it, while others would not be bothered at all and actually enjoy that type of adrenaline rush.

Edited by varoo

We will be on the Summit in November, and have never been to San Juan. We don't know how long it takes to get from the ship to the airport. If we took an early walk-off, could we make a 9:50 am flight out of San Juan?

We would never risk catching a flight that early. You never know what might happen. Better to be safe than sorry.

Just recently off the Summit...if you walk-off with your luggage you can be out around 7 AM if ship is cleared...trip to the airport in the "speedy" taxi is about 15 or 20 minutes and yes, be sure to go thru the agricultural inspection route before checking in at your airline...if everything goes smoothly, it's very doable at that hour but one never knows what snags will arise!

You will be fine.

Do as others that have done it above state and you will be at gate with an hour to spare.

Unless of course disembarkation is subject to delays like we have encountered a couple of times - where the ship was not even allowed to start disembarkation until after 9:00. It can happen. It does happen. It happened to us twice. I will agree that there is a decent chance they can make it, but respectfully disagree with a blanket statement that they will make it. There are often very few options for flying out of SJU if you miss your flight. Anyone chancing a flight this early definitely needs a back-up plan and nerves of steel wouldn't hurt either.:)

I was the first one off the Summit at 7:30 and made a 9 am flight with time to spare. Despite what was printed in advance about a 7 am debarkation, those on the ship said it would be 7:30 and they were correct. We were in the Penthouse so arranging to be the first off was easy. There was no traffic and no problem getting through security. I'm not sure I would do a 9 again, but I would do your flight, but I'm used to travel, airports, and moving quickly, and I had several backup plans if I missed the flight. Put another way - the entire experience would have been too stressful for my mom. One thing to consider, flights close for checking luggage well in advance of boarding time.

Edited by JFontaine

I did early walkoff on my Jan 4-11 Summit cruise and had there been a seat in business class, I would have made an 8:20AM flight back to NY JFK. Since there wasn't an available seat, I just waited for my scheduled 10:50AM flight. The taxi at that time in the morning took about 15 minutes and it wasn't a problem getting the agricultural scan and seal.

.....One thing to consider, flights close for checking luggage well in advance of boarding time.
Good point, and one more reason why so many frequent travelers fly with carry-on luggage only.

Sometimes when trying to check a bag at the last minute they will take it if you sign a release acknowledging that the bag probably will not make the flight, but other times they will not accept it at all.

Unless of course disembarkation is subject to delays like we have encountered a couple of times - where the ship was not even allowed to start disembarkation until after 9:00. It can happen. It does happen. It happened to us twice. I will agree that there is a decent chance they can make it, but respectfully disagree with a blanket statement that they will make it. There are often very few options for flying out of SJU if you miss your flight. Anyone chancing a flight this early definitely needs a back-up plan and nerves of steel wouldn't hurt either.:)

I hope the OP reports back after the trip and confirms my response!:)

Thanks for all the replies. But . . . . we are now more confused than ever. Some say yes; some say no. If we do not take the 9:50 am flight, all other flights do not arrive at our destination (Sioux Falls) until the next day.

What is the agricultural scan???

Thanks for all the replies. But . . . . we are now more confused than ever. Some say yes; some say no. If we do not take the 9:50 am flight, all other flights do not arrive at our destination (Sioux Falls) until the next day.

An agricultural scan is sort of like a TSA scan. They run your checked luggage through a big scanner.

The larger question about flights, however is the issue. I logged in to Kayak and found United and Delta flights that leave later and get you to Sioux Falls the same day

An agricultural scan is sort of like a TSA scan. They run your checked luggage through a big scanner.

The larger question about flights, however is the issue. I logged in to Kayak and found United and Delta flights that leave later and get you to Sioux Falls the same day

actually you put ALL luggage though the machine...checked and carryon. To the OP...you have to do that BEFORE you go to check in counter.

If you have any travel experience you will have no problem making early flight (of course if ship happened to be late that would make it problematic...but that doesn't happen very often...).

You DO have to walk off with your luggage (we were the first of the ship last time and were at airport gate literally less than 45 minutes later).

Look at it this way: The people who are saying that it's risky are stating facts, while anyone who tells you that 'you'll be fine' cannot say so with certitude.

I'll share with you our most recent experience, one month ago. We spent three days post-cruise in San Juan. One morning just after sunrise I was out by El Morro, and saw Adventure of the Seas approaching the harbour -- I knew it was over an hour behind schedule, and found out later the reason was due to a man-overboard incident on the way back. Anything can happen. Of course this pales in comparison to the grief that the victim's family suffered, but there were many people that morning who had to make alternate flight arrangements. On our departure day, we got to the airport two hours ahead of time for an 8:40am flight. There was no lineup at the agriculture inspection (though there can be); check-in took us maybe 15 minutes; but then we stood in the TSA lines for over an hour, getting to our gate just as boarding was about to commence. Others have had similar issues with TSA waits at SJU. It's not to say that you cannot make the schedule you've proposed, but rather what conclusion you make regarding risk versus reward.

I agree that those of us that say you will make it can't be sure...(why not just wait 1 or 2 days, and get to the airport 6 hours in advance to make 100% sure you will make it).

I would suggest that there is a very small chance the ship will be late...but of course there is always a chance.

Some will never book a flight that is even 4 hours after arrival, some will never book until next day...It all depends on the risk you want to take.