Family Veranda (corner aft) VS Celebrity Suite

rosskeys88

Just booked our first M-class ship (Connie) after sailing previously on the Century (Aft Century Suite) and Soltice (AQ).

We are cruising for the first time with our 3 year old--and thought that the extra space in the FV interior + the space on the veranda would be great for us to spread out. However, now that the Celebrity Suite has added a small veranda, I'm wondering if we might be happier with that room. The cost is about $950 more for us to upgrade.

Thoughts????? Pro's/Con's?

Thanks in advance Celebrity Cruisers!!!

Just booked our first M-class ship (Connie) after sailing previously on the Century (Aft Century Suite) and Soltice (AQ).

We are cruising for the first time with our 3 year old--and thought that the extra space in the FV interior + the space on the veranda would be great for us to spread out. However, now that the Celebrity Suite has added a small veranda, I'm wondering if we might be happier with that room. The cost is about $950 more for us to upgrade.

If you are a balcony person, stay with the corner aft...the balcony is HUGE! The CS gives you more points per day, and better accommodations, but I love the balcony on the corner aft!:)

BILL

Don't you need 5 people for the FV, at least until they release it for fewer? Or has this changed?

Yes, you need five for an FV, unless it has been released for general sale. My spouse and I were very lucky to snag a corner FV on the Infinity for our TA this past fall. The "balcony" was amazing -- a private deck.

Infinity8166deck2_zps4321b3ec.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

Looks like the FV's balcony is amazing. If you are a balcony person and you are planning to spend a lot of time there with your 3 y/o, it will be a great choice. To me the suite life is about the small details, the Bvlgari bath products, butler services, breakfast in Blu (my favorite), priority embarkation, one or two free specialty restaurants, reserved area on the shows, a bathtub (big plus with a toddler), etc. I also like the layout of the Celebrity suite, you even get a dinning table. I know a lot of people love their AFTs, we had one on RCCL, a Royal Family suite, and it was amazing. But again, think about the long walks with your son. Both choices are great, just trying to give you some pro's and con's. :):)

Check out post 9 here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1962177

The first picture is a 1A veranda on Eclipse, but the rest of the pictures were taken inside and outside our corner FV on Infinity (9156)

I would say that you would need to be extra careful that a 3 yr old didn't climb the balcony; as you can see ,the corner balcony is extended and enclosed.

Edited by upwarduk

I know a lot of people love their AFTs, we had one on RCCL, a Royal Family suite, and it was amazing. But again, think about the long walks with your son. Both choices are great, just trying to give you some pro's and con's. :):)

I just want to point out for the OP that the M-class ships have three sets of elevators and stairs (only two on the S-class), and that the cabins in the stern are very convenient to the aft-most elevator bank and stairs. Really easy to pop up to the buffet and the pool deck, for example, or down to the MDR. (This is not true on the S-class, where it's a really long way from the stern to the nearest elevators and stairs.)

Edited by Turtles06

Thanks all! I think....

Still haven't decided :(

We really are balcony people, but have never traveled with a 3 year old. The last time we sailed in the Century Suite, we really didn't use the butler. But we DO want to do breakfast in AQ. What might a butler help out with re: our 3 year old daughter.

Also, its a 5 day--not a long cruise.

Lastly, can anyone give a short highlights on the 3 year old program onboard? Will we be able to get ANY time to ourselves (my wife and I, that its;) ) ?

Thanks in advance!!!!!

A corner aft...major score. I dream of having that cabin again. At night you can relax and hear the singer below, and take turns doing drink runs 1 quick stop below,while your toddler has a room essentially to himself. We thought about how delightful that room would have been when we were cruising with our kids...now grown up. I think space trumps a butler every time.

My husband and I are booked in a C2 on the Infinity. Recently, three FV's on deck 8 became available. It would have been an additional $700 for the two of us. While we would have loved the huge balcony, especially since our cruise has several sea days, we were concerned that the FV may be noisy since the ones above and below likely have 5 people in them. I have also read on CC about people having "get togethers" on their balconies since they are so large - one post discussed how many people you could fit on your balcony. This could also add to the noise factor. Can anyone who has stayed in one of the FV's on the M-class ships comment on this? We are looking for a fairly quiet relaxing time on our balcony (not so much that others can't talk while on their balcony...but that's another story!!!) We decided to stay put for now and of course, the FV's were snapped up right away. I just would like to be more informed should the opportunity present inself in the future.

My husband and I are booked in a C2 on the Infinity. Recently, three FV's on deck 8 became available. It would have been an additional $700 for the two of us. While we would have loved the huge balcony, especially since our cruise has several sea days, we were concerned that the FV may be noisy since the ones above and below likely have 5 people in them. I have also read on CC about people having "get togethers" on their balconies since they are so large - one post discussed how many people you could fit on your balcony. This could also add to the noise factor. Can anyone who has stayed in one of the FV's on the M-class ships comment on this? We are looking for a fairly quiet relaxing time on our balcony (not so much that others can't talk while on their balcony...but that's another story!!!) We decided to stay put for now and of course, the FV's were snapped up right away. I just would like to be more informed should the opportunity present inself in the future.

I sailed on Infinity in the FV corner aft 7th floor (vista?) above the penthouse suite. It was AMAZING! The space was spectacular. The loooong hallway at the entrance buffered any noise in the hall (at the back of the ship there were very few wanderers). In the room was myself, hubby and 2 kids (10, 12). There was ample space... Though the bathroom was tricky... Separate room for the kiddos next time :-). We had zero noise issues from next door (there was a rambunctious kid whom we heard on sail away and never again. No noise from the HUGE anniversary celebratory family in the penthouse below (had to be 25 people on that deck on the first afternoon ... They said they were all family celebrating mom and dad anniversary). Noise was NEVER EVER an issue, and I'm a light sleeper.

My parents on the same ship had a celebrity suite. Mom was recovering from 2 years of 4 major surgeries, so the suite was a splurge. She fell in love with her butler. They ordered breakfast room service every day. The room was enormous and the view was spectacular. I'd have a difficult time choosing between my room and theirs.

I'd probably feel more comfortable in the CS with a 3-yr-old... You can enjoy the outside without going outside (the windows are plentiful and floor-to-ceiling). The deck is narrow and my parents spent very little timeout there (but would prop the door open for the fresh breeze). Whereas in the aft FV in order to enjoy the scenery you must be out on the deck... Easily climb able by an ambitious toddler. I love the extra indoor dinning space of the CS and the huge bathroom. Mom liked the convenient mid-ship location close to elevators. No noise issues even though they were near the elevators (this was a concern for them as we'll). All in all we were both very happy with our rooms, but the CS just made you feel really special.

Now for a Penthouse splurge...!!!!!

Have done both FV and CS. The FV balcony is great if you are having a party for a lot of people.

For only 2 of us, or even 4 of us, we much prefer a CS.

The attraction of the FV balcony was the "wow" factor upon first seeing how big it was. But in reality it turned out to be mostly wasted, unused space with only a few people.

Also we do not care for that solid white metal enclosure on the corner FVs and would rather have the full, clear panoramic views from a CS.

For practical and usable interior living space, the CS has a real, full-sized living room. It is larger, more comfortable and attractive with better furnishings than the interior sitting area of the FV.

The living room of the CS has a full dining table plus a coffee table, while the sitting area of the FV has only a coffee table.

We also prefer the more convenient, central CS location.

But there is the price difference to consider which can be appreciable at times.

For those who care about Captain's Club points, another factor for consideration is getting only 3 points per day for the FV but 12 points per day for the CS.

Just thought of one more important thing to add for consideration when traveling with a 3 year old.

Those corner FV balconies have open railings on the side (seen on the left side of the photo in post #4) which can be very attractive to any young child who is a climber.