Carnival's Response to Growing Nassau Crime Rate

thecruiserofships

This stuff is always way overblown on these boards! I mean if cruises stopped going to every island that had any kind of safety concerns you would be down to like 5 ports of call, and then all the same people would be on here complaining that they are tired of the same ports over and over again. Just use common sense, same as you do here in the good ole US of A!

I just read online that Disney Cruise Lines is discouraging passengers from getting of in Nassau, Bahamas because of the elevated crime rates and murders.

Is Carnival monitoring this too and will they give any type of warning? What would it take for Carnival to decide to completely leave this port or substitute this port with some other Bahamas port?

That's really interesting. We didn't get off of the ship the last time we were in Nassau because the time before that--just within the past two years--we were at Senor Frogs with another couple, and we believe that something was slipped into our friend's drink. He only had one drink while we were there for a few hours in the afternoon, as well as going through the conga line and having those shots as well. The rest of us were fine, but he was incredibly messed up, and it was scary. After that, we read online that there are a lot of pick-pocketing and mugging going on in Nassau. We also don't get off of the ship anymore in Jamaica. Just don't feel safe there. We cruise for the cruise itself, not necessarily for the ports, although sometimes they do factor in.

Everyone should keep in mind crime can happen anytime anywhere not just in other countries. My friends husband was robbed at gunpoint in our neighborhood a few years back. It's a nice neighborhood, in broad daylight next to a 7-11.

If i survived 35 years in lower east side of nyc where many of the law and order episodes are based on...and survived the crime rate of 80's-90's in nyc...bahamas is safe to me. It can happen anywhere in USA.

That's really interesting. We didn't get off of the ship the last time we were in Nassau because the time before that--just within the past two years--we were at Senor Frogs with another couple, and we believe that something was slipped into our friend's drink. He only had one drink while we were there for a few hours in the afternoon, as well as going through the conga line and having those shots as well. The rest of us were fine, but he was incredibly messed up, and it was scary. After that, we read online that there are a lot of pick-pocketing and mugging going on in Nassau. We also don't get off of the ship anymore in Jamaica. Just don't feel safe there. We cruise for the cruise itself, not necessarily for the ports, although sometimes they do factor in.

That HAPPENS IN BARS IN OHIO, Cali, texas, ny,etc

The ship and the ocean is why I cruise. The ports are further down on my list of reasons to cruise.

I guess you have never cruised to Alaska, Hawaii, Europe, Mediterranean, Canada? Because if you thought the way you say, you would miss some pretty amazing things.

While the cruise is nice, where you are going is what makes cruises memorable. While we have stayed on the ship several times when cruising, only because we have been there several times before and the weather made us rethink getting off.

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

If i survived 35 years in lower east side of nyc where many of the law and order episodes are based on...and survived the crime rate of 80's-90's in nyc...bahamas is safe to me. It can happen anywhere in USA.

Im of the same opinion. Just last week, my house was buglerized. You should be cautious every where you go. I keep my head on a swivel at home and away. I won't let some percieved form of danger ruin what I have going on.

We were just in Nassau about 2 weeks ago. We walked on our own around town. Went to Queens Stairs, distillery, etc and had no issues at all. In fact people were all very nice to us. We just are like anywhere a where of our surroundings.

We were just there Janurary 4th of this year, we hired a private taxi tour right at the end of the pier, he turns out to be just a great guy (he spent time in the US in College and working a bit then moved back to Bahamas) Mario from GoToGuy Taxi and Tours. We felt very very very safe the whole time and although we have been to Bahamas several times before we have never been to Queens Staircase and the Fort before, he took us there at it was well worth seeing, the Staircase was a really interesting stop along our tour.

Don't sit on the ship and not see Bahamas at all , that is just a shame. Feel Free to contact me via email and I would be happy to share Mario's contact information. I have corresponded to him several times since we got back and sent info to several others wanting to book a tour with him.

megator2@aol.com I am glad I asked him for his business card as I have been able to share his info with others on the Port of Call Boards! Again, he made us feel very safe at all times!

Is that a nice, safe walk? Going there in May with two 20 yr old girls so wondered if the water taxi or a regular taxi/van would be best for us to take to Atlantis. We are only in port till 5:00 so will be spending all our time at Atlantis.

We've done the water taxi a few times and consider it very safe. They've built a very tourist friendly walkway with shops on both sides along the way. Very open with nice views. Lots of tourists mingling around. It begins near where the water taxi drops you off and ends near the Atlantis.

Just like with anything, if you stick to the tourist areas you should decrease your chances of unpleasant encounters.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

I just read online that Disney Cruise Lines is discouraging passengers from getting of in Nassau, Bahamas because of the elevated crime rates and murders.

Is Carnival monitoring this too and will they give any type of warning? What would it take for Carnival to decide to completely leave this port or substitute this port with some other Bahamas port?

We just got back from the Bahamas via Carnival Sunshine. They did post a warning in the Fun Times and several times on the morning show and shopping show. They specifically warned against wearing jewelry, taking a handbag, putting wallets in back pockets or carrying a lot of cash. We took very little with us and booked the excursion to Atlantis through the ship. There were no incidents as far as we know.

That HAPPENS IN BARS IN OHIO, Cali, texas, ny,etc

Yep, that's very true, stuff can happen anywhere. We happened to have an experience in Nassau though. Crime has escalated there in the past few years, so it's important to keep your eyes wide open. We had been warned to watch for pick-pockets in Rome too. We didn't have any problems, but glad we knew that so we could be even more alert.

Just a question to those that have been there recently. I understand about jewelry and such, but what about cameras and phones? We get off in Nassau and want to call home, you use your phone, if that safe?. Also, I am an avid photographer and carry my camera and bag everywhere. I simply cannot keep the camera packed away in the bag until I am ready to use it as I am continually taking pictures. It is not a top of the line camera, but nice enough. Is this a wise thing to do?

Cheers

Len

Just a question to those that have been there recently. I understand about jewelry and such, but what about cameras and phones? We get off in Nassau and want to call home, you use your phone, if that safe?. Also, I am an avid photographer and carry my camera and bag everywhere. I simply cannot keep the camera packed away in the bag until I am ready to use it as I am continually taking pictures. It is not a top of the line camera, but nice enough. Is this a wise thing to do?

Cheers

Len

I would just stay in public areas, keep a close hand on your stuff, and stay aware of your surroundings.

The fish fry is a group of local restaurants just off Junkanoo beach - yummy food at ridiculous prices (low - not high) - we love walking over there - it's kind of a long walk, but it's right along the beach. Just get off the ship and walk like you're going to Senor Frog's - keep following the sidewalk around the corner - there are signs pointing the way. If you're mobility impaired, the#10 jitney will take you there, too, but we like the walk.

That said, after reading through this thread, there was only one time we had an uncomfortable incident in Nassau - my teenage daughters and I had grabbed a cab from the cruise port to go to the Sheraton, Cable Beach and the cabbie tried to drop us off in a deserted stretch of the beach telling us "you'll like it here better". We refused to get out of the cab and after a very awkward argument with the cabbie, he finally relented and took us over to the Sheraton - at the time I wondered what he was thinking, but now wonder if he had some kind of "set up" to deliver stupid people to someone at that location. When we did get to the Sheraton, he tried to overcharge us as well, telling us the original quote was for the location he'd taken us to, first - but a quick wave to the bellman and our fare was back to the originally quoted fare. This was probably in 2012 -

He either had people waiting to rob you as you walked by or maybe he just wanted to head back to the cruise port as quickly as possible to get more passengers. Either way you handled it perfectly.

Part of the problem is that often cruisers are not "smart" travelers (and this is not meant in any offense to anyone). Everyone is on the cruise to relax and lets their guard down, and then they get off the ship without a care rather than being very aware of their surroundings and where they are going. You are perhaps going to a strange country and you need to keep your guard up and be "smart" about yourself and your surroundings at all times, whether you are eating, drinking, touring, shopping or just walking around.

Douglas...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ship and the ocean is why I cruise. The ports are further down on my list of reasons to cruise.

I agree completely! I have said many times that if they ever have a cruise that just sails around and stops nowhere, I would be fine with that. I love the boat and the ocean, I am ambivalent about most ports. I know this is not practical as we need to take on supplies, but the ports are not what I cruise for.

Why take a cruise at all if you're just going to stay on the ship? I was just in Nassau a few weeks ago. Walked all over with my Mom and we never felt unsafe. Use common sense and be alert, you know, just like at home.

Because you like the ship? I almost never get off ship in Belize, mainly because I don't like the port. Part of cruising is about the ship and what it has to offer. Best time to see that is when most people are in port.

Part of the problem is that often cruisers are not "smart" travelers (and this is not meant in any offense to anyone). Everyone is on the cruise to relax and lets their guard down, and then they get off the ship without a care rather than being very aware of their surroundings and where they are going. You are perhaps going to a strange country and you need to keep your guard up and be "smart" about yourself and your surroundings at all times, whether you are eating, drinking, touring, shopping or just walking around.

Douglas...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly -I've always called it "vacation brain." You see it anywhere you find large numbers of tourists like amusement parks, resorts, Williamsburg, Pigeon Forge, etc. Folks are on vacation, they are relaxed, and they let their guard down. Add to that being in unfamiliar surroundings and it makes them easy prey for crooks.

Nassau is still the only port I've ever been in where I got that "something isn't right" feeling and got back to the ship quickly, but people do need to be aware anywhere they are traveling. I see cruisers all the time with open purses, backpacks, flashing jewelry and wads of cash - that type stuff just makes you a target. I mentioned places like Williamsburg above... what you have to keep in mind is that crime is kept down in places like that due to the U.S. law enforcement system and presence. Crime is still there, but not as much of a concern. Other countries may or may not have as good of a system in place.

Yep, that's very true, stuff can happen anywhere. We happened to have an experience in Nassau though. Crime has escalated there in the past few years, so it's important to keep your eyes wide open. We had been warned to watch for pick-pockets in Rome too. We didn't have any problems, but glad we knew that so we could be even more alert.

I think telling passengers to be aware of things is good. Passengers tend to let their guard down when on vacation no matter where they go. If Carnival didn't warn about safety issues, sure enough someone will crop up and blame Carnival for not telling them.

One thing I do when walking is watch if someone is walking too close to me. I do a quick turn as if I changed my mind about something. Men shouldn't carry wallets in their back pocket. I even go so far as to close up a pocket with a small safety pin, making it not accessable.