Info for a friend: Why would you choose RCL over another line?

cctimmom

I'm helping a friend book an Alaskan cruise... I am loyal to Royal (well, and Disney, but I don't think she would do a Disney cruise)... but I'm seeing that other lines have less expensive pricing for their Alaskan cruises. Personally, I would still pick RCL, but for those of you who have traveled other lines, what can I point her to in terms of one line or the other.

for example... the only thing I know about NCL is that they only serve Pepsi products.... that may sway ME, but not other people... :D LMAO

another example... Carnival is more the "fun ship" and Celebrity may not attract as many "young families" (these are the stereotypes I've heard, not that I know this for sure).

But if you saw a $500 difference between similar sailings, what other than price would sway you to one line over another?

TIA!

For specialty destinations like Alaska, some people prefer the more established lines that have a lot of ships there, such as Princess or Holland America. While most cruise lines send a ship there every year, some prefer the flexibility of having more ships and itineraries to chose from. While RCL is great for Caribbean cruises, I'm not sure it would be my first choice for Alaska (although I certainly would not exclude it from consideration).

Some of the smaller ships can get into areas that the larger ones can't. There are also expedition cruises to Alaska with a lot more in terms of close up encounters with the environment and wildlife.

I would compare price and itinerary. If you can get a balcony on Princess for the price of an ocean view on RCCL, I'd do Princess. If you've never cruised you won't know to see the differences. I like RCCL because I prefer the layout and luxury of the ship. I like the mix of people, from younger "partiers" to older. The bars are fun but you can also find a relaxing area. I have cruise Carnival. The ships (IMHO) are "glitzier." The focus is more around drinking and partying. The passenger makeup is decidedly different, more of the "party" types. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I had a great time on all 4 Carnival cruises. But I prefer the RCCL "experience" over all.

Did NCL. Ok... just not impressed. Haven't been back, probably won't go. Just not my type of cruising. I like traditional dining, etc.

Friends on Celebrity tell me it's a bit older crowd. Same with HAL.

Did Princess and really liked it. Similar to RCCL. But cost and itinerary brought me back to Royal. Still like Royal ship design better. But I'd do Princess, or Celebrity.

So, for me, I like the overall experience, passenger makeup, and definitely the design and luxury of RCCL. Now that I'm D+ I get too many perks to jump ship.

I'd tell my friend to do the cruise line that offers the best itinerary and price. But have them research the "experience" so they know what they can expect.

Although we are Diamond plus on Royal we choose by itinerary and price. We have done 44 cruises on all cruise lines except Carnival and basically think food, service similar on all of them. We've done Alaska cruises yearly for the last 10 years. If going early in season, don't choose Tracy Arm because glacier at end of long fjord and often ice in fjord prevents ship from getting to glacier. Glacier Bay or Hubbard glacier are better choices in May or June. Also most Royal ships don't have back deck off buffet so can't sit outside to eat and enjoy scenery.

It's been a while but we chose Princess over Royal for the itinerary in Alaska. Both Princess and Holland had better itineraries and we're Royal and Celebrity fans. There are certain areas that Princess and Holland have permits to go and other lines don't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We picked RCCL's Radiance for our Alaska honeymoon cruise 2 and a half years ago. It was DH's first cruise ever and my first cruise not with DCL. We were a little hesitant since we're both real Disney freaks, we love everything about Disney - the service, the people, the atmosphere - but DCL to Alaska was double the price of RCCl, so we decided to give them a try.

We chose RCCL over the other lines in Alaska first and for most because of itinerary. Then after looking at the different lines to compare we preferred RCCL's food options and onboard activities too.

When it comes to itinerary, you have to look at the different options and figure out what's the most important to you. Other lines take you to see more glaciers, and if that's a priority you should go with them. The Radiance's itinerary included 4 ports, while most other itineraries included only 3. The ship also was docked for many hours from early in the morning, allowing us to do lots of activities in each port. We really wanted to see as much of Alaska as we could on land, so we preferred an extra port over another glacier viewing from the ship (our itinerary included Hubbard Glacier. It was breathtaking! We'll remember it forever).

BTW, the Radiance DOES have an outdoor eating area in the aft of the ship.

We loved loved loved the cruise!!! We loved it so much we are now loyal to Royal. The service onboard is amazing. Everyone's so nice! They're really right up there with Disney, in our opinion. The ship is gorgeous, the food is great and there are so many activities going on all the time! It's like being in summer camp for adults. The a Radiance is also the perfect ship for Alaska because it has so much glass all over the place, so no matter where you are you see the beautiful views.

It's been a while but we chose Princess over Royal for the itinerary in Alaska. Both Princess and Holland had better itineraries and we're Royal and Celebrity fans. There are certain areas that Princess and Holland have permits to go and other lines don't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree with above poster...For us Glacier Bay was the highlight of the cruise, and unless things have changed, RCL does not have a permit to go into Glscier Bay. In Glacier bay,which is a National park! park rangers board the ship and narrate as you see wildlife and glaciers. Alaska is about the ports and itinerary, and both Princess and HAL have excellent service, food, etc. I would go with either the Coral or Island Princess as both have wonderful outside viewing decks.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

We chose RC for our first cruise, which was to Alaska. A tv show about the Radiance of the Seas in Alaska contributed to our decision. The ship has windows everywhere, even the elevators are glass. While cruising through Alaska the views are everywhere. We wanted to be able to see outside no matter where we were on the ship.

Our experience on this first cruise, including a major problem that was not RC's fault, where they chose to step in and help us resolve the problem to our advantage, made us fans of their outstanding service.

We have since done many cruises on RC and have been impressed with the outstanding service and beautiful ships.

I would pick Royal over Holland America, Carnival and Princess because on Royal you have so much fun.

While I have never sailed on the other cruiselines I've heard my friends talk about other lines and they keep coming back to Royal. Holland America is for the older folks. Does your friend want a ship that is pretty much shutdown by 9 PM or does your friend like to party the night away?

I love the Food on Royal along with the Tutti Salad Bar. They also have great restaurants such as Park Cafe, Cafe Promenade, Boardwalk Doghouse that is included as part of your bill. Chops and Portofinos/Giovannis table are great fee restaurants.

If your friend wants to be run over by Hovarounds, pushed and shoved in the buffet lines etc then sail with Holland America. One of my friends returned from a Holland America Alaska trip and said while its nice that older people like to cruise it wasn't nice being pushed out of the way in the buffet line, crowded elevators etc.

For me I pick the Cruiselineand ship followed by the Itinerary because if I were on a ship with people who think its ok to shove or run over me in their Hovarounds then I would just not want to be there. Now this may be somewhat of a stereotype but it was true for my friend. Also a ship that shuts down around 9 PM would be boring. Does Holland even offer Disco Music/Nightclub and fun activities for young people in their early 30s?

Remember its the ship you are going to be returning back to every evening just like your hotel room so pick a place that you want to come back to.

Even my Father would prefer going on Royal after I told him what happens on Holland America. Just because you have been doing Alaska longer does not mean your the best cruiseline out there. I would go on Royal's Radiance Class in a heartbeat.

Different strokes for different folks(:

Edited by travelplus

Allure of the Seas

Oasis of the Seas

Independence of the Seas

Liberty of the Seas

Freedom of the Seas

Voyager of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas

Adventure of the Seas

Navigator of the Seas

Mariner of the Seas

Enchantment of the Seas

Grandeur of the Seas

They all have been made in Finland, and I'm so proud of that :):):)

I'm helping a friend book an Alaskan cruise... I am loyal to Royal (well, and Disney, but I don't think she would do a Disney cruise)... but I'm seeing that other lines have less expensive pricing for their Alaskan cruises. Personally, I would still pick RCL, but for those of you who have traveled other lines, what can I point her to in terms of one line or the other.

for example... the only thing I know about NCL is that they only serve Pepsi products.... that may sway ME, but not other people... :D LMAO

another example... Carnival is more the "fun ship" and Celebrity may not attract as many "young families" (these are the stereotypes I've heard, not that I know this for sure).

But if you saw a $500 difference between similar sailings, what other than price would sway you to one line over another?

TIA!

In the "cruise industry", Princess is considered the best cruise line for Alaska,with HAL 2nd..you have not mentioned some important factors of your friend: age, kids, and how old? I am Diamond on Royal, but not loyal because I believe variety is the spice of life. I also don't go to the same restaurant or hotel all the time, either. We have cruised all but Costa & MSC ( although that may change soon when we may cruise the amazing MSC Divina next year..)..Disney ( IMO) has the best service and best entertainment ( does NOT include Oasis/Allure ships because they don't sail Alaska..) HANDS down..best buffet also...HAL & Celebrity have a more mature crowd, but remember that Alaskan cruises have a median age of 55, about 10-15 years older than Caribbean cruises, depending on the cruise line. NCL has Freestyle cruising, which we like, and draws a younger crowd along with Carnival.. What kind of perqs do you want? Alaskan cruise ships are smaller than Caribb ships- you will not find Mega ships that are more than 113-126,000 tons in Alaska..most are 80- 100,000 tons, something to consider if you like a lot of options...I encourage all to try other cruise lines, how else can you experience all the other great ships in cruising?

Big Al