Carnival's Response to Growing Nassau Crime Rate

thecruiserofships

I just read online that Disney Cruise Lines is discouraging passengers from getting of in Nassau, Bahamas because of the elevated crime rates and murders.

Is Carnival monitoring this too and will they give any type of warning? What would it take for Carnival to decide to completely leave this port or substitute this port with some other Bahamas port?

Wow! Interesting...we're going to Nassau in a couple weeks. Will be interested to see if any warning is made...

Sidenote..when we stopped in Ocho Rios this past summer, our CD vehemently made MULTIPLE statements/warnings for people to stay alert and never let go of their children's hands while out in port. This was the first time this type of warning had ever been made, it honestly made us a little nervous..

Carnival won't stop going to Nassau, but if it's a problem the cruise industry will put pressure on the local government to stop it. That's what happened a few years back when a group attacked an excursion tour.

Carnival just partnered with another group to purchase Blackbeard's Island and re-open it as Balmoral Island where CCL guests can use their Sail and Sign cards to have a beach day or do a dolphin swim.

Edited by Carnival_Brides

I went to Ocho Rios two years ago and felt pretty unsafe. I was with my husband (and I'm not a small woman, I'm 5'11) and some guy grabbed my arm and tried to pull me into his "cab". My husband stepped in and I was ok. There was a lot of drug and prostitution offers as well.

We did an excursion and felt very safe and secure. It was just walking the streets. We are pretty well travelled and don't often feel unsafe. If Nassau is anything like that I might consider staying on the ship.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Sapphy

Stopped in Nassau a few weeks ago during our cruise on the Liberty. They made announcements and it was posted in the funtimes that there had been a travel warning issued for the island, and to use caution while off the ship.

Regardless of whether Carnival makes any warnings, we're being very cautious when we go to Nassau this summer. Water taxi straight to Atlantis and back. Done.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Stopped in Nassau a few weeks ago during our cruise on the Liberty. They made announcements and it was posted in the funtimes that there had been a travel warning issued for the island, and to use caution while off the ship.

Same for us when we went in December on the Victory.

Just back from the Victory, i was in Nassau last friday. A warning was in the Funtimes. We walked around the port and felt very safe, a police officer was at every corner of each street.

It's a shame it has gone downhill like that. Nassau has never been a favorite port for us, but that said- we've never felt unsafe. It's unfortunate for so many US ports who really only have reasonable access to the Bahamas. I mean, the central and south florida ports have options and could avoid Nassau, but New York, Charleston and Jacksonville have fewer options when going south.

I hope that the cruiselines can put pressure on the government to make it safer since Carnival will be in port until 1am when these concerts start.

Bill

I didn't think about this. Being out at night is even more dangerous than daytime and passengers will now have extended time in the port in the dark.

I would be back on the ship before the sun sets, but that is just me.

Those who choose to stay out late should stay close to the ship and use EXTRA caution!

Edited by thecruiserofships

Just back from the Victory, i was in Nassau last friday. A warning was in the Funtimes. We walked around the port and felt very safe, a police officer was at every corner of each street.

I noticed this when i was in Nassau a few weeks ago:

P1010405.JPG

The crime contributed to our decision to go with Balmoral for our family. I hope this was the right decision -we sail in April. I don't think it is completely out of the question that they may eventually cancel the port -they did that in Mexico.

This is interesting considering the announcement with the concert series where certain sailings will be in Nassau until 1am for the concerts.

I was thinking then that Nassau isn't somewhere I'd want to be roaming around at 11pm or midnight. Even a Sunday morning where most everything was closed was enough for me. It's one of the few places I've ever felt uncomfortable and I'm one of those cruisers not at all bothered by places like Belize and Panama.

Everyone should keep in mind crime can happen anytime anywhere .

Even in tourist friendly areas. My mother was robbed and thrown against the sidewalk, fracturing her arm, in broad daylight right at Bayside Marketplace in Miami.

I noticed this when i was in Nassau a few weeks ago:

P1010405.JPG

Yea WOW they look intimidating! I'm sure the thugs who mug tourists are really afraid of these pretty-jacketed gazebo cops.

Even in tourist friendly areas. My mother was robbed and thrown against the sidewalk, fracturing her arm, in broad daylight right at Bayside Marketplace in Miami.

Wow! That's awful! Amazing what people will do....sadly.

I just read online that Disney Cruise Lines is discouraging passengers from getting of in Nassau, Bahamas because of the elevated crime rates and murders.

Is Carnival monitoring this too and will they give any type of warning? What would it take for Carnival to decide to completely leave this port or substitute this port with some other Bahamas port?

Perhaps I'm taking the post way too literally, but I just checked the DCL and CLIA web sites to see if something about this had changed over the weekend. I found no adjustment in text about port safety at this location, but perhaps I'm not looking in the correct spots.

Was this something that was found online from DCL, or was it something printed and handed out to the passengers (in addition to the standard safety warning about ports of call) encouraging them to stay onboard in Nassau??

Thanks for any info. ;)

Port safety in all locations is so important. May we all continue to not let 'vacation brain' take the place of good ol' common sense.

Happy cruising!! :)

CANADA: http://travel.gc.ca/destinations/jamaica

AUSTRALIA: http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Jamaica

Bit the US state depth has nothing... go figure. I will not cruise to jamaica right now. Sorry but I'd rather stay on the boat than worry the entire time I'm supposed to be relaxing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk