Bar Hop stops reviews

Sir_Randy

Still my favorite of all things to do in Cozumel. One of these days I'll remember to pace myself (nah..).

A couple things reading through this thread that I haven't seen mentioned:

1. You can get a "to go" cup at any of the bars to take with you on the bus to the next stop. Don't feel you have to chug a drink down and then buy a new drink at the next bar (unless you want to..lol). I think that was my only saving grace on the last hop to somewhat "pacing".

2. It is rare that they don't get enough signed up. One of of our hops there still weren't enough on the day we left to fly in to our embarkation port, one night pre-cruise. (This was in 2012). By the time we got to Cozumel, he had enough signed up. I think from people who were staying on the island (or mainland who took the ferry over for the day). I guess it's possible they don't get enough, but I do think it is more rare especially as they have gained in popularity. It does not hurt though to check which ships are in port that day and go to their roll call to recruit :)

3. The last time we went, there were 6 or 7 ships in port, one of them (ours) was Allure of the Seas, which I consider the load of 2 ships. We did have a full hop requiring the larger "bus" vs. the "shuttle" that we had the year prior. Both were great experiences and there was still zero crowding on that side of the island. I do get afraid that it will become more mainstream as people learn of it and then crowd it. Go now before it becomes like the west side with thousands of people!

I'm still trying to get my fiancé to agree to go back in February, but he really wants to swim the dolphins again. Since we found this excursion, Cozumel has moved from one of my least favorite ports to my favorite. I guess we'll have to book another Western soon if we don't go there this on this upcoming cruise!

2. It is rare that they don't get enough signed up. One of of our hops there still weren't enough on the day we left to fly in to our embarkation port, one night pre-cruise. (This was in 2012). By the time we got to Cozumel, he had enough signed up. I think from people who were staying on the island (or mainland who took the ferry over for the day). I guess it's possible they don't get enough, but I do think it is more rare especially as they have gained in popularity. It does not hurt though to check which ships are in port that day and go to their roll call to recruit :)

I guess we're just unlucky then. I've tried the roll call on both ships in port that day and we're still the only ones signed up. :(

Edited by CruisinCrow

I guess we're just unlucky then. I've tried the roll call on both ships in port that day and we're still the only ones signed up. :(

Only 2 ships in port? I guess I've always ported with 4-8 ships. lol.

I wouldn't lose all hope...he often gets last minute hoppers from the resorts/land vacationers. The first time we went there were around 8 of us on a small shuttle, it was great. It really only takes one or two groups to decide to go and then you have your minimum!

Good Luck! I think this is something everyone should experience if they have the chance.

Only 2 ships in port? I guess I've always ported with 4-8 ships. lol.

I wouldn't lose all hope...he often gets last minute hoppers from the resorts/land vacationers. The first time we went there were around 8 of us on a small shuttle, it was great. It really only takes one or two groups to decide to go and then you have your minimum!

Good Luck! I think this is something everyone should experience if they have the chance.

There are actually 4 ships in port that day but 2 of them don't show up until after noon. So they wouldn't be able to take the tour anyway, at least not at the same time we could.

Does anyone know if there are age restrictions or an age limit? I looked on their website but I do not see anything about age. My DH and I are signed up for our January cruise, and now my sister and her husband and my 18 year old niece want to go to. Can she go at 18?

The same thing happened to me last year, and our hop was cancelled. We wound up going to the taxi stand and hiring a taxi to take us around. We had a great time and were in control of our time at each stop. I wouldn't hesitate to use a taxi again after our wonderful experience.

I've been on it twice and never with less than two dozen folks. Surprised to see that it is ever canceled.

I usually set it up as an event in a roll call to let people know about it. Always get lots of interest that way.

I've been on it twice and never with less than two dozen folks. Surprised to see that it is ever canceled.

I usually set it up as an event in a roll call to let people know about it. Always get lots of interest that way.

I know, everyone keeps saying how popular it is and how it always gets sold out. I tried our roll call and also Carnival Elation's roll call (since they are in port at the same time we are). I even joined Elation's Facebook group but no one is interested. :-( I'm very bummed.

Indy71, do you remember how much you paid for a taxi driver? We're probably going to rent a car and do our own bar hop with maybe a stop at Punta Sur to see the lighthouse. It would be nice not to have to worry about the driving.

Does anyone know if there are age restrictions or an age limit? I looked on their website but I do not see anything about age. My DH and I are signed up for our January cruise, and now my sister and her husband and my 18 year old niece want to go to. Can she go at 18?

The drinking age in Mexico is 18 so I would guess 18 would be the age limit. You could try contacting the company. They've been very responsive to my emails.

Indy71, do you remember how much you paid for a taxi driver? We're probably going to rent a car and do our own bar hop with maybe a stop at Punta Sur to see the lighthouse. It would be nice not to have to worry about the driving.

It was $80 for 4 hours for 2 people, plus tip. (We signed up for 3 hours for $60, but went over.) We made several stops on the east side and had lunch at Chen Rio. The lunch was pricey, but good. We also went to Punta Sur to see the lighthouse. There was an entrance fee at Punta Sur of $14 each, which seemed a little high at the time, but we were glad we went. There are several things to do there that we skipped because of time constraints. We may go back there on our 2015 cruise, we liked it that much.

Edited by indy71

It was $80 for 4 hours for 2 people, plus tip. (We signed up for 3 hours for $60, but went over.) We made several stops on the east side and had lunch at Chen Rio. The lunch was pricey, but good. We also went to Punta Sur to see the lighthouse. There was an entrance fee at Punta Sur of $14 each, which seemed a little high at the time, but we were glad we went. There are several things to do there that we skipped because of time constraints. We may go back there on our 2015 cruise, we liked it that much.

Thanks!!

Does anybody have any pictures of the menus from the different bars? Or can tell me the price of an average drink/snack? I'm trying to figure out how much money to bring along. We HOP on the 22nd. :)

Edited by Fritz

Does anybody have any pictures of the menus from the different bars? Or can tell me the price of an average drink/snack? I'm trying to figure out how much money to bring along. We HOP on the 22nd. :)

Unfortunately I never thought to take pics of the menus. I recall the prices being very reasonable. Around $3-$5 for a beer, maybe $7-$10 for mixed drinks. Food prices were reasonable. We had food at two stops. I'd estimate our tab at the non food stops to be in the $20 range and the food stops to be $30-$35.

A free T-shirt is included in the price of the hop, but at the end they have other items you can buy. More T-shirts in different colors for $15 and smaller items like coozies.

indy71 -

Where did you sign up for your cab? Did you have to leave a deposit? Was it refundable if you missed the port? Any info would be appreciated. We will be in Cozumel in March

indy71 -

Where did you sign up for your cab? Did you have to leave a deposit? Was it refundable if you missed the port? Any info would be appreciated. We will be in Cozumel in March

We just went to the cab stand right outside the secured area. I didn't set it up in advance. I spoke to the dispatcher with details of where we wanted to go. There was no deposit required. The day greatly exceed my expectations!

We just went to the cab stand right outside the secured area. I didn't set it up in advance. I spoke to the dispatcher with details of where we wanted to go. There was no deposit required. The day greatly exceed my expectations!

This is what we did. Very easy, and we had a great day on the East side. In 2010, we were charged $40 per person, for 4 hours (I believe).

Sent from my phone. Typos are inevitable.

I just received this from the Bar Hop:

Unfortunately, we were informed this morning that our transportation has been cancelled for your tour due to mechanical failure (air conditioning). We don’t understand why it would take so long to repair, but we've been told that the bus is out of service for the next 3 weeks.

We feel quite badly that your plans for Cozumel have been altered, and we would like to offer you both a free Bar Hop tour on your next visit to the island.

Your deposit has been refunded, please accept our apologies…

They did refund my deposit right away. But it's time to search for something else to do. :(

I just received this from the Bar Hop:

Unfortunately, we were informed this morning that our transportation has been cancelled for your tour due to mechanical failure (air conditioning). We don’t understand why it would take so long to repair, but we've been told that the bus is out of service for the next 3 weeks.

We feel quite badly that your plans for Cozumel have been altered, and we would like to offer you both a free Bar Hop tour on your next visit to the island.

Your deposit has been refunded, please accept our apologies…

They did refund my deposit right away. But it's time to search for something else to do. :(

Major bummer :( You can always hire a taxi for the day. Ask the driver to take you to the East Side and stop at all the Hop stops. You'll be able to stay longer than the allotted 1 hour or so. Have a great time!

Major bummer :( You can always hire a taxi for the day. Ask the driver to take you to the East Side and stop at all the Hop stops. You'll be able to stay longer than the allotted 1 hour or so. Have a great time!

I second that idea. See if you can gather any other cancelled people from your roll call and arrange your own group taxi van. It won't be the same since you won't get the commentary but you could get to see the same places and share the cost.

Edited by c-leg5

What a bummer! Ours got cancelled too but it was because not enough people signed up (I think we were the only ones). We didn't get a free bar hop though, but we did get our refund.

What we ended up doing is renting a car and driving around ourselves. We had a nice day. We stopped at Punta Sur and climbed the lighthouse, then went to Rasta's, Coconuts and Punta Moreno. Coconuts was our favorite.

My sister and I are doing a private jeep tour when we go to Cozumel in April on our next cruise. The private jeep tour is only $12 more than the bar hop price and includes entrance fee for Punta Sur, beer, soda, bottled water and lunch. We can pick where we want to go on the other side of the island and anywhere else on the island we want to go. The tour is 5-5 1/2 hours long. You can check it out at "cozumel cruise excursions dot net"