H.A. Special Offers Not So Special!

CanadianTravellers

We've signed on for a Holland America Baltic cruise where they have a promotion that includes dinner in one of their specialty restaurants.

When I called Holland America to book us into one of these restaurants I was told that I could not do so. Paying people could but not those taking advantage of this "Special" offer. We have to wait until we on board the ship and then we will receive a notification of a pre-arranged day and time for us to use the Pinnacle Restaurant. SO THEY WILL TELL US WHEN TO EAT AND WHAT DAY TO EAT. We wanted to dine in this restaurant on a sea day because we knew that on other days we might not make it back in time for dinner due to full day tours - but obviously H.A. wants to keep the sea days open for paying customers not people taking advantage of H.A.'s lame offer. Just once I would like to see a special offer that didn't come with conditions, limitations and other garbage details that reduce it to anything but a special offer. I thought HA was better than this. A special offer is NOT special if you include restrictions ...... it just becomes a garbage offer.

Edited by CanadianTravellers
more information

We've signed on for a Holland America Baltic cruise where they have a promotion that includes dinner in one of their specialty restaurants.

When I called Holland America to book us into one of these restaurants I was told that I could not do so. Paying people could but not those taking advantage of this "Special" offer. We have to wait until we on board the ship and then we will receive a notification of a pre-arranged day and time for us to use the Pinnacle Restaurant. SO THEY WILL TELL US WHEN TO EAT AND WHAT DAY TO EAT. We wanted to dine in this restaurant on a sea day because we knew that on other days we might not make it back in time for dinner due to full day tours - but obviously H.A. wants to keep the sea days open for paying customers not people taking advantage of H.A.'s lame offer. Just once I would like to see a special offer that didn't come with conditions, limitations and other garbage details that reduce it to anything but a special offer. I thought HA was better than this. A special offer is NOT special if you include restrictions ...... it just becomes a garbage offer.

It does not matter if you paid full price or take advantage of special pricing. If you fall into that lucky special that gives you a free meal on HAL for oner of the specialty restaurants, you doi not get to choose what night to go. The only time Before you board the ship that you can choose in advance is if you purchase the Dining venue on line. (Hope that makes sense?)

We also have to wait for the Pinnacle Grill or whomever to tell us what night we get to dine on HAL's dime.

Would be nice to choose our own night(s) but, we will go with the flow:)

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

We have also booked a Baltic Sea cruise for this summer and our TA has added a complementary dinner at Pinnacle. This is not part of the Explore4 program so I understand that we will not be preassigned a dinner reservation. I did try to make a reservation on line but was unable to do so without paying with my credit card. I called ship services where I was informed that I could only reserve once on board. Is that what others have experienced? I was hoping to reserve before hand and then be reimbursed.

Cruisepucks

I did try to make a reservation on line but was unable to do so without paying with my credit card. I called ship services where I was informed that I could only reserve once on board. Is that what others have experienced?
Yes, that's SOP.

I have read on this board that some were able to change the date and time aboard ship. If your reservation doesn't suit you try to change it!

And a friend of mine, recently off a Noordam cruise, was able to choose the day and time, it was not assigned. There was a card in their cabin saying to call and make their reservation.

I will also be on a Baltic cruise next summer, and understand how the OP feels. There will be long days in port, and very, very few sea days. We plan to go with the flow -- if we are assigned a day and time we don't like, we will try to get it changed. We may even be lucky enough to have the same experience my friend had -- time will tell. ;)

We have also booked a Baltic Sea cruise for this summer and our TA has added a complementary dinner at Pinnacle. This is not part of the Explore4 program so I understand that we will not be preassigned a dinner reservation. I did try to make a reservation on line but was unable to do so without paying with my credit card. I called ship services where I was informed that I could only reserve once on board. Is that what others have experienced? I was hoping to reserve before hand and then be reimbursed.

Cruisepucks

This happened to us when our TA gave us a Pinnacle Dinner. Once on board there was no "good" time available. They suggested we switch to lunch but my husband doesn't like the lunch menu so ultimately they credited us the two dinners. Combining that experience with the two times we actually ate at the Pinnacle neither of which was very impressive we think we'll just avoid that venue on future cruises.

St. Louis Sal

Don't get too stressed the Specialty restaurants on HAL are nothing to write home about . You pay a hefty surcharge for food that is little better than the main dining room .

A Night at La Cirque was the WORST dining experience I have ever had at sea. A truly frightful clash of fighting tastes and spices that ruined the taste of basic food underneath . Caveat Emptor !!!

We are 5 star Mariners and can not choose before we board the ship when we wish to have the 2 free Pinnacle dinners offered to us.

It is only the people who get a free dinner via the Explore4 program or the Above & Beyond program that are assigned the time and evening that they can have the free dinner.

Several people have reported that they were able to change the day and time.

Keep in mind that sea days are very popular and book quickly.

A Night at La Cirque was the WORST dining experience I have ever had at sea. A truly frightful clash of fighting tastes and spices that ruined the taste of basic food underneath . Caveat Emptor !!!

Eeek :eek: That's awful -- what ship was that on?

95% of the time I have thoroughly enjoyed whatever I've had at Pinnacle, including Le Cirque. Of course there have been off nights but nothing I personally would have called the worst dining experience at sea.

Don't get too stressed the Specialty restaurants on HAL are nothing to write home about . You pay a hefty surcharge for food that is little better than the main dining room .

What ship did you experience a bad Le Cirque?

We have done it quite a few times in various ships and have enjoyed it every time.

One night that they will not assign people the free dinner -- Le Cirque night.

As an FYI. We received a free PG dinner from our TA on our last cruise. I had already picked out the days and times I wanted to schedule PG and other dinners. My TA was able to call HAL and book the specific time and date for our gift dinner.

To the OP. In the overall scheme of things, this is really a small issue to worry about now. Maybe it will all work out and you'll get what you want. And, if you want to eat at the Pinnacle on a sea day, make an online reservation, pay for it now, and you'll have two meals there. Not a bad deal.