No Upgrading for Paid Passengers!?:(

oceanlovinmama

I don't see where Carnival is in the wrong. Maybe you should take issue with your TA for not knowing how the fares work. Also, how could you not know that you booked a cabin on deck 2? Did your TA book you in the cheapest possible room hoping for an upgrade?

Edited by Rena921

Yes but what if I bought bananas 5 times before at this store and I brought 4 other people with me.

Has anyone else ever had this problem?? What was their excuse?? Am I wrong for being angry??

They obviously have the bananas, why not take my money, let me get new ones and sell my old ones to someone else.

WOW Carnival...just WOW. :rolleyes::D

I've bought their bananas 12 times and brought 17 other people with me--I still had to follow the ES rules. They denied price drops for us on our wedding cruise during the "Sea the View--Feel the View" promo. Ours cabins with 2 people were eligible for the drops because they were trying to sell 7A cabins with 2 guests--they denied it for all of our 7As with three people because that wasn't the cabin category they were selling for three guests.

They're not saying you can't upgrade, they're just saying you can't use it with this sale because you don't meet the requirements. People on other lines (Disney comes to mind) have to play games all the time to get lower prices after final payment--CCL makes it easier by far.

This

You buy a bunch of bananas at the grocery store. Three days later the store puts the rest of their bananas on sale so they can sell them before they spoil. You still have the bunch of bananas that you bought, are you going to go back and request a refund? Same concept is at work- if the cruise line does not fill a cabin that cabin is "spoiled", so when the sailing date starts to get close they start cutting prices to prevent loses due to spoilage.

+

This

Yes but what if I bought bananas 5 times before at this store and I brought 4 other people with me.

Has anyone else ever had this problem?? What was their excuse?? Am I wrong for being angry??

They obviously have the bananas, why not take my money, let me get new ones and sell my old ones to someone else.

=EXPLAINATION for the simple minded

Bravo!

Even an idiot could understand that ;):D:rolleyes:

I'm going on the Glory in February and back in September booked a mid ship oceanview with picture window. At the time I didn't realize I would be on deck 2. I usually do balconies but for this trip I wanted to save some money as I'm cruising to the Baltic in May.

I have to agree with the others, there are some rates out there that clearly state they are for New Bookings only. I am a little confused as to how you didn't know where your cabin was when you booked. Even if you booked a guarantee your agent should have made it clear what the lowest category was that you might receive.

It all depends on contracts. Perhaps upgrading is not able to be done by the agent directly but can be done over the phone, in which case carnival would be "stealing" the sale. For a more common example, how many times have you gone into a cell phone store and had something done best buy said cannot be done. Often it can be done but because of contracts, means the store doesn't get paid by the provider since the store is not authorized to do it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

You sound like you must be a travel agent and know how this works behind the scenes but what you say doesn't make sense to me. (maybe I'm thick headed):)

As for the anaolgy about the phone my answer would be zero.:)

Bill

Edited by S.S.Oceanlover

I deal a lot with contracts that have specific stipulations if I want to get paid not travel though. Once I've committed something to the system, I get paid on that. If it doesnt match the company records exactly. I get nothing. I would understand if carnival did the same thing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Wow...lots of mixed thoughts on here. 1st off, my travel agent did call and talked to several levels. I called as well. The price of the guaranteed balcony was LESS when I first booked our cruise than it is now but we wanted to save a little money because we are going on a Baltic cruise in May. Yes, there is a higher price I could upgrade to that allows me to pick my room. It's another 200.00. Too much. I just thought it would be no big deal to give Carnival 400.00 to upgrade to a balcony, when they upgrade people for free occasionally or for minimum amounts. I've done this after final booking on other lines, so it didn't occur to me they wouldn't do it. I knew I was on deck two, my roommate didn't and is freaked out about because of the Costa incident.....silly maybe as I've cruised many times and will still continue to. The Glory is a great ship and I'll have fun, it just would be better in a balcony. As for the bananas, I worked in returns and we would gladly take the bananas back to keep a customer happy. I've taken back cake that had been nearly finished because it was stale, shoes that were worn but uncomfortable, tomatoes that were rotten but 2 were missing....all to keep a customer happy. My $400 or a 1st time booker, seems the same in the long run to me.

I really didn't want things to get nasty on here, sorry for putting forth my frustrations as to what seemed like a simple problem, but Island Hopper58, I'm not a simple minded person, just maybe not as cruise savvy as you. Geez, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all....that's what I was taught.

Try this on a royal booking and see what happens. I think Carnivals process is way better than Royal's (in this regard). People (not saying the op is doing this) try and manipulate rules all the time to their advantage. P & G rates are for new bookings pure and simple.

My $400 or a 1st time booker, seems the same in the long run to me.

Actually not true (and thank god we are not using bananas any more, I hate analogies). The difference is they already have your booking. With a new booking, it is one less cabin unbooked. Under your scenario, it is oness cabin booked and a discount for the cabin they already had sold.

As to your other comment about how we can get riled up on comments, questions and replies, it does happen. Just try and remember most are here to help (maybe not the answer you want to hear :o).

You buy a bunch of bananas at the grocery store. Three days later the store puts the rest of their bananas on sale so they can sell them before they spoil. You still have the bunch of bananas that you bought, are you going to go back and request a refund? Same concept is at work- if the cruise line does not fill a cabin that cabin is "spoiled", so when the sailing date starts to get close they start cutting prices to prevent loses due to spoilage.

To answer your very non cruise related Question/explanation, NO to the banana,s! lol

But you buy a cruise on ES that allows refund/price difference/upgrades on price reductions until final payment then all of a sudden the cruise isnt selling so the price reduces drastically! will I want a price reduction if i have ES? Yes of course I will.

A reduced cruise price is not marketed at those who have "already booked" it is marketed at those who have "not yet booked" so each and every lower rate advertised after a person has purchased ES should apply! I know it doesnt but it should.

How on earth people can compare buying perishable fruit to price matching an ES cruise fare is quite mind boggling lol

To answer your very non cruise related Question/explanation, NO to the banana,s! lol

How on earth people can compare buying perishable fruit to price matching an ES cruise fare is quite mind boggling lol

You are right. A cruise is much more perishable then fruit.

With fruit you can still sell the brown bananas at a discount. With a cruise once the ship sails, the value is ZERO.

I have to agree with the others, there are some rates out there that clearly state they are for New Bookings only. I am a little confused as to how you didn't know where your cabin was when you booked. Even if you booked a guarantee your agent should have made it clear what the lowest category was that you might receive.

So you believe there are lower cruise prices released just so those already booked can get a discount? If this was the case then all those already booked at a higer price would receive the reduction automatically.

Any new lower rate is advertised to attract "a new booking" so to put in a disclaimer "For new bookings only" and excluding ES is an oxymoron with regards to ES.

Some of us know this when we book others dont.

You are right. A cruise is much more perishable then fruit.

With fruit you can still sell the brown bananas at a discount. With a cruise once the ship sails, the value is ZERO.

Not quite true with sector cruise sales!

I am not sure I would accept brown bananas for the same price as yellow bananas just because I have purchased bananas before:p

She could up grade, just not upgrade using the pack and go rate she wants to. The pack and go rate is only good for new bookings. That keeps people from using it for early saver.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

...and it's not available until after final payment when the prices drop really low to fill the ship. Those rates have never been available to those holding bookings. :cool:

But you buy a cruise on ES that allows refund/price difference/upgrades on price reductions until final payment then all of a sudden the cruise isnt selling so the price reduces drastically! will I want a price reduction if i have ES? Yes of course I will.

A reduced cruise price is not marketed at those who have "already booked" it is marketed at those who have "not yet booked" so each and every lower rate advertised after a person has purchased ES should apply! I know it doesnt but it should.

I used the example to demonstrate how spoilage works, you get it or you don't. You buy a cruise with ES and agree to the terms and conditions, one of which is that you are only get price drops for those prices that you are qualified for, so if CCL offered a resident rate substantially lower than your fare and you aren't a resident of the state where it's offered then you don't get the price drop.

In the OP's case she doesn't want a price drop she wants to upgrade. So let's look at that one- the P&G rate for a balcony is now $400 more than what she paid for her inside. If CCL allowed her to switch then they would have to resell her original cabin at a price lower than what she's paid for it. Why would they do that when they've already received full price for the cabin?

Anyhoo, this is all moot discussion because a company may establish the terms and conditions that they want to whether those terms and conditions make sense to the customer or not. The customer may then choose with whom to do business. But when all of the companies have the same or very similar terms and conditions what then is a customer to do?