Norovirus

bichonsx2

Try not to use public restrooms on the ship. Keep your hands away from your mouth. I see people all the time in the buffet licking their fingers, that's a good way to get sick. If you have to use a public restroom, use the tissues by the door to open the door. Bring a can of Lysol and spray the door handles, toilet, TV remote, and lamps. Never been sick yet doing this.

I've heard that alcohol based sanitizers don't work. I wonder if alcohol based drinks work, because that's what I'll be killing it with next week.:D

Too much of the drink can make you sick too but if you have to be sick at least it was self inflicted.;)

Whatever you do, and particularly if you treat yourself, do not leave your cabin until 24 hours after the last symptom. That's how it spreads. People who feel they have to get their money's worth and leave their cabin are the ones infecting everyone else. The ship can clean and disinfect only so much and if people who are sick keep touching railings, door handles, elevator buttons, etc., the measures the ship is taking are ineffective. The responsible thing to do is to report your illness to the medical center so your cabin can be disinfected and measures taken to prevent the spread.

This is the best and only logical advice that I have read on this thread.

I think we should all go back to the days of luxury cruising and wear gloves! Stylish and more hygienic!

There's more truth than poetry in your comment. As noted in an earlier post, putting a barrier between yourself and the common serving utensils was a great piece of advice we've received -- be that a napkin, paper towel, or even using a clean set-up from your own table instead of the common serving pieces. The problem with that one, of course, is that other folks would suspect that you're using utensils you ate with. Gloves would work for me!

never had it - knock on wood - so I can't understand how people get sick in the dining room or buffet or theater. Do you not feel uncomfortable a few minutes before the illness strikes. I'm just thinking I would wait in my room til I felt better then go out, or is this a crazy virus that hits you so suddenly?

never had it - knock on wood - so I can't understand how people get sick in the dining room or buffet or theater. Do you not feel uncomfortable a few minutes before the illness strikes. I'm just thinking I would wait in my room til I felt better then go out, or is this a crazy virus that hits you so suddenly?

One minute you're feeling fine and the next you definitely aren't. It can come on that suddenly.

Going on feb 1... Just got letter from Princess they are returning early due to Noro Virus and will be disinfecting fri and sat. Enclosure from CDC attached..I guess the virus is incubated 48 hrs so people could be sick andc arching and not know it:(. And it is more prevalent in winter months

You can take every precaution mentioned here and still get noro. I always wipe down the cabin; we are the most cautious hand washers imaginable; do not use the public rest rooms, etc. etc. etc. As a case in point, my DH was one of those affected on the Coral cruise we just disembarked on Thursday. One minute you are fine, and the next you are unbelievable sick with repeated sudden vomiting and diahrrea. (My husband compared it to your status after taking a colonoscopy prep). The captain had reported earlier that day that the incidence was high enough for all precautions to be in place (no self service in buffet, no salt shakers, etc on table, and so forth). DH went to sleep at 10:00 PM feeling fine, and woke an hour later with vomiting and diahrrea (sp). The captain had sent literature saying to call 911 as soon as systems appeared. We did, and they provide medication and whatever puts electolytes back in your system immediately. He was quarantined for two days, and was called many times a day by a nurse, and our cabin was serviced and linens changed several times daily by a team wearing gloves and masks. I cannot fault Princess for their handling of both affected and unaffected passengers, except that in the International Cafe, they seemed somewhat clueless and the servers used no gloves and would sometimes pour a coffee refill directly into a cup passenger had already been drinking from, instead of providing a new one. I am writing a mini review of Coral later today, but wanted to respond on this thread now. I do understand that norovirus is rampant through the country right now and on lots of ships. I do think they should have precautions in place as if it were a high incidence already at the beginning of a sailing, during a season like this, and they do not (at least Princess does not).

Ellie

There's a tongue in cheek article on how to avoid Noro.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/jan/06/how-not-to-catch-the-norovirus

It's easy. Just imagine you're a murderer, that the entire world is your crime scene, and that if you leave a single fingerprint anywhere, you are GUARANTEED to die in jail. If you adhere to this rule, you won't touch anything with your bare hands, and almost certainly won't fall victim. You'll also get so good at opening doors with your elbows you'll feel like a Paralympian.

Hey, it's not that impractical. You get used to thinking like a killer pretty quickly, and the sheer challenge of it can be fun. Using the office loo, for instance, becomes a task from the Crystal Maze. Using a clean bit of toilet paper as a makeshift "glove" you can lift the seat, shut the lock, operate the flusher and then, if you're really good, spin round and unlock the door, then toss said "paper glove" down the swirling pan before the flush cycle finishes. Do it correctly and an entire forensic team couldn't prove you were there. You're a devious villain conducting the perfect crime, like the dashing guest star in the opening scene of a classic Columbo. Just like that. Apart from the bit where you pulled your pants down and did a poo.

Sometimes you may have to shake people's hands, which is problematic. The trick here is to imagine that you're James Bond, and they're a double agent who's just stuck a small explosive device to your skin. If you don't scrub it off with soap and water within 60 seconds millions will perish – starting, perhaps most significantly, with yourself. (Incidentally – and you can consider this a public service announcement – forget most hand gels, the majority of which will scarcely dent the norobastard unless the label specifies otherwise.)

I found this website when searching for info on the norovirius:

http://www.stopthestomachflu.com/Home/which-cleaning-products-kill-stomach-flu-viruses

At the start of the article, it states:

Regular Clorox® and Lysol® wipes from the grocery store DO NOT KILL NOROVIRUS!!!!!

The article recommends a new wipe available on the internet and from Amazon (where else?):

The Clorox company has a new line of Clorox Healthcare Hydrogen Peroxide products (spray and wipes) that have been tested and DO kill norovirus.

Washing your hands does not kill the virius (it takes water above 150F) but loosens the virius and the rinse under running water washes it down the drain. Be sure to run a lot of water in the rinse to do this.

Does anyone have any recommendations of medications to bring along just to have in case of a norovirus outbreak on your/our next cruise?? IS there anything that would be beneficial to have?

It is usually best to let the vomiting and diarrhea run its course. Taking medications to stop it can, for some people, be a bad thing. Some people at risk of severe dehydration may need medication. Really, you need to seek the advice of your medical provider or the ships doctor. Some people have mild symptoms while others get seriously ill. Don't self medicate. If you do take medications with you, be sure you know how and when your doctor would want you to use them.

I buy those disposable bakery gloves by the box ... IF something would start happening on my next cruise, I'll be prepared with that barrier!

Wouldn't be a bad idea to wear them at least in buffet :eek:

Washing your hands does not kill the virius but loosens the virius and the rinse under running water washes it down the drain.

Actually it doesn't wash it all down the drain but reduces the concentration ... which is why the most effective defence is washing and then using a substance that kills it afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...

reply to buffet question:

preface that my DH adn DD just had it. and DH is obsessive with hand washing. so we duno how he got it.

but:

we ate at the buffet bkfast/lunch/most dinners,

2 of us did not get sick, and my extended family also did not get sick (5 additional people).

so dont freak out.

wash hands.

use common sense.

Do not take elevators/or wash hands after. do not touch your face.

Just be aware.

Go to lunch as soon as it opens -- thus less pple touch everything.

use gels when u can't wash hands.

both my DH/DD had severe stomach cramps for 2 hrs before something starting blowing. and i mean blowing , in both directions....

but after that they were fine, stayed in room 24 hrs, watch tv, take it easy on food, sleep. :)