Which 1st Cruise: Magic, Triumph, Navigator of the Seas?

bakingem

I'm cross-posting this in CCL forum & the first-time cruisers board.

My husband and I are planning on taking out first cruise in August when we have a gap before starting a new jobs. We have twins that will be 17 months old and we are leaving them with grandparents for our first big baby-free vacation. We want to cruise from Galveston as we live in Texas. We would like to keep costs as low as possible because twins literally eat and poo a lot of our cash away. Our main goals are just to have a relaxing, stress-free time. We're up for drinking, meeting people, and having a good time, but not exactly in our beer-pong days anymore (32 & 29 when we would sail). We're up for whatever, so we'll probably want to try a lot of whatever is on board, both food and entertainment. As for excursions, we're more the snorkeling, adventure, stroll through a new place type, than a visit Mayan ruins crowd (scarred from a terrible tour from our honeymoon). That said, here are our options. I'd love feedback on what sounds like a good match from those who have cruised before, if Carnival or RCI has a lot of hidden fees to add to the advertised cost, what ports would be better, etc. Thank you from a very tired set of parents who desperately need a vacation!

Carnival Triumph - 5 nights, leaves Aug. 11. Ports: Progreso & Cozumel. Price on Travelocity for comparison purposes: $529

Carnival Magic - 7 nights, leaves Aug. 10. Ports: Montego Bay, Jamaica; Georgetown, Grand Cayment; Cozumel. $829.

RCI Navigator of the Seas - 7 nights, leaves Aug. 10. Ports: Coxen Hole, Roatan; Belize City, Belize; Cosumel, Mexico. $673

Any opinions on what might be best?

I've done all 3 itineraries and the one that goes to Roatan is my favorite. The snorkeling in Roatan & Belize is some of the best! We went on the Carnival Magic in September and were disappointed. We went on the Voyager of the Seas which is very similar to the Navigator a couple years ago and it is one of our favorites ships & cruises. Since it's cheaper than the Carnival Magic & just a little more than the Triumph I would definetly chose the Navigator. In fact we're chosing it for our next cruise over the Carnival. It just came out of dry dock too and has been completely renovated.

I feel the ports on the Magic cruise are a little better than the other two, so if the Ports will be your major selling point then you might need to consider taking that crusie. I can't comment on the actual ship because I haven't been on it and don't know anything about the quality of that ship.

I've been on Triumph and it's a nice ship but for just a few dollars more in total you can get two extra nights by doing, IMHO a much niver ship in Navigator. And, actually when you do the math, Navigator works out to less cost per day.

Since I really enjoy RCCL cruises more than CCL, and because Navigator just got a pretty major upgrade, I would personally chose Navigator.

I'm pretty confident that no matter which one you choose, you will be hooked on cruising and there is nothing wrong with trying a few different lines/ship sizes to see what suits you best.

I have done 4 different lines and now always look to RCCL first. However, I will do one of the others if the price is an absolute steal and it's just my wife and I (we just enjoy our time alone together and can settle for less than our favorite if that means we can save money to put towards other cruises).

I would rule out the Triumph right away because it's a shorter cruise and a far inferior ship to the other two (and is also older).

Between Magic and Navigator I would definitely choose Navigator. I like the Magic itinerary slightly better, but it's more expensive and Navigator just has more to offer than the Carnival Magic. I was on Magic's sister ship, the Breeze, last year and really wasn't impressed with Carnival's newest class of ship. On the other hand, Navigator is newly refurbished with some exciting new features, and the pool area on the Navigator is far superior to that of the Carnival Magic, which is a tiny box, with insufficient pool space for the number of passengers.

Just my $.02 as someone who has sailed Carnival and RCI a bunch. Whatever you chose, hope you enjoy your well-deserved trip!

I would eliminate Triumph simply because it's a shorter itinerary and the ports are kinda blah (except we've had some pretty good shopping and drinking times in Coz). The ports for Magic and Navigator are a coin toss for me, no clear favorite in terms of things you might like to do in those places. As to the ships, as others mention, Navigator has undergone recent refurb adding a lot of the things you find on the Oasis class; Magic does not yet have the Funship 2.0 upgrades (complimentary specialty eating spots, etc.) so Navigator may win out as far as ship amenities. Navigator (which I've not been on) is less expensive and it looks like you've priced inside cabins. I'm pretty sure that inside cabins on Navigator are about 40 square feet or so smaller than Magic. If that makes a real difference to you (having the little extra space), spend the extra and go with Magic; if not, go with Navigator.

For inside cabins on Navigator, look at any cabin on any deck that is near the aft elevators. After the refurb most of the insides are still on decks 6-10 and all are essentially the same layout. The category differences are related to location and how many people they sleep. Each cabin has a bed, love seat, desk, closet and bathroom. They are essentially the same inside as the category E balcony cabins. My favorite location is deck 7 near the library.

Since this will be your first cruise I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. There is nothing really to compare to so you will enjoy any of them. IMO

With that being said.... if I were going for only the ports, I like the magic. If I were going for the ship, I would go on the navigator. If I were really trying to save money I would go on the Triumph.

The best value is the Navigator IMO, I would easily pay $150 more for 2 more days on it than the triumph.

As far as upcharges.... you can easily control that. You will pay for your drinks on either one. Just plan ahead a little and decide if you want to eat at any of the upcharge places or not, but I think there are more places that charge to eat on the Navigator....however there are still plenty of 'free' places.

Navigator gets my vote! I sailed on various Carnival ships in my early twenties and while they are great ships, the feel is quite a bit different than a RCCL ship. I think you will feel the most relaxed and pampered on the Navigator. Have a great trip!

I have been on Carnival 5 times, and I'm Diamond on Royal Caribbean. Given your choices, I would choose the Navigator without a moment's hesitation. Although there were many positive things on my Carnival cruises, I find the ships to be much more crowded, and we struggle with the scaled down entertainment and activities.

The Navigator is newly refurbished, and the Roatan/Belize itinerary is superb for snorkeling.

I'm cross-posting this in CCL forum & the first-time cruisers board.

My husband and I are planning on taking out first cruise in August when we have a gap before starting a new jobs. We have twins that will be 17 months old and we are leaving them with grandparents for our first big baby-free vacation. We want to cruise from Galveston as we live in Texas. We would like to keep costs as low as possible because twins literally eat and poo a lot of our cash away. Our main goals are just to have a relaxing, stress-free time. We're up for drinking, meeting people, and having a good time, but not exactly in our beer-pong days anymore (32 & 29 when we would sail). We're up for whatever, so we'll probably want to try a lot of whatever is on board, both food and entertainment. As for excursions, we're more the snorkeling, adventure, stroll through a new place type, than a visit Mayan ruins crowd (scarred from a terrible tour from our honeymoon). That said, here are our options. I'd love feedback on what sounds like a good match from those who have cruised before, if Carnival or RCI has a lot of hidden fees to add to the advertised cost, what ports would be better, etc. Thank you from a very tired set of parents who desperately need a vacation!

Carnival Triumph - 5 nights, leaves Aug. 11. Ports: Progreso & Cozumel. Price on Travelocity for comparison purposes: $529

Carnival Magic - 7 nights, leaves Aug. 10. Ports: Montego Bay, Jamaica; Georgetown, Grand Cayment; Cozumel. $829.

RCI Navigator of the Seas - 7 nights, leaves Aug. 10. Ports: Coxen Hole, Roatan; Belize City, Belize; Cosumel, Mexico. $673

Any opinions on what might be best?

I was having a hard time deciding between these same cruises. I booked our first cruise last week for Nov. 30th, 2014, on Navigator of the seas.

I ended up choosing the Navigator because it just finished with a dry dock. RCI also gives a police and fireman discount. That also swayed my decision as the discount was pretty good for a superior balcony cabin. I just couldn't pass it up.:) Whatever your choice is, have a fun and safe cruise.

I would choose 7 days if you can to rest and relax as much as possible. 5 days will go very fast. Next I would choose Navigater if you like to snorkel. Rotan and Belieze are the best for snorkeling in the Caribbean. Jamaica excursions mean long trips by van to get anywhere, are expensive and we are not brave enough to venture out on our own there any more. Grand Caymen can be inexpensive and seven mile beach is lovely. You can snorkel there from Eden rock for cheap. Cozumel has tons of choices to do.

If you go on Carnival for your first cruise you will have a great time because it the first one and have nothing to compare. Entertainment on RCI is so much better but if you are not a show person you will not care much about that. The buffet lines on Carnival drive me nuts. No real lines on RCI. The carnival ships drive me crazy too, gaudy and you have to go up and go down to get anywhere. RCI ships are much easier to get around.

As a disclaimer we have done 20 cruises with RCI and only 3 with Carnival. We will only use them again if there is no other ship out of Galveston and New Orleans that fits our schedule and we are desperate for a cruise.

The Navigator wins hands down. I have been on 14 Royal Caribbean cruises and 3 Carnival cruises and some others as well. I would only go on Carnival if I was desperate or it was free.

Edited by Marie51

Navigator looks to be the best deal price-wise. It's also probably the nicest ship, and with a good itinerary. Navigator also has a recent upgrade. I think it even got a Flowrider, making it almost a Freedom-class ship, with some Quantum-class features.

Our first cruise ever was on Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas doing the itinerary that you are looking at. We loved it. The ship is not overwhelming but still offers everything. Royal Caribbean was a great experience and would recommend it highly.

I have a lot of work friends who went on Carnival and most are not real positive about their cruises.

Navigator. It has an ice skating rink and the ice shows are wonderful. It has the promenade, nice cafe open all the time with pizza and snacks. It will have parades and it will have the game Quest. It may have a flow rider? You can surf for free if so. The ports are really good ones as well. Cabins will be smaller on RC than Carnival. For your first cruise, get an inside. You will be out and about most of the time

Not to say that the ship is the destination, but the Navigator is a great destination all by itself.

Like the previous poster, I have about 6 cruises on Carnival and over 20 on Royal.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I'd go with Navigator, too (and I'm headed out on the Magic in less than two weeks!). We sail Carnival when it is cheaper than Royal (which is the case for our upcoming cruise), and when we need a shorter cruise out of Galveston. If you can do 7 days, I would definitely go with Navigator.

The Navigator wins hands down. I have been on 14 Royal Caribbean cruises and 3 Carnival cruises and some others as well. I would only go on Carnival if I was desperate or it was free.

Would you sail Triumph for free? Doubt I would given chronic issues with that ship like the small fire the other day when the CD just called a frizzle wire. Most ships yes I'd go if free but not that one and likely not any Costa ship.

To OP I'd go Navigator as it is freshest ship you are considering.

Looks like Navigator gets the overwhelming majority of support here on the RCCL board. Just curious if your twin post on the Carnival Boards is giving all of the support to Magic/Triumph or if you are getting some Navigator votes there too.