Sapphire 3-1 cruise

rowings

Just received an email that our boarding times would be staggered by deck assignment

Is this a new policy ? Makes it a little difficult for those of us that are traveling with friends on a different deck

It is not a new policy. In fact, it is not a policy at all. It is a request to passengers help alleviate the crush of folk and long lines caused by those who want to board as early as possible. You will not be turned away if you show up at a different time.

That said, IMHO there is nothing wrong with wanting to board early, it's your vacation and you deserve to get the most out of it. Also, I personally do not like waiting in lines on my vacation so I try to board after the initial rush.

It is not a new policy. In fact, it is not a policy at all. It is a request to passengers help alleviate the crush of folk and long lines caused by those who want to board as early as possible. You will not be turned away if you show up at a different time.

That said, IMHO there is nothing wrong with wanting to board early, it's your vacation and you deserve to get the most out of it. Also, I personally do not like waiting in lines on my vacation so I try to board after the initial rush.

Thanks I had never received a similar notification

In some ports, such as San Francisco, it is a "policy" for some cruises when it's anticipated that there would be large crowds. The SF cruise port is relatively small. San Pedro is much better set up so it's a request, not required. The purpose is to avoid long lines and stagger boarding.

I'm on this cruise and haven't received the email yet. No matter what, I plan to arrive according to my original plans, same as I did when boarding the Sapphire less than two weeks ago.

I've sailed from San Pedro a few times and I've never received a notice until today. It's called an "emergency notice". What pier does Princess normally sail from in San Pedro? I'm sailing in mid-March. It sounds like it's a different pier. See below:

Please be advised that Sapphire Princess will now be berthed at Pier 93 and embarkation will not begin until 12:30 pm. To ensure a smooth

smart to your voyage, we operate a progressive embarkation schedule. Passengers with a Preferred Boarding Pass may check in at any time

from 12:30 PM-3:00 PM, though we kindly request that you arrive during your recommended time. If you have booked a Princess Cruise Plus

Package or Princess Transfer, your check-in time will be provided at your hotel or airport. Boarding will commence shortly after check-in. Please

do not arrive prior to 12:30 PM, as your cabin will not be ready, and there are not adequate facilities at the pier to accommodate early-arriving

passengers. All passengers must be onboard by 3:30 PM.

By the way, I copied and pasted this, so the message did say SMART not START. LOL.

Edited by KruzPrincess

I just returned from a 4 day cruise leaving from San Pedro and there was no progressive embarkation email, but what resulted was a nightmare. The Platinum cruisers that arrived at 10:30 were given first letter boarding passes after suites, elites and back to backs. Our group was directed to sit in the first rows behind the Bon Voyage group. At about 12:00 boarding started, at the rear of the waiting area which meant those just arriving, walked right on and those that sat patiently for almost two hours, boarded last. I was told this was a new procedure.

I am sailing again in April and will inquire what the boarding procedure will be as soon as I check into the Platinum desk. Maybe, the progressive schedule will aleviate the illogical boarding system from the back of the room.

What pier does Princess normally sail from in San Pedro? I'm sailing in mid-March. It sounds like it's a different pier. See below:

Please be advised that Sapphire Princess will now be berthed at Pier 93 and embarkation will not begin until 12:30 pm.

Pier 93 is the standard terminal from which the Sapphire sails. It's the one closest to the Vincent Thomas bridge. Edited by Pam in CA

I've sailed from San Pedro a few times and I've never received a notice until today. It's called an "emergency notice". What pier does Princess normally sail from in San Pedro? I'm sailing in mid-March. It sounds like it's a different pier. See below:

Please be advised that Sapphire Princess will now be berthed at Pier 93 and embarkation will not begin until 12:30 pm. To ensure a smooth

smart to your voyage, we operate a progressive embarkation schedule. Passengers with a Preferred Boarding Pass may check in at any time

from 12:30 PM-3:00 PM, though we kindly request that you arrive during your recommended time. If you have booked a Princess Cruise Plus

Package or Princess Transfer, your check-in time will be provided at your hotel or airport. Boarding will commence shortly after check-in. Please

do not arrive prior to 12:30 PM, as your cabin will not be ready, and there are not adequate facilities at the pier to accommodate early-arriving

By the way, I copied and pasted this, so the message did say SMART not START. LOL.

Pier 93 is the standard terminal from which the Sapphire sails. It's the one closest to the Vincent Thomas bridge.

My friend was a bit worried when he saw an "Emergency Notice" in his email inbox. Now, why do they have to call it that? Way to freak people out, lol.

Thank you Pam for the Pier 93 info. When you read the email it sounds like the Sapphire will be leaving from a totally different pier.

Any idea when Platinum will get to start boarding?

Linda, all communications close to sailing seem to have "Emergency" in the subject. My guess is to make sure it's read.

Boarding can start any time between 11:30-Noon. One cruise might start at 11:30, the next at Noon, the next at 11:45am. On my Sapphire cruise a couple of weeks ago (from Pier 93), they re-boarded B2B passengers at 11:15am, Platinum/Elite at 11:50am. I don't think there were any BVE but I could be wrong. Some people with suitcases boarded early and I suspect they were a wedding party. One of the people on my roll call was getting married on the cruise. For my March 1 cruise, I plan to get there by 10:15 so I can park close to the walkway to the terminal.

Hope this helps!

Linda, all communications close to sailing seem to have "Emergency" in the subject. My guess is to make sure it's read.

Boarding can start any time between 11:30-Noon. One cruise might start at 11:30, the next at Noon, the next at 11:45am. On my Sapphire cruise a couple of weeks ago (from Pier 93), they re-boarded B2B passengers at 11:15am, Platinum/Elite at 11:50am. I don't think there were any BVE but I could be wrong. Some people with suitcases boarded early and I suspect they were a wedding party. One of the people on my roll call was getting married on the cruise. For my March 1 cruise, I plan to get there by 10:15 so I can park close to the walkway to the terminal.

Hope this helps!

On my last cruise, I had to park at the far end of the parking lot. The guy driving the shuttle said he would return but he did not. I had to drag my huge suitcase and case of water (uphill) to the ship. Thought I was going to have a heart attack :eek:.

Hope this helps!

We arrived early expressly for the parking reason, and we were given an E ticket, which meant we would be the first group of Platinum to board. However, we would have been the last to board had not a bunch of us complained about the new system of loading from the back and not using the tickets that were handed out. We "stormed the line" and boarded after about 8 rows from the back were led on the ship. Tickets were never called.

I would inquire whether boarding will be from the back or front of the Platinum lounge. No problem for suites or elites, A was called first. Parking was a breeze near the walkway at the earlier time.

I would inquire whether boarding will be from the back or front of the Platinum lounge. No problem for suites or elites, A was called first. Parking was a breeze near the walkway at the earlier time.
When I boarded January 20th, I was able to park in the 2nd space in from the walkway and after check-in, had "A" boarding as an Elite. My sister will probably request a wheelchair because she gets anxiety when in crowds or lines with people pushing. She's also Elite so whether she's in a wheelchair or not will probably make little difference.

When I boarded January 20th, I was able to park in the 2nd space in from the walkway and after check-in, had "A" boarding as an Elite. My sister will probably request a wheelchair because she gets anxiety when in crowds or lines with people pushing. She's also Elite so whether she's in a wheelchair or not will probably make little difference.

As an Elite, you will have no problem. Enjoy your cruise!

We got the "emergency" email for our cruise at the end of March. I was very surprised because I have never heard of the staggered boarding in the past. I love to have lunch on board & our time to board is after 2:00. My sister has MS & iu sea a cane because she has balance problems. Does anyone know if she can board earlier than our scheduled time?

We got the "emergency" email for our cruise at the end of March. I was very surprised because I have never heard of the staggered boarding in the past. I love to have lunch on board & our time to board is after 2:00. My sister has MS & iu sea a cane because she has balance problems. Does anyone know if she can board earlier than our scheduled time?

You can board based on the order you arrive sort of. Elites and suites and wedding parties and B2B go first. The you will be called according to the letter they hand you when you check in. Boarding does not take a long time, it goes pretty fast and smoothly.

I have not received an emergency email for our March 1 cruise out of San Pedro. I get emails stating "important information about your upcoming cruise" all the time and it says nothing important at all. It tells you how to spend money reserving spa and excursions and such, important only to the cruise lines revenue.

Princess ships are almost always berthed at Berth 93A. Once in awhile, they'll be just steps away at 93B. Not a change at all.

Another thing they've been pulling lately is "we had a sanitation inspection (or a CBP inspection) today and so you cannot get into your stateroom until 1pm (or 1:30pm)". That's a bunch of malarky. I believed it the first time, but week after week, passengers are being told this and it's just not true. :rolleyes:

I knew this was the place to come for answers! Got this notice today too . This is the first time I ever have seen this. However, we only tried to board very early the first few times we sailed. We learned in Alaska, that if we came a little later, it was a breeze to walk in. We just came back from our September Mediterranean cruise. We came to check in around 2:00 in Venice and just walked on ... NICE! I don't have the parking issue as my daughter will drop us off. Glad to hear the EMERGENCY notice was just a way to get your attention! Snowing here today and more snow coming Wed and the weekend.. California coast is looking sooooo good!:p