New Mexican Restaurant NOS Sabor

Living in Texas (San Antonio), and being able to get a great Mexican lunch for 4.99 including tea, I really doubt that we can justify paying $25.00 for a meal at Sabor on NOS. That is $50.00 for me and DH and $75.00 if we added DS who only needs a few bean and cheese from Taco Cabana and he is happy. He can go to Sarentos and pizza and he is fine.

I guess I will be interested to see how Sabors does in a ship in Texas.

Here is the menu and I just cant justify the price

http://issuu.com/hochmania/docs/sabor/1?e=2025714/6441446

Living in Texas (San Antonio), and being able to get a great Mexican lunch for 4.99 including tea, I really doubt that we can justify paying $25.00 for a meal at Sabor on NOS. That is $50.00 for me and DH and $75.00 if we added DS who only needs a few bean and cheese from Taco Cabana and he is happy. He can go to Sarentos and pizza and he is fine.

I am here in SAT as well... And there are many different Mexican restaurant experiences in town... Most seem to do well. People pay 1.00 for tacos at a little hold in the wall... And then an arm and a leg for a tourist trap,like mi tierra. There are plenty of other places around town that are quite expensive. I bet Sabor does well.... Wouldn't be surprised if the food is amazing... And worth the experience.

Maybe? I still cant justify the money for the "experience", but that could because we have the experience here any time we want.

There will be reviews, so I will wait and see. It will be interesting

Hubby is a cheap-skate and I think we would do Chops before Sabors if we paid for anything extra.

We usually put our money into our excursions

I am here in SAT as well... And there are many different Mexican restaurant experiences in town... Most seem to do well. People pay 1.00 for tacos at a little hold in the wall... And then an arm and a leg for a tourist trap,like mi tierra. There are plenty of other places around town that are quite expensive. I bet Sabor does well.... Wouldn't be surprised if the food is amazing... And worth the experience.

Mi Tierra is a tourist trap. DARN that's the place I went to when I visited SAT:o

Concerning Sabor Im thinking this is a test restaurant for RCCL.

If it does well they will put it on other ships in the future.

Also with the rumour the Nav will be based out or San Jaun Maybe RCCL is thinking ahead to pull in revenue for those that fly into PR

Mi Tierra is a tourist trap. DARN that's the place I went to when I visited SAT:o

Concerning Sabor Im thinking this is a test restaurant for RCCL.

If it does well they will put it on other ships in the future.

Also with the rumour the Nav will be based out or San Jaun Maybe RCCL is thinking ahead to pull in revenue for those that fly into PR

Well, Mi Terra is the "experience" so in that case, you should have had fun. Next time you come to SA, we can suggest a ton of places for great cheap food.

Make sense that NOS wont stay in Galveston. I need to get on her before she leaves though

Maybe? I still cant justify the money for the "experience", but that could because we have the experience here any time we want.

There will be reviews, so I will wait and see. It will be interesting

Hubby is a cheap-skate and I think we would do Chops before Sabors if we paid for anything extra.

We usually put our money into our excursions

DH and I struggle with the concept of the 'specialty dining restaurants'. I believe it was a business decision to create an added way to increase revenue....fine. But fairly high added pricing (considering you have already paid for meals), for me and DH makes it a not interested idea.

Most of the choices, steak, shrimp, lobster are available in MDR over the course of a week.....the only specialty dining we may consider when we are on Allure in June is Izumi (Japanese). Decision hasn't been made for that one, just yet. Japanese food isn't on the menu in the MDR, and we do enjoy it, very much. So we will see.

I was a little disappointed in seeing the Sabor menu since I was hoping for a more "exotic" cuisine instead of the standard tex-mex menu. That being said I love tex-mex so I may give it a try. I hope to be pleasantly surprised. :)

Well, Mi Terra is the "experience" so in that case, you should have had fun. Next time you come to SA, we can suggest a ton of places for great cheap food.

Make sense that NOS wont stay in Galveston. I need to get on her before she leaves though

It was a great experience but will branch out next time to a local spot.

I have plenty in SF. Im still learning HOU but know Pappasitos is overpriced:eek:

Tha NOS has some great rates Oct/Nov especially MIL discount

Edited by jonbgd

It was a great experience but will branch out next time to a local spot.

I have plenty in SF. Im still learning HOU but know Pappasitos is overpriced:eek:

Tha NOS has some great rates Oct/Nov especially MIL discount

Did you get married recently, Doc? Congratulations!

~Patti :)

Thank goodness its not just me that thinks $25 for that menu is over priced. If they drop the price we might try it, but we can get nice Mexican food here with a drink for $25 a person.

Seems a 15-20 price per person would be more reasonable. Last week though fajitas for dd and me plus taco salad for dw with soft drinks for all ended up 55. Add 20 bucks more and an appetizer for each and sweet ending for each I suppose it prices out. But having paid for the cruise would expect a bit of a break over full at home dining room pricing.

I live in New Mexico. We can get GREAT Mexican/ New Mexican food for less than $10.00 per person any day of the week. I also somewhat like texmex but I don't think that I would pay $25.00 per person for some bland representation of my favorite cuisine.

I agree to a certain extent, but there is TexMex and then there is Mexican cuisine!

There are restaurants in San Antonio which would cost a pretty penny with drinks and have more upscale food....just like you can have steak at the Golden Coral but then there is Peppered Steak at Boudros on the river! MMMMM! But you better bring your plastic and some deep pockets.

SA is so rich and deep in numbers of fine and inexpensive Mexican food that any 10 people will all have a different fave. Mexican food is one of the most subjective foods on the planet. One place will have good salsa, the other will have good enchiladas or flautas or fajitas, but we all have our faves. Just don't try it in Montana! It won't meet your expectations of true Mexican. Then again, we visit New Mexico often and it IS NOT Texmex. But I still love it...posole...mmmmmm

I am willing to try it once, after all I am on vacation. But I have my doubts they will be able to please our TexMex palets, but we are traveling with folks from Tucson and a couple from Houston, can't wait to hear what they think. I loved the tortilla soup in Rita's when we did Radiance this last cruise, had it 3 times, but of course it was cheap. They called it chicken broth soup, but it truly was just like my favorite Tortilla Soup. I'm just glad they tried, we didn't have it for so long!

Edited by BecciBoo

Did you get married recently, Doc? Congratulations!

~Patti :)

No we didn't get married yet:o One of these days I will

I was talking about Military discount not mother in law

DH and I struggle with the concept of the 'specialty dining restaurants'. I believe it was a business decision to create an added way to increase revenue....fine. But fairly high added pricing (considering you have already paid for meals), for me and DH makes it a not interested idea.

I agree with this. I think we've done it twice on our past cruises, but we like the MDR experience for the most part.

I have seen Royal's website where the menu for Sabor is posted, and it says "Sample Menu." I am hoping that this means that the menu we've all seen is not the complete one that will be available. The sample menu only has a few items listed on it and I cannot imagine that Royal would ask for $25 pp and then provide that limited amount of fare.

We'll be on NOS Feb 23rd, so I guess I'll find out soon enough...

And I'm still hung up on the Barbacoa. I've never seen it made with short ribs. Barbacoa is made with cheek meat. I'm in Houston and there are Mexican restaurants on every block and one in between. Some are good and some are GREAT. Our favorite we pay, with a couple of drinks a piece, around $40 for dinner. Another great place are the taco trucks. YUMMY...but I would be careful where you go. Some I don't think I'd let my dog eat there.

It will be fun and interesting when people start reviewing and reporting back their experience at Sabors

Hubby went to lunch yesterday at Salt Grass and he ate for $10.00. I think he said, that he got water and no dessert. So if he added tea, appetizer, and dessert, then he might have spent 25.00.

So if Sabors gives out that much food, I understand the price.

Agree also with the specailty restaurants. We stick to the already paid for venues.