Dinner Time

megann831

we always do the early dinner, and I'm always right on time. This is our 1st time with our kids, so I assume we may be running a little late some nights, I'd also like them to be able to see the waitors sing and dance. If we show up between 6:15 and 6:30 that's ok right?

Well, according to John Heald's recent postings about late diners.........I think 15 mins. late was the ruling. The MDR would be closed after 15min. according to John's postings.

It would be nice of you to have your own table so that other diners don't have to wait on you, but its not required. I know how kids go. My brother has a 6 year old, 2.5 year old, 1 year old and we are waiting for number four to be born (adoption). They are joys, but you can't always control how things go with kids.

Edited by brooklynfc

I think it would be even more important to be on time with kids than without as they can cause dinner to derail at anytime anyhow. When 2 adults show up late, although inconsiderate, the staff can rush things a little to get everyone back on schedule. This might not be possible with kids, of course that's age dependent though.

I agree that ATD might be best that way you don't have to worry about being late. You can always ask to be seated in the same section daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is going to be our first time trying the anytime dining - but we chose it because we want a bit more flexibility with our kids (7 & 10). Does the waitstaff still perform for the anytime diners? I haven't been on Carnival in a while, but I know in the 90's we loved the performances. I know my kids will enjoy it as well.

we always do the early dinner, and I'm always right on time. This is our 1st time with our kids, so I assume we may be running a little late some nights, I'd also like them to be able to see the waitors sing and dance. If we show up between 6:15 and 6:30 that's ok right?

I don't recall seeing how old the kids are - which might change my answer. But, as others have already pointed out - arriving in the MDR that late is going to be a problem.

ATD has already been suggested - which may be your best option.

But - if you'd prefer - you could just choose to do the Buffet/Deli/Pizza, etc. if there turns out to be a night (or two) that you can tell you are not going to get to the MDR "on time".

Edited by happy cruzin

There was some talk on John Heald's blog that they might be making a hard time to close the door on people coming in late. I am sure that if they did something like that it would be well publicized.

The waiters do preform at ATD, around 7pm, most nights on the Dream. We did that with our 2 kids, 9 & 12. It worked out well. We requested the same waiters every night, but didn't have to worry (or yell) if someone was pokey getting ready. One less thing to worry about

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, that's not ok. In fact, that's quite rude. Dinner is 6, arrive at 6.

If you can't be there then, register for Anytime or late dining.

I want to respond just because of my experience on my first cruise on the Carnival Paradise. We had early dining. We took the kids to dinner with us the first night. All went well. I hate being late so we always strive to be on time. That being said, the second night we found our that our kids could eat in the Lido with camp Carnival with other kids and they really wanted to do that. We were told to drop off our kids at 6pm. Ummm, our dinner started at six. They told me not to worry about it. We did have our own table and we're not seated with others. Every night we would drop off the kids at the Lido deck in the assigned area. They did not take kids until strictly 6pm. Then we high tailed it to the Mdr for our dinner. We were never more than 10 minutes late but we were never on time. This was just my experience and it seemed like the Paradise was extremely laid back. We are going on the Dream in February and we have early dining again so we'll see how that goes this time. But there was no way we could have been on time due to the timing of camp's dinner schedule compared to our own.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

If getting to dinner on time is a concern Anytime Dining may be best for your family.

We do early dinner times when we travel with our ds until this year. He'll be older and we are moving to later dinner time.

It's just a rule for us. Be on time, or to to the Buffet. It's inconsiderate to make others wait.

Even if you're at your own table, it disrupts service for the others in your area if you're 30 minutes late for dinner. I would plan extra time to get ready so that you are on time.

I'm a big planner and always on time, so I'm used to people coming after me, maybe it wasn't as much later as I thought. I have requested our own table. I've heard not so great things about ATD. What are your opinions on that? On port days I don't know if we'll make it back, so I figure there would be 2 nights we'd be in the buffet, but maybe ATD would be a better option. We should show up around 6:30 then if we want the kids to see the wait staff perform at 7?

I'm a big planner and always on time, so I'm used to people coming after me, maybe it wasn't as much later as I thought. I have requested our own table. I've heard not so great things about ATD. What are your opinions on that? On port days I don't know if we'll make it back, so I figure there would be 2 nights we'd be in the buffet, but maybe ATD would be a better option. We should show up around 6:30 then if we want the kids to see the wait staff perform at 7?

I answered on your other thread. ;)

Basically I think with a group of 2 - 4 ATD is a great option, definitely worth a try!

Which ship/itinerary are you sailing??

I wouldn't see an issue with 6:15, but 6:30 is too late and disruptive to the servers. The only reason I say 6:15 is okay is because last week on Splendor there was such a line to get into the dining room at 6:00 and they didn't seem to open the doors until about 6:03-6:04...so til the last few days of the cruise we just waited until about 6:10 so that we didn't have to stand like a bunch of cattle being herded into the dining room.

Anything beyond 15 minutes late is unacceptable. We took our grandkids on the Paradise last April (2 & 4) and were always on time for dinner. We have just booked another cruise for March with the kiddos and again, will be prompt to dinner. It is unfair to others at your table to be late.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

DH and I sailed on the Legend the week of Thanksgiving 2013 and had early dinner. A table of 6 older women sashayed in every night between 6:30-6:45pm and not all together either. We found it to be terribly rude and quite disruptive to our service. We had a table for two and on each of the 7 nights, the wait staff would be attentive at first, but as soon as those women started arriving, our service went down the tubes. We would have dirty dishes in front of us for 10-15 minutes. Several times we ordered dessert, but it never arrived, so we just got up and left. The wait staff had to rush around and serve those rude women first - they all seemed pretty chummy with our head waiter. We asked other tables' wait staff to clear our table several times. We let Carnival know in our after cruise survey and gave them the names of our wait staff, also. On Holland America, the doors were closed at 15 minutes past the set hour and we wondered why that didn't happen on the Legend? This was our 31st cruise and 21st on Carnival, so we are not newbies. Letting the MaitreD know, which we did once also on a Carnival ship, can be counter intuitive and the head waiter will be worse than what was going on before something was said. Fortunately, this has only happened to us twice in 31 cruises - number 32 is coming up the day after tomorrow.

Come on people, you know when dinner time is scheduled. If you can't get you and your family in gear to be on time, then select anytime dining. I disagree with the original poster -- No, arriving at 6:15 or 6:30 is not okay - not okay for your wait staff or for your fellow passengers who will suffer for it.

No. Others at the table will not want to wait up to 30 mins for you and your family. I agree with others that YTD may be the way to go.

I agree, I hate waiting on other people and DH and I really don't enjoy sitting with others at our table. In this case, the OP should get their own table and ATD. We love it and don't have to wait on others, who may never show up.