Cruising when there's a large group onboard.

OceansMurmur

Just learned that the cruise I just booked on Adventure of the Seas for the April 9th sailing has an R&B performer and fan group block booking of about 325 people onboard. Does anyone have any experience cruising with this size and type of group on board? Did it detract from your cruise? Were certain areas not accessible? Were you still able to access the production shows, ice shows, and other venues? I understand they have a number of onboard parties scheduled as well as performances by the R&B singer (open only to them of course). Anyone experienced this before? Really uneasy and thinking about cancelling but would love to hear others experiences. Thanks!

Just got off the Serenade last week with Vince Vance and 200+ fans. It took 3 days before I even saw Vince or any of his "groupies." I only recognized them because they had t-shirts with his name. One day as we were going into a lounge for a scheduled activity, we arrived about 10 minutes early and they were just finishing one of their activities. Also, the night we ate in Chops, there was a group of about 16 with Vince Vance. We were still able to get reservations, so they did not block out the entire reservation.

Think of it this way, that's 325 fewer people trying to get a pool chair when they have their own activities!

I was a little worried about it as well, and it turned out to be no big deal. If I had not been "looking" for the group (because, like you, I knew they were going to be onboard) I would have hardly noticed them. On a ship as large as Adventure, I would think it would not be a problem. It's only about 10% of the population. None of the production shows were affected at all.

Go, and enjoy your cruise!

I've been on with groups and some have had no impact and others have really ruined a cruise. The worst things are a herd mentality whereby the group feels they're somehow privileged and take over venues. Groups also take over venues on a daily basis so that those not with the groups can't enter. That can negatively effect your ability to participate in things that would be available if the group wasn't on board.

Cruise lines will not divulge if there's a group on board because they don't want mass cancellations if people don't want to cruise with a large group. But you can google your ship name and sailing date to see if any groups are advertising your cruise.

Earlier this month DH and I cruised with a large group out of San Juan with the young ladies celebrating their quinceaneara. It was really fun to see the beautiful dresses and the fun the families were having with this special event. It was intrusive only in that they traveled in large, indecisive groups that clogged up corridors and elevators.

I have also been part of quilting groups that took over the conference center for the week. I would like to think our worst faults were eating too many desserts and laughing too much.

One of the cruises also had a group that was doing a Magic, the Gathering competition. I think some of the cruisers may have been put off by the tattoos and grunge clothing, but they were very interesting to talk with.

I have been lucky with the group's we have been with!

On the Grand Princess last year, there was a group of about 500 (of 2600 passengers). Something called Cruise Critic Roll Call.

Seriously?

There truly were 500 CC'ers on your cruise?

That must really have been some M & G. :D

325 is a mere drop compared to the number of folks aboard. They will NOT affect your good time at all! Who knows...you might get to hear this performer, and enjoy it! Apparently, the performer is a guy named Keith Sweat....

Edited by cb at sea

You'll likely have no issues with that small of a group!

However, we did encounter a rather large group of around 1600 on Oasis last October from OmniLife. Now that was a very loud, rude and disruptive group. Not to mention they were trying to sell fellow passengers their products. We learned to avoid the people in purple shirts and still had a great time regardless. However, I will definitely try to avoid sailing with a very large group.

We've been on with groups of that size several times. The only issue we had was one of the groups set up a reception desk near the elevators on our floor. Often, when you went to the elevators or stairs, there would be a large number of people standing there and it was difficult to pass. After a few days, they were more courteous to those of us who were not in their group and left an open area for us to walk.

I've been on a couple with large groups -the only downside is that a number of lounges/common areas which are normally generally available are frequently set aside for the group's special activities - I think there would only be a serious problem if the group represented a major percentage of the passengers and their conduct or noise level was over the top - fortunately I've not experienced that. I do think, however, that the line should advise when some percentage level (25% or certainly 50%) is exceeded, because at those levels the group will almost certainly impact all sailing.

I have been on several group cruises with 300+ people, but for the most part we only congregated in venues that would not normally be open to the public.

But I have been on a couple of cruises where groups did in fact take over public spaces that essentially prevented anyone else from using them. Including the lobby bar, piano bar.

I was a member of a group of approx. 300 people on a cruise. We had a welcome aboard party and three private get-togethers in the afternoons of sea days. We did not eat together as a group. Some people had first sitting, some had second sitting, and the rest had anytime dining. We did not have a reception table set up anywhere. We did not take over bars (other than what is listed above). We did not take over the surcharge restaurants. All of the expected evening shows in the theatre took place.

After the cruise, I posted that I had been part of a 300 person group, and I asked if anyone on that cruise had been inconvenienced by us. No one said yes. Someone said "I was on that cruise, too, and I never knew your group was on it." People accused me of stirring the pot, but all I was trying to do was to show that a group of 300 might fly under your radar, and you would never know that we were on the cruise.