Bar Hop stops reviews

Sir_Randy

The Cozumel Bar Hop is a five hour excursion that visits what is affectionately referred to as the "Wild Side" of the island. The East Coast of Cozumel is 100% owned by the Mexican government and is completely undeveloped aside from six or seven little beach bars and a small 14-room hotel that was built during the 1970's for a visit by Fidel Castro. There is no electricity aside from solar panels and wind generators at the bars, and the beaches are largely undisturbed by development.

While the bar hop is a fun way to get at least a little tipsy while visiting four beach bars that could easily be called Cozumel's best kept secrets, the real benefit of the tour is the sheer beauty of the untouched beaches and cliffs where these bars reside.

Each of the stops is known for something different. Punta Morena has a pool and a beautiful beach, complete with soccer goals and volleyball courts. Coconuts is a raunchy bar that sits atop the highest cliffs on the island, some 40 feet above the Atlantic Ocean. Be sure to try their famous fresh chips and salsa, known to be the hottest on the island, and browse through the bar's "family photo albums". Playa Bonita also sits atop cliffs, with a staircase down to a beautiful white sand beach that seems to stretch on forever down the winding coast and is famous for their sombrero sized margaritas. Rasta's is a good place to relax on the beach in one of their many hammocks or try the coconut shrimp for which they are famous.

This was my second time on the Cozumel Bar Hop, and I can honestly say that none of the big tourist beaches on the other side of the island come close to comparing to what some of the stops on this tour have to offer. Even if you don't drink, it is still fun to go and relax and enjoy the beautiful views from some of the best untouched beaches in the Yucatan.

We've decided to rent a convertible VW and make our own bar hop. $35/day including ins.

Which bar has the best beer prices?

Less crowds?

Longest stretch of beach for walking? Could you park @ one and walk to the others then make your way back?

Thanks.

We've decided to rent a convertible VW and make our own bar hop. $35/day including ins.

Less crowds?

Longest stretch of beach for walking? Could you park @ one and walk to the others then make your way back?

Thanks.

We may have to do the same thing. We just heard from the tour company that we're the only ones signed up and they need a minimum of 8. :-( I'm hoping more people will join us!!!

We may have to do the same thing. We just heard from the tour company that we're the only ones signed up and they need a minimum of 8. :-( I'm hoping more people will join us!!!

When in January? We are scheduled for the 22nd in January and have not heard anything one way or another from then since they took our deposit.

When in January? We are scheduled for the 22nd in January and have not heard anything one way or another from then since they took our deposit.

We'll be there January 3. I think they normally contact you a week before your trip. But since no one else had signed up, I guess they wanted to give us time to make other plans. I appreciated that. At least I have time now to come up with a Plan B.

Thanks for the pictures! We are doing this tour in January.

What shots did they gave you at each location?

To be honest, I don't remember the names of all of them.

Punta Morena's shot tastes like tropical juice with just a hint of licorice.

Coconut's gives you Tequila Fizz, which is tequila, sprite, and grenadine that is pounded on the counter to make it fizz right before you shoot it.

I don't recall what the shot was at Playa Bonita.

Rasta's had a shot called the Iguana, which is made with Midori and has a green color.

None are straight shots of liquor, more like sample size shots of the house specialty drink. While they all tasted good, the "shots" alone are not going to get you drunk on the bar hop.

Who do you typically book this tour through? Can you tell me a bit more about what is included, the cost, etc?

Thanks.

You can only book the bar hop on their website, http://www.cozumelbarhop.com.

The cost is $57, paid as a $27 deposit online and then $30 in cash when you get on the bus. It is a 5 hour tour that takes you on a 40 mile ride around the island with four stops at beach bars on the "Wild Side" of the island. When you arrive at each bar, you are given a welcome shot (4 drinks in total) and then are allowed to explore the beach, hang out at the bar or order some food. Each stop lasts an hour, and with the exception of the initial 10 mile, 25 minute ride from Punta Langosta to the first bar, none of the bars are more than 6 or 7 minutes apart. Also included in your $57 tour is a free Cozumel Bar Hop t-shirt. Repeat hoppers (called FoHos) also get a free koozie.

At the end of your tour, they make stops to drop off passengers at each of the three cruise piers in Cozumel so that you do not have to take a taxi back to your ship.

Less crowds?

Thanks.

I have heard that this is a popular option, but you lose out on the companionship of your fellow hoppers, along with the entertainment that your guide provides and the free welcome shot at each stop.

We never ordered beer, but as I recall all of the bars charged in the neighborhood of $2 to $3 for a Mexican brand or $3 to $4 for an "Import" (think Bud Light). Specialty/frozen/mixed drinks were $7 to $10 depending on the location and the exchange rate offered. Punta Morena gives you a straight 10 to 1 exchange rate, while some of the other bars gave us closer to the actual exchange rate of about 13 to 1.

At Playa Bonita, be sure to order the giant shareable margarita, which is large enough for 2 to 3 people for about $17.

None of the bars on the East side of the island are "crowded", although Rastas and Punta Morena always seem slower than Coconuts and Punta Morena. Each has there own "character" and I would highly recommend visiting all of them. I would have to say that my personal favorite is Coconuts, and my least favorite is Rastas, although they are all a lot of fun.

The bars are spread out along about 15 miles of coast line, so they are much too far apart to walk between. Punta Morena and Playa Bonita have the longest beaches, and Coconuts really has no beach at all as it is perched up on a 40 foot cliff.

I have heard that this is a popular option, but you lose out on the companionship of your fellow hoppers, along with the entertainment that your guide provides and the free welcome shot at each stop.

We never ordered beer, but as I recall all of the bars charged in the neighborhood of $2 to $3 for a Mexican brand or $3 to $4 for an "Import" (think Bud Light). Specialty/frozen/mixed drinks were $7 to $10 depending on the location and the exchange rate offered. Punta Morena gives you a straight 10 to 1 exchange rate, while some of the other bars gave us closer to the actual exchange rate of about 13 to 1.

At Playa Bonita, be sure to order the giant shareable margarita, which is large enough for 2 to 3 people for about $17.

None of the bars on the East side of the island are "crowded", although Rastas and Punta Morena always seem slower than Coconuts and Punta Morena. Each has there own "character" and I would highly recommend visiting all of them. I would have to say that my personal favorite is Coconuts, and my least favorite is Rastas, although they are all a lot of fun.

The bars are spread out along about 15 miles of coast line, so they are much too far apart to walk between. Punta Morena and Playa Bonita have the longest beaches, and Coconuts really has no beach at all as it is perched up on a 40 foot cliff.

Thanks for the excellent pictures of your bar hop. We did the Bar Hop earlier this year, so those pictures made us feel like we were back there once again. Next time we are in Cozumel, the Bar Hop will be our only choice. Agreed that a person can rent a car/taxi & do the same thing but when you have a bunch of other fun people with you, it is more fun & will become friends during the Hop.

Edited by islandatsea

To be honest, I don't remember the names of all of them.

Punta Morena's shot tastes like tropical juice with just a hint of licorice.

Coconut's gives you Tequila Fizz, which is tequila, sprite, and grenadine that is pounded on the counter to make it fizz right before you shoot it.

I don't recall what the shot was at Playa Bonita.

Rasta's had a shot called the Iguana, which is made with Midori and has a green color.

None are straight shots of liquor, more like sample size shots of the house specialty drink. While they all tasted good, the "shots" alone are not going to get you drunk on the bar hop.

Thanks! We're still hoping more people will sign up for our tour so it doesn't get cancelled. Anyone else going to be in Cozumel January 3????