New Wine Policy - no more whining about wine

kazu

I am sailing a week from today and would love to hear about your experience wiht the new policy!

We carried on two cases (4 people with 6 bottles each) onto the Noordam last week. It's a pretty straightforward process. There's a check in table just past security. They write down your stateroom # and sticker your wines. Since you don't yet have a room key, it's a paper process. The $18 per bottle is then posted to your room. You can have 2 bottles without corkage for in room consumption.

We have our wine at dinner, so we paid corkage on everything.

If you wanted them to store some for you to take home could they have done that as well?

Yes. This would be especially helpful if you were on a wine focused itinerary.

If you wanted them to store some for you to take home could they have done that as well?

I doubt that; the cruise lines don't store your in-port purchases (souvernirs, clothes etc) so why would they do it for wine?

I doubt that; the cruise lines don't store your in-port purchases (souvernirs, clothes etc) so why would they do it for wine?

The *DO* store your in port purchases of liquor and wine. They're delivered to your stateroom on the last night of the cruise. It's been that way for years.

We plan to pick up some chocolate Curacao for a friend in 2 days and they will store it for us until we are almost back to Fort Lauderdale.

• 1 month later...

In response to a roll call I was requested to post also to one of these threads. In an effort to offer another perspective for longer cruises I offer the following. It would seem that another poster feels that the ships are not making money on any kind of alcohol or other items. Or, that it is necessary to have huge mark-ups to break even compared to land based restaurants. I would also offer that land based restaurants have labor expenses that are 10-20 times higher than ships that are factored in. As to the prices they are paying for the booze, I would submit that for accounting purposes what the company is actually paying per bottle is far different than what is charged against the ship's budget figures. It's where the profits actually come on the corporate books. And, I got that information from a Hotel Director who used to work in the home office on exactly this type of issue. But, again, I offer exactly what I sent to HAL today. I am sorry that some of you feel the new policy is fair. And, in some states you cannot take your own bottles of wine into a restaurant and pay a corkage fee. Nor can you take the remainder home.

Also, note that I was told today that it is ONLY one bottle per person at embarkation. No extra bottles at embarkation even if you are willing to pay the corkage fees on a case.

The post.....

Hi all,

As a lot of you know HA had in the past a very nice wine policy. That is you could bring what you wanted for cabin consumption on embarkation and in ports. Well, NO MORE. There is a new policy in effect that I just found out about. You can bring one 750ml bottle on board at embarkation and any other bottles bought in ports and brought on for personal consumption will have to be surrendered to them until disembarkation OR YOU CAN PAY AN $18 PER BOTTLE SURCHARGE to consume it on the ship, either in the dining room or YOUR OWN CABIN. And, we are going to two of the premier wine producing countries of the world, Argentina and Chile. I called both Reservations and the Mariner desk to confirm the policy. Reservations said call the Mariner desk and I got the following reply, "Everyone in the industry is doing it." (I hate that kind of mindless reply) and a suggestion that I email a letter to Guest Relations - they no longer have a phone number. I wonder why? And, they suggested I post it to their guest comment section, which I will do next. Since I was in such a great humor - NOT - I have decided to start a crusade. I would encourage all of you to protest. And, for those of you who think that this is a fruitless argument, I can tell you that this is all about selling their wine on board and their profits and stick it to the passenger. I have copied my letter to Guest Relations for forwarding to the appropriate person. Every word in it is true. I did all the research on it.

I realize that some of you are not going to agree with me, but I did want to let you know of this change that occurred at the end of January. It will affect quite a few of us. I really don't mind a corkage fee if someone else removes the cork, chills the wine, pours it and disposes of the bottle. But to surcharge my own personal purchases? I think that is going way too far.

My email to guest relations......

Hello,

Please forward this to the appropriate person.

I am a travel agent and my husband and I are booked on your 68 day Grand South America Voyage departing 1/3/15. We are also 3 star Mariners. And, this would be our 113th cruise, 80% of which have been on Carnival Corporation ships, so we are not novice cruisers. My husband was reading the new wine policy for passengers and we are now thinking of cancelling this voyage for the following reasons.

As I read the policy and as it was explained to me by the Reservations and the Mariner departments, a passenger who brings a bottle of wine back on board in a port of call will have to either surrender that bottle of wine until disembarkation or pay $18 per bottle for the privilege of consuming it in their cabin or in the dining room. I fully understand the concept of a corkage fee. However, for private cabin consumption this policy is completely ludicrous and is, in our opinion, simply a move that looks like a deliberate attempt to harm the passenger.

We sat and figured out that our average cabin consumption for two people for 68 days would be about 46 bottles of wine. At your rates we would be paying $18 per bottle for 44 bottles brought back on board (2 bottles would be brought on at embarkation) a total of $792.00 just to consume it on board over and above the purchase cost. And, you do nothing for that money for people who simply consume it in their cabins. Considering that you are going to visit two of the premier wine producing countries of the world, Chile and Argentina, many of your passengers would likely want to bring wine back with them. This would be especially true in Chile where one of your shore excursions visits one or more wineries. Most of those people would like to bring a bottle or two back also. In essence you would be taxing people for bringing back souvenirs from their trip. And, I am unsure if you have informed the tour operator that any wine purchases would be surcharged when the passengers return to the ship. Most of the wineries I know open their doors to sell wine, not just show the passengers how wine is made. I am not sure how happy they would be also to know that their sales could suffer greatly from this policy.

Also, this Grand Voyage can be booked as one 68-day trip or 3 segments. The person booking the Grand Voyage is now penalized because they only have one embarkation, but others, depending on the way they booked it, could have as many as three. Thus, the segmented passenger would be at an advantage over a loyal passenger who has booked the larger voyage.

I understand the purpose of this is to discourage passengers from consuming their own wines and encourage them to purchase one of your wine packages. There is just one problem that I see in that. I checked out one of the wine packages on your website. It shows that you have three possible packages 3 bottles for $102.35 (avg. per bottle $34.12), 5 bottles for $171.35 (avg. per bottle $34.27), and 7 bottles for $228.28 (avg. per bottle $32.61). I have a list of the wines you can choose from. I then went online and did a wine search. Of the 12 wines on your list 4 retail for over $10.00 per bottle. The other 8 retail for under $10.00 per bottle. That makes your wines at least a 200% mark up on 4 of them and a minimum 300% mark up on 8 of them and most of those are closer to 400% or more. And that is retail. I am sure that you get a further bulk purchase discount. Most people accept reasonable mark ups. That is how business is done and profits made. But, there comes a point where price points discourage demand and consumption. For several years now that is exactly the complaint I have heard from Maitre d's.

I do understand that you want to discourage excessive consumption. And I could understand this policy on party voyages of 7 days or less, but on a Grand or World Voyage of this duration?

As I am not a stupid person, nor are those people who can afford to book grand voyages or world voyages, I find it incredibly insulting that you actually feel that this new move of taxing or surcharging for a passenger's personal purchases that are brought on board is really going to enhance your image within your loyal repeat customers and encourage new customers. Since you are taxing or surcharging now for wine souvenirs because you would rather we purchase it on board, what is next?

I admit that I am going to be a bit facetious here, but seriously, what is next? If this stands, are you going to then surcharge or tax other items you sell on board that passengers purchase on land such as T-shirts, postcards, candy, water, sodas, magnets, pins, hats or anything else because your sales are lagging on board in certain areas?

Your hotel directors will tell you that the busiest time for the bars on your ships are the Happy Hours when the wine is half priced. Having witnessed it first hand I can tell you that if Happy Hour ends on a Holland America ship at 6 pm, at 6:02 pm the bar is virtually empty. Perhaps if the wine prices were say 1/3 less than they are now, more would be purchased. As I said above, I checked the wines in your packages and quite frankly, I wouldn't be interested in the wines in your package because I have tried them in the past and find them to be not to my liking. My husband, who drinks only quality red wines has seen none on your package that he would consider drinking. I know you have other wines on your wine list, but again, your price point far exceeds what a lot of people are willing to pay for it. An example would be your White Zinfandel which I can buy at home for around $5.99-7.99 per 750ml bottle. The last time I checked you were selling it for just about $28.00 per bottle. Anyone who looks at that price and knowing the length of voyage they are on would be hesitant to buy a bottle. At $18-20 it's far more attractive.

I am asking that someone take a really close look at this policy and dump it and go back to the older policy where a person could bring wine on board as long as it wasn't excessive and let your hotel directors decide what is reasonable for their specific voyages. Your line visits most of the premier wine producing countries of the world; France, Spain, Italy, Australia, New Zealand, Argentina, Chile and the US. This policy does not make sense except to the accountants. It certainly won't encourage me to take this voyage or any other of a great length. Far from it.

To illustrate that point. This particular voyage will cost us with airfare, cabin, taxes and insurance almost $50,000. However, as this policy dampens my enthusiasm for the voyage, I am quite seriously thinking of cancelling my trip. In that case, your company will probably in the end lose $40,000 or more of my money. I wonder how many other bookings you are losing and don't even know it.

My husband, a retired judge, quite frankly is feeling a bit ripped off at this point.

I would like a response to this email that does not simply tell me that you are doing it because "everyone is doing it." As a good and loyal customer I would expect more than that from Holland America.

Sincerely,

Leigh R. ******

In response to a roll call I was requested to post also to one of these threads. In an effort to offer another perspective for longer cruises I offer the following. ..........

Sincerely,

Leigh R. ******

Here Here! I started reading the beginning of this thread.... Its just amazing how so many people are so happy, and so pleased, and think its so fair to be paying $18 corkage fee for bottles that they bought and brought on board when a week or so earlier it was free to do so.

I bet that these are the same people who love being taxed by the government and think it would be fair if we were taxed even more?

Lots of good points made in your post Leigh!

Here Here! I started reading the beginning of this thread.... Its just amazing how so many people are so happy, and so pleased, and think its so fair to be paying $18 corkage fee for bottles that they bought and brought on board when a week or so earlier it was free to do so.

I bet that these are the same people who love being taxed by the government and think it would be fair if we were taxed even more?

Count me in. I, for one, would just love to have the problem of paying a million dollars a year in taxes ! :D

Edited by taxmantoo

You also have to realize that this thread and the changes that HAL made at the end of January, follow a number of very long discussions that began way back in the summer of 2013.

HAL first initiated an immediate policy change, then back pedaled to have it start at the end of January 2014.

Eventually, they decided to allow people to bring on extra wine with the payment of a corkage fee.

For those who are more concerned about the quality of wine, this was a good compromise.

For those who haven't had a chance to read the initial reaction to the new policy, I'm sure you can find it if you do a 'search'.

It is apparent you don't understand. NO ONE here wants to pay the corkage. The only argument that implies it is "fair" is that the majority of other lines have a corkage. Every line owned by Carnival charges a corkage. We don't want the corkage, but we are happy we can bring wine onboard. Those of us who sail in Europe were going to be denied that!

It is apparent you don't understand. NO ONE here wants to pay the corkage. The only argument that implies it is "fair" is that the majority of other lines have a corkage. Every line owned by Carnival charges a corkage. We don't want the corkage, but we are happy we can bring wine onboard. Those of us who sail in Europe were going to be denied that!

Carnival Cruise Lines only charges a corkage fee on wine consumed in the dining room per two Maitre d's.

I still submit that paying a fee to take on my own personal property whether it be wine or whatever is simply screwing the passenger for their own losses due to overpricing. They are asking us to pay for their inability to set a reasonable price point based on demand.

This policy needs to go bye-bye or they will dream up another way to simply keep charging for services they don't render.

I don't mind paying for services rendered. I do mind paying for no service.

Maybe if we all called room service and had them come to the cabin, remove the cork, fetch the ice in the ice bucket, chill the wine and then come back in 10-15 minutes to pour it, the policy would change. But, at least we would get something for the $18 spent.

Somehow the argument that I get to spend $18 per bottle for wine I consume in my cabin and I should be happy I can do so misses the point.

Carnival Cruise Lines only charges a corkage fee on wine consumed in the dining room per two Maitre d's.

I still submit that paying a fee to take on my own personal property whether it be wine or whatever is simply screwing the passenger for their own losses due to overpricing. They are asking us to pay for their inability to set a reasonable price point based on demand.

This policy needs to go bye-bye or they will dream up another way to simply keep charging for services they don't render.

I don't mind paying for services rendered. I do mind paying for no service.

Maybe if we all called room service and had them come to the cabin, remove the cork, fetch the ice in the ice bucket, chill the wine and then come back in 10-15 minutes to pour it, the policy would change. But, at least we would get something for the $18 spent.

Somehow the argument that I get to spend $18 per bottle for wine I consume in my cabin and I should be happy I can do so misses the point.

I didn't know that Carnival didn't charge for bottles brought on board....now that opens up another can of worms. This issue started on these boards at the end of July. It was terrible, because we were so against this policy. I too think it is ridiculous to charge to bring wine to my cabin. But, I have no choice, so I am just adding that charge to the cost of my trip. In essence, HAL is tacking on a surcharge for winedrinkers. I would have been even more upset if I couldn't bring on wine from Europe. It's not like we didn't fight....we wrote to HAL and even had an online petition going. People also wrote on facebook. I hope the same hotel manager isn't on our upcoming cruise in July, because I badmouthed him here for his comments. At any rate, I won't go to the Q&A onboard if he is onboard!! I may be banned anyway!

I do agree with you. I believe that cruisers on the Grand Voyages and longer regular cruises are at a disadvantage. What is fare about bring 1 bottle on to consume on a 7day trip and only bring 1 on for a 67day trip. My cruising is longer trips. I always like to bring local wines on. I would think that maybe 1 bottle per 7days would be more equitable. You know bring on at embarkation or along the way. I know things are not going to change in the customers favor, just thought I add my 2 cents worth.

Edited by 2bout2c

Carnival's published policy conflicts with what "the two Maitre d's told you."

http://m.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Liquor_and_Beverage_Consumption_Policy.aspx

The written policy doesn't define what "excessive quantities" of wine or Champagne are though. What one person considers "excessive", another might consider "barely sufficient for a decent dinner party." I guess you're at the mercy of port side security.

There's always the high end cruise lines if you want to cart aboard wine to drink in your room.

Here's Cruise Critic's comprehensive guide to cruise line alcohol policies:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=46

Of the lines that are most directly competitive with HAL, Celebrity's corkage is more. Princess charges less.

The written policy doesn't define what "excessive quantities" of wine or Champagne are though. What one person considers "excessive", another might consider "barely sufficient for a decent dinner party." I guess you're at the mercy of port side security.

There's always the high end cruise lines if you want to cart aboard wine to drink in your room.

Of the lines that are most directly competitive with HAL, Celebrity's corkage is more. Princess charges less.

Everyone needs to check each line. Disney doesn't limit and doesn't charge for cabin consumption. Viking River Cruises doesn't limit and doesn't charge. Other lines say no alcohol of any type.

As I said before, my point is I don't like paying for a service that I don't get and I don't like being charged to move my personal property whether it be wine or something else from a dock to a room. If they get away with this over time, they will come up with other ways to just pick our wallets when they aren't realizing the profits they think they want.

The next one will probably be a fee for bringing our cameras on board because they don't make enough on photos. Or, how about charging a fee if you bring your own computer because you are using their electricity.

I started cruising 30 years ago when cruise lines actually appreciated the passenger and gave them a good value for their vacation dollar. In those days cruises were sold as an alternative and better bargain than land based vacations. Over the years they have nickle and dimed their clients until the cruise vacation is nothing like it was.

I love cruising for the sheer relaxation value, but it's getting to the point that there are so many add-ons and conditions and what you can't do that it has become immensely frustrating. It's no wonder the ships aren't sailing full any more. They put out more capacity and then jack up prices and invoke conditions that make the "relaxing vacation" a thing of the past.

This current new position of frankly the big three, NCL, RCCL and Carnival Corporation is one more "push the passenger away" and certainly doesn't lend itself to the guest being satisfied with their value for dollar. While the cruise fares have remained relatively stable, the add-ons just keep going up and multiplying.

Frankly, I can't wait to see what they come up with next.

That's the written policy but I can tell you that they ignore it for Diamond Level passengers.

That's the written policy but I can tell you that they ignore it for Diamond Level passengers.

I would hate to be subjected to the arbitrary and capricious enforcement of a cruise line's written policies. How the heck do you plan for a cruise vacation when the written policy says one thing, but the Maitre d has a different policy, the Diamond cruiser is subject to a different policy, and so on and so on?

I think it would be nice if Holland America let you bring on all the wine you wanted so that you could drink in your room. It sounds like you found a fair number of opportunities for unlimited en suite elbow bending.

I count myself among those people who are happy with any cruise line that lets me bring my own wine if I pay corkage. Some people are glass half full people. Some are glass half empty people. I'm more of a "make mine a double" kind of person.

We discussed this ad infinitum summer through the beginning of the new year...when wall of use thought we were totally out of luck other than the one bottle per person at embarkation.

I'm thankful I can buy wine in Spain and Portugal this fall and bring it on board. Nothing like European roses!

Nothing more for me to add...you and OVgirl have said it very well.

Edited by innlady1