My Ruby Princess Review (dogs allowed on board??) 01/23/14-01/27/14

Dreamer333

There is a video on a DCL board about a service dog that got invited to a play date with Pluto.

Any dog that was brought on board performed some type of service. I can't see a person going through all the paperwork for a dog that would probably be best left in a kennel.

One of the dogs on your cruise was a service dog. She is a toy poodle named Honey . The reason the man in the wheelchair did not respond to you is because he is DEAF. The dog was trained for 9 months to be a guide dog for the deaf. The man likes to dress up the dog and that is his choice. That poodle does more then you could imagine for him. BTW I do not know what dog Pam was referring to on the Royal, but I can assure you the poodle NEVER eats at the table and never in public. She is trained to have very good manners and sleeps under the table when his owners are dining..

Also in order to bring a service dog on a cruise, you MUST show proper documentation. No fake service dog would be allowed. Also for each port you go to, the service dog needs special paperwork, often extra shots or a vet visit and yes all this paperwork does cost money.

Unfortunately many people abuse the service dog certificate. That ruins it for those who actually spend the time and money having a real service dog trained. BTW Princess DOES NOT allow emotional support dogs on their ships, only real certified service dogs

Do not know about dogs that are part of the entertainment as I have never seen that. One more thing, cruise ships can ask for certification papers and do. They are not bound by American laws that state you can not ask for certification because the ship is not registered in the USA.

Hope this clarifies for you about service dogs on board a cruise ship.

Since he was talking to the dealers I assumed that he had normal hearing.He spoke normally but must have been reading lips.

Since there is no government regulations regarding service dogs, numerous websites have popped up selling kits for any type of dog you want to register as a service dog.

No dogs allowed in the park, on the beach, in the farmers market, no problem, pay $69.99 and your pet is now a service dog.

All the owner has to do is carry the card with them, the dog is not required to wear the vest.

Gotta love the people that take advantage of this and make a mockery of the system.

Yes the guy with the poodle can read lips. Remember when football coaches use to not cover their mouths with a clipboard or something and then they found out people are pretty good at reading lips? That was when all coaches started covering their mouth.

Also my daughter-in-law is a vet and she would NEVER give out service dog certificates. Don't know if any would but that is unethical.

LOTUS SPA

My husband and I did a couples massage on our last day, and it was WONDERFUL!

We checked into the Lotus Spa where they handed us robes (mine was HUGE, lol) and pointed us to the locker rooms to change. We then went into another waiting area with water and fruit, and we filled out our paperwork.

We were then greeted by two young ladies who took us up to the Sanctuary area and into a covered cabana with two massage beds side by side.

They addressed our concerns (sore muscles, etc), and offerred us an upgrade to a hot stone massage for an additional $10 per person, which we took advantage of.

They told us to undress to whatever level we are comfortable with, and they left the cabana.

We settled ourselves in and enjoyed the massage tremendously. My massage therapist was able to find a few spots that I didn't realize were so tight, and she worked those suckers good! It hurt, but it was that "good" hurt because I know she was fixing me up.

What I love about the end of the massage is they took my right hand, and put it in my husband's left hand, and we held hands until we were ready to get up. (I believe this is standard because they did they same thing when we had a couples massage on the Emerald).

We got back into our robes, and they came back in the cabana with water and let us know we need to hydrate throughout the day because of all the toxins we were releasing.

One thing I wasn't very comfortable with is that they tried to sell us $495 worth of vitamins and oils. Now I know that is how they make money, so I understand why they do it, but it is a little awkward. However, they were very polite and not pushy at all when we said no thank you.

The only other issue that was a bit uncomfortable was when my husband signed the bill, he started writing in a very large tip, so I had to point out that a tip was already included (I think it was about 15%). My husband is an overtipper anyways, so I knew he would give them extra anyways, but it was uncomfortable discussing it with them sitting right there in front of us, watching us.

But overall, it was a wonderful relaxing experience and I will do it again on our next cruise!

Oh I should probably add one more thing about this...

Later in the evening my husband was experiencing some stomach issues and he couldn't figure out why. It dawned on him that the hot stone massage DOES do a great job of releasing toxins, and that is exactly what he was experiencing. It was nothing serious and there was no needs for any medication, but it is something to note.

LOTUS SPA

My husband and I did a couples massage on our last day, and it was WONDERFUL!

We checked into the Lotus Spa where they handed us robes (mine was HUGE, lol) and pointed us to the locker rooms to change. We then went into another waiting area with water and fruit, and we filled out our paperwork.

We were then greeted by two young ladies who took us up to the Sanctuary area and into a covered cabana with two massage beds side by side.

They addressed our concerns (sore muscles, etc), and offerred us an upgrade to a hot stone massage for an additional $10 per person, which we took advantage of.

They told us to undress to whatever level we are comfortable with, and they left the cabana.

We settled ourselves in and enjoyed the massage tremendously. My massage therapist was able to find a few spots that I didn't realize were so tight, and she worked those suckers good! It hurt, but it was that "good" hurt because I know she was fixing me up.

What I love about the end of the massage is they took my right hand, and put it in my husband's left hand, and we held hands until we were ready to get up. (I believe this is standard because they did they same thing when we had a couples massage on the Emerald).

We got back into our robes, and they came back in the cabana with water and let us know we need to hydrate throughout the day because of all the toxins we were releasing.

One thing I wasn't very comfortable with is that they tried to sell us $495 worth of vitamins and oils. Now I know that is how they make money, so I understand why they do it, but it is a little awkward. However, they were very polite and not pushy at all when we said no thank you.

The only other issue that was a bit uncomfortable was when my husband signed the bill, he started writing in a very large tip, so I had to point out that a tip was already included (I think it was about 15%). My husband is an overtipper anyways, so I knew he would give them extra anyways, but it was uncomfortable discussing it with them sitting right there in front of us, watching us.

But overall, it was a wonderful relaxing experience and I will do it again on our next cruise!

BTW I do not know what dog Pam was referring to on the Royal, but I can assure you the poodle NEVER eats at the table and never in public. She is trained to have very good manners and sleeps under the table when his owners are dining.
I have no idea who the owner or the dog were, but the dog was in the IC being fed scraps on the table. The food was being offered to the dog which ate it. The dog was nowhere near the floor or under the table. I'm only reporting what I saw.

Also in order to bring a service dog on a cruise, you MUST show proper documentation. No fake service dog would be allowed. Also for each port you go to, the service dog needs special paperwork, often extra shots or a vet visit and yes all this paperwork does cost money.

Do not know about dogs that are part of the entertainment as I have never seen that. One more thing, cruise ships can ask for certification papers and do. They are not bound by American laws that state you can not ask for certification because the ship is not registered in the USA.

Hope this clarifies for you about service dogs on board a cruise ship.

Just a couple of comments here. We have been cruising with a Seeing Eye dog for almost 20 years (from the Seeing Eye, the oldest Guide Dog school in the US). We were some of the first to cruise with a Service dog and had been featured in magazines/articles as we were pioneers in this. We have cruised all the major lines except for NCL with the Seeing Eye dog.

Cruise ships are required to follow ADA regulations. This is a Supreme Court ruling for ships that state this. On a quick search - here is more info on that (maybe not the best article): http://masglp.olemiss.edu/Water%20Log/WL25/25.2disabilities.htm

As far as requirements the Princess had - we had to submit a letter to Princess outlining what services the service animal provides to my mom on a daily basis and if they accept that, then the service dog can sail (also required that the dog receives the International Health Certificate, current vaccinations and other requirements). In the beginning, I often faxed a copy of my Mom's ID card with the dog but didn't the last few years as it wasn't asked for in what they requested. We dealt with the same person at Princess and she was familiar with us as we were frequent cruisers. Princess's language in their letter with requirements definitely changed through out the years.

As far as certification papers - there is no consistency on this from training schools. We received an ID card from the school (which my mom carried with her in her purse) and a letter stating that both my Mom and her dog have successfully completed training at their respective school. We never carried this with us.

Princess is very clear that "According to the U.S Department of Justice a Service Animal is not an animal whose sole function is to provide emotional support, comfort, therapy, companionship, therapeutic benefits, or promote emotional well-being.

If I remember correctly, cruise lines (and other establishments in the US) can ask what services the dog performs but can not ask what type of service dog it is. There is some weird language to this in the ADA. I may have the language wrong on this but it is similar.

There is a huge amount of people who are trying to pass non-service dogs off as service dogs. This is a huge issue. I have no doubt people have passed off their dogs as "service dogs" in various places including cruise ships.

Also, Cruise ship performers can bring animals/birds on to the ship for their acts. On one occasion, when Princess gave me back our International Health Certificate, they also handed me one of the entertainers who had a bird on the ship.

Edited by Coral

Just a couple of comments here. We have been cruising with a Seeing Eye dog for almost 20 years (from the Seeing Eye, the oldest Guide Dog school in the US). We were some of the first to cruise with a Service dog and had been featured in magazines/articles as we were pioneers in this. We have cruised all the major lines except for NCL with the Seeing Eye dog.

Cruise ships are required to follow ADA regulations. This is a Supreme Court ruling for ships that state this. On a quick search - here is more info on that (maybe not the best article): http://masglp.olemiss.edu/Water%20Log/WL25/25.2disabilities.htm

As far as requirements the Princess had - we had to submit a letter to Princess outlining what services the service animal provides to my mom on a daily basis and if they accept that, then the service dog can sail (also required that the dog receives the International Health Certificate, current vaccinations and other requirements). In the beginning, I often faxed a copy of my Mom's ID card with the dog but didn't the last few years as it wasn't asked for in what they requested. We dealt with the same person at Princess and she was familiar with us as we were frequent cruisers. Princess's language in their letter with requirements definitely changed through out the years.

As far as certification papers - there is no consistency on this from training schools. We received an ID card from the school (which my mom carried with her in her purse) and a letter stating that both my Mom and her dog have successfully completed training at their respective school. We never carried this with us.

Princess is very clear that "According to the U.S Department of Justice a Service Animal is not an animal whose sole function is to provide emotional support, comfort, therapy, companionship, therapeutic benefits, or promote emotional well-being.

If I remember correctly, cruise lines (and other establishments in the US) can ask what services the dog performs but can not ask what type of service dog it is. There is some weird language to this in the ADA. I may have the language wrong on this but it is similar.

There is a huge amount of people who are trying to pass non-service dogs off as service dogs. This is a huge issue. I have no doubt people have passed off their dogs as "service dogs" in various places including cruise ships.

Also, Cruise ship performers can bring animals/birds on to the ship for their acts. On one occasion, when Princess gave me back our International Health Certificate, they also handed me one of the entertainers who had a bird on the ship.

Good post and very true. It is the fake service dog owners who is making it difficult for those that truly need them.

How do you know that they are not service dogs?

Also, I have seen dogs on board who were part of an entertainer's show.

In 2008, I was on a cruise that had a group of blind people. There were lots of dogs on board. Several dogs didn't like sharing the cramped space in the elevators with 2- 3 other dogs. Frequently, there would be puddles left behind. Their sizes range from small to very large. I was surprised to see the little service dogs.

On the shorter cruises, the "surf and turf" consists of steak and two large shrimp. I missed the lobster tails. We could have gotted lobster tails at the specialty restaurant, but it wasn't worth spending the extra money...

what place has the lobster?

I am a dog lover. I LOVE my Yorkie. He is my son. He has accompanied me around the world to Australia, Bali, Singapore, Frankfurt and all over the US., (flying 1st class) etc. as my career took me those places. He is here with me now as I type this. The LAST thing I would do is buy a fake ID so I could take him on a cruise. It's MY vacation. Why would I want to worry about him being in the cabin when the steward goes in? Even worse, why would I want to drag him all over the ship EVERYWHERE with me? He is much happier at home with a pet sitter in his own environment. I am much happier enjoying my relaxing cruise. I DO believe that those with service dogs onboard, have a true need for them and are NOT fake service dogs.

I can't find the article but there was someone in NJ who was charged with fraud for 'certifying' animals as service animals for $99. The most common type of fake in this case was a 'seizure' dog, since the person didn't actually have seizures the dog never needed to do anything. It was patently obvious these dogs weren't service dogs, but since they had paperwork from a 'licensed trainer' restaurants etc had to let them in.

It's the same issue that arises with Handicapped parking placards among other things, and I don't know there is a practical solution.

I can't find the article but there was someone in NJ who was charged with fraud for 'certifying' animals as service animals for $99. The most common type of fake in this case was a 'seizure' dog, since the person didn't actually have seizures the dog never needed to do anything. It was patently obvious these dogs weren't service dogs, but since they had paperwork from a 'licensed trainer' restaurants etc had to let them in.

It's the same issue that arises with Handicapped parking placards among other things, and I don't know there is a practical solution.

Its the world we live in!

I DO believe that those with service dogs onboard, have a true need for them and are NOT fake service dogs.

Service dogs are professionals and act like professionals. They are well trained to handle pretty much any situation that is presented to them (I am reminded of the Guide dog who was with his partner on a top floor of a building that was hit during 9-11) and the dog guided his partner to safety during a very intense time. Pure professionalism at its best.

I do believe that most people are honest and would never think about passing their pet off as a service dog. As with most anything (handicapped parking permits, handicapped cabins on ships, hiring a disabled person to go with them to Disney World to get in the quicker line), there are the few that try to abuse the system and don't think rules belong to them.

For example of abuse - Guide dogs use a harness that most people are familiar with. I receive a newsletter from the Seeing Eye and there was an incident a few years ago where a harness with the Seeing Eye's name showed up on Ebay for sale. When the Seeing Eye found out about this, they asked Ebay to remove it and they did. Now, they request that if a dog retires, that the owner returns the harness to the Seeing Eye so it doesn't accidentally get in the wrong hands by a non-service dog owner.

This is truly sad. I can see how this type of dog could be "faked" as the individual with the dog doesn't look like they need a service dog (invisible illness).

Seizure dogs are a newer form of Service dogs and provide a great benefit to their partners by detecting seizures in advance of the person having one so that they can get to a safe place (ground, bed, etc…) before the seizure occurs.

For the most part, my friends who have Service dogs are more than happy to talk about the type of dog they have and the services the dog provides. They view it as a way to educate other individuals. Especially kids that come up to them and wonder why certain people can bring their dog into a restaurant and they can't.

My husband and I got back yesterday from a WONDERFUL vacation aboard the Ruby Princess.

I posted live on enbarkation day and I noted that when I checked in, I felt as though I was at the DMV. The gentleman checking us in was very abrubt, non-friendly, and almost borderline rude. But nothing was going to get in the way of enjoying our vacation.

We were among the first to arrive and we received priority check-in and got on board pretty quickly.

The first thing I did was go up to the Santuary to try to get a spot. The young woman told me they were all sold out for the week and for the day because B2B cruisers can make reservations on the last day of their cruise for the following cruise. In a very polite way, she basically informed me it was nearly impossible to get a booking for the week unless I'm doing a B2B cruise. (I personally don't think that is fair, but those are the rules). She told me to make sure I come early the next day if I wanted to book for the day.

They open at 8am, so I went up at 7:30am, and there was already a long line, so I turned around and went and ate breakfast. I didn't try again for the rest of the cruise because it just wasn't worth getting up at standing in line.

However, I did visit the Sanctuary area when my husband and I got our couples massage up there. (More on that later).

In regards to my title "dogs allowed on board??"... I was very surpised to see SEVERAL dogs on board! Now, I'm not talking about service dogs... I'm talking about little fluffy dogs wearing bows and dresses. They walked around the piazza on leashes. This is the first time I've ever seen a pet dog onboard! Is this new? Do they pay the fare of a second or third guest? Lol.

More to come...

Those were not pet dogs.

We were on a cruise a few years ago in which there were about 25 service dogs and their owners; most of the passengers requiring the service dogs were blind, but there were also dogs who were trained to detect seizures. Princess notified us well in advance that we would be sharing the cruise with the group and their service dogs, so anyone who was uncomfortable about being on a cruise with dogs was given enough advance notice to bow out, if they wished.

I was fortunate enough to share a table in the dining room several times with some of the owners and their dogs. The dogs were extremely professional and well behaved, and you would not even suspect that they were there had you not seen them enter the dining room.

One morning on deck, they had a playtime for the dogs, which was a hoot!

I wouldn't hesitate to cruise again with these wonderful dogs and their owners; they are far more pleasant than some passengers I've encountered!

I know the OP raised the question about dogs on board, but I thought this was a trip review thread. Maybe you outght to take the service dogs discussion to another thread.

Just my personal opinion.

Kathy

I think the title of the thread and the OP's initial comments pretty much ensured that this is going to be a "dogs on ship" conversation.

This is truly sad. I can see how this type of dog could be "faked" as the individual with the dog doesn't look like they need a service dog (invisible illness).

Seizure dogs are a newer form of Service dogs and provide a great benefit to their partners by detecting seizures in advance of the person having one so that they can get to a safe place (ground, bed, etc…) before the seizure occurs.

For the most part, my friends who have Service dogs are more than happy to talk about the type of dog they have and the services the dog provides. They view it as a way to educate other individuals. Especially kids that come up to them and wonder why certain people can bring their dog into a restaurant and they can't.

that's interesting about the seizure dogs, I have not heard of these. As my son could use this service, I will have to check into it.