New Pinnacle Menu - Pictures?

InTheWASide

I know there has been a lot of discussion about the new menu, but one thing I have yet to see are pictures of some of these new dishes.

Has anyone ordered the caviar or the crab legs for the extra cost? How much do you get and how is it presented?

What about the new variation of the Thai lemongrass soup with a tomato base?

The sides of veggies that are "for sharing" - Laffnvegas said she got about 5 baby carrots. Is that the norm or did they know how much Tom likes his steak and caesar so they didn't really bother :D

Speaking of caesar... whole leaves in a parmesan bowl? Do show please!

Anything that is new that anyone has taken a picture of, please share... I'm curious and I'm sure others are as well.

Thanks!

We sailed on the Dec. 22 Holiday cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam, the first week of the new menu. We've previously posted some photos on this board, but you can see them better on this blog post:

http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/2014/01/27/a-peek-at-holland-americas-new-pinnacle-grill-menu/

Including the new Caesar salad, the vegetables and the Seafood cippiono.

Thanks for posting your photos on your blog Travlinjones. We are on board the end of the month and I'll offer my own reviews and photos (5 evenings in the PG). From your photos, my quick responses: the filet looks burned (perhaps you ordered it well done), the caesar salad does not look appetizing at all, the bouillebase looks good, the sides leave a lot to be desired. I will go with an open mind, but an empty heart.....again, thanks for sharing!

We sailed on the Dec. 22 Holiday cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam, the first week of the new menu. We've previously posted some photos on this board, but you can see them better on this blog post:

http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/2014/01/27/a-peek-at-holland-americas-new-pinnacle-grill-menu/

Thank you!

Thanks for posting your photos on your blog Travlinjones. We are on board the end of the month and I'll offer my own reviews and photos (5 evenings in the PG). From your photos, my quick responses: the filet looks burned (perhaps you ordered it well done), the caesar salad does not look appetizing at all, the bouillebase looks good, the sides leave a lot to be desired. I will go with an open mind, but an empty heart.....again, thanks for sharing!

While the filet is brown on the outside, I assure you it was the juicy pink medium that I ordered on the inside. The Caesar salad was difficult to cut and disappointing but what I really missed was the arugula salad. I'm happy to report the crab cakes and the spicy chicken soup (now similar but with added tomato flavor) were just as delicious as ever.

And I loved the new veggie sides compared to the past.

Bottom line: the new menu was way above our expectations and it was the first week. Hope you have a great experience as well -- we will look forward to reading about it.

Thanks very much for sharing your pictures. I was most interested in seeing the Caesar salad. I've had salads like that before and I hate having to cut up the lettuce and mix it all around to get it to resemble a tossed salad! Sure, it looks interesting, but really... :(

Thank you for the pictures.

Thanks very much for sharing your pictures. I was most interested in seeing the Caesar salad. I've had salads like that before and I hate having to cut up the lettuce and mix it all around to get it to resemble a tossed salad! Sure, it looks interesting, but really... :(

I agree re. the Caesar salad - it looks like they cut off the rounded end of the lettuce leaves & served the "rib" with the tough part of the leaf attached. No wonder it was difficult to cut up.

I think HAL is just trying to get a little trendy with their menu, especially the Caesar, instead of the same old presentation. It's served this way now in a lot of restaurants. It looks like it might need a little more dressing on the side, but cutting it up doesn't seem like such a big deal. You have to cut up a wedge of iceberg lettuce salad and mix with dressing which is popular on a lot of menus.

From the picture it looks like I won't be ordering the caesar any time soon. Who comes up with these ideas ? No Thai Chicken Soup, No Ocean platter, No lobster, No Steak Diane, No Surf & Turf. and a Caesar that looks thrown together. The PG has really gone down hill.

Turning into a five star mariner next cruise the two free PG dinners don't look like such a great deal.

Trying Celebrity again in May so we will see what the difference in specialty restaurants looks like.

We will never know until we try the new menu. Many CC folks have already convinced themselves it will be bad. With that attitude it will.

Life goes on, things change, some good, some not, but at least someone is trying to improve our cruising experience. If it doesn't work there will be more changes.

Wish we were on a Dam cruise and dining in a specialty restaurant.

We will never know until we try the new menu. Many CC folks have already convinced themselves it will be bad. With that attitude it will.

Life goes on, things change, some good, some not, but at least someone is trying to improve our cruising experience. If it doesn't work there will be more changes.

Wish we were on a Dam cruise and dining in a specialty restaurant.

You have an attitude to be admired! Let's face it, the older people get the less willing they are to accept change, any kind of change. Even something as inconsequential as a salad because the same ingredients are served in a new way. Good grief. I imagine new and younger cruisers will find it fine. Poor HAL. Dammed if they do, dammed if they don't. Maybe the stewards will cut up the romaine if asked.

Excellent. Thank you for sharing. :)

I happened to be watching Anne Burrell on Food Network make a Caesar salad a few minutes ago. She did a semi-version of the new HAL Caesar presentation. She used the whole romaine hearts but tossed them first with her dressing in a large bowl, then put 4 or 5 whole leaves on her salad plate and topped with croutons and parm. Yes, of course she picked up her fork and knife as she still had to cut the romaine into bite-size pieces, but the salad was dressed before going on the plate and didn't have to be tossed by the diner. She even said she could have cut up the romaine before tossing with dressing, but loves it served with the whole romaine hearts because it is such a pretty presentation. Would that work? Cutting, but already dressed.

Salad or not...who cares. May this crazy weather let up and let us get on our flight on Saturday and make it to the beautiful Nieuw Amsterdam for Sunday sail away. You will hear no complaints from this girl! Safe travels everyone. I hope to see everyone who planned to be this 'dam ship safe and happily sipping a wang wang on Sunday.

I happened to be watching Anne Burrell on Food Network make a Caesar salad a few minutes ago. She did a semi-version of the new HAL Caesar presentation. She used the whole romaine hearts but tossed them first with her dressing in a large bowl' date=' then put 4 or 5 whole leaves on her salad plate and topped with croutons and parm. Yes, of course she picked up her fork and knife as she still had to cut the romaine into bite-size pieces, but the salad was dressed before going on the plate and didn't have to be tossed by the diner. She even said she could have cut up the romaine before tossing with dressing, but loves it served with the whole romaine hearts because it is such a pretty presentation. Would that work? Cutting, but already dressed.[/quote']

That would be much better, or at the very least have the dressing in like a little squeeze bottle and have it placed on the plate/lettuce in a much nicer way. Not just a couple globs flopped down on the plate and leaves of lettuce. I don't mind whole leaves and cutting them but either dressed beforehand or more of a "pattern" over the lettuce would be much better.

I had the Steak Tar Tar (spelling?) and it was awesome! Ordered the lamb for main entree, which was cooked perfectly. Brussell sprouts were plentiful. Have a picture of the Steak tar tar but don't know how to post it. We had no complaints about the dinner at all.

Diane