Do you think these handles will fit on a soda cup?

PattyW

handle_zps241342db.jpg

I'm brainstorming ways to not only keep track of 5 soda cups, but differentiate them as well. I'm thinking I could hook a few onto the handle of my pool bag via caribiner if I added handles. Do you think these would work? As a bonus they come in a variety of colors so we'll know whose is whose.

Tying five cups together in any fashion, will be very bulky. And – that will only work if they are empty as liquid will spill out if they are slanted and shifting around.

How about writing the individual’s name on the cup and then perhaps every can keep track of their own cup. Or, not knowing the color or pattern of the current cups, bring some sort of adhesive labels and differ color pens to write names.

good luck

m

It doesn't say, but I have a 24oz Tervis tumbler (which it's designed to fit) and based upon the measurements of the cup, I think the top ring is 12 inches and the bottom ring is 10 inches

I just measured my freestyle cup. The upper circumference is 12 inches. The cup tapers down, like an old fashioned coke glass, with the lower area about 8 1/2 inches.

Thanks everyone! I know it's not ideal to be like a virtual pack mule carrying the kids' cups to and from the cabin, but I would be so irritated if they went missing. Since the package will be paid in full at the beginning; it's not like if they lose it, it just punishes them - it's a waste of my money, too. They want it for the flavored water and some of the more exotic things from the freestyle machines. They wouldn't drink enough Sprite or Coke to make the package worth it.

I'm glad to hear these Tervis handles will work. I looked all over the internet for something velcro or otherwise customizable and couldn't find anything.

Edited by PattyW

Thanks everyone! I know it's not ideal to be like a virtual pack mule carrying the kids' cups to and from the cabin, but I would be so irritated if they went missing. Since the package will be paid in full at the beginning; it's not like if they lose it, it just punishes them - it's a waste of my money, too. They want it for the flavored water and some of the more exotic things from the freestyle machines. They wouldn't drink enough Sprite or Coke to make the package worth it.

I'm glad to hear these Tervis handles will work. I looked all over the internet for something velcro or otherwise customizable and couldn't find anything.

One thing your kids need to understand about the freestyle machines is, the machine reads a micro-chip in the bottom of the tumbler to determine who's it is. It will only let them use the machine once every 15 minutes (to discourage pouring into another container/sharing) so if they choose a drink, then decide they don't like it, they can't refill for another 15 minutes.

One thing your kids need to understand about the freestyle machines is, the machine reads a micro-chip in the bottom of the tumbler to determine who's it is. It will only let them use the machine once every 15 minutes (to discourage pouring into another container/sharing) so if they choose a drink, then decide they don't like it, they can't refill for another 15 minutes.
To alleviate this problem, all the kids need to do is fill the cup with a mouth full of something and then quickly sample it. If they like it, they fill their cup, if they don't as long as they have a backup flavor in mind they can fill it right away. The only problem would be if they drag their feet deciding on that second backup flavor and the fill up time expires. If this happens, it's another lesson learned. ;)

To alleviate this problem, all the kids need to do is fill the cup with a mouth full of something and then quickly sample it. If they like it, they fill their cup, if they don't as long as they have a backup flavor in mind they can fill it right away. The only problem would be if they drag their feet deciding on that second backup flavor and the fill up time expires. If this happens, it's another lesson learned. ;)

There is a chip in the bottom of the cup, once you remove the cup, you have to wait 15 minutes to refill it, so that will not work. We had a family in front of us the first day that had bought one package and wanted to sample to decide if it was worth buying cups for everyone. The Dad tried one flavor and tried to get another and it said he had to wait. He took a fit because he got a "defective" cup and was going to get a new one. When we explained the timer, he said that wasn't going to work, and he was going to go get his money back.:cool::rolleyes:

I'm thinking I could hook a few onto the handle of my pool bag via caribiner if I added handles.

You could. Or, you could actually let (I assume) your children demonstrate at least a modicum of responsibility. If they're old enough to have unlimited soda, they're probably old enough to be expected to keep track of their own cups. If they lose it, their loss. If they don't think they can handle keeping track of it on the pool deck, they can leave it in the room.

This is kind of representative of the continuous infantilization of children by parents in our socitety. Heaven forbid a child be held accountable for anything.:rolleyes:

You could. Or, you could actually let (I assume) your children demonstrate at least a modicum of responsibility. If they're old enough to have unlimited soda, they're probably old enough to be expected to keep track of their own cups. If they lose it, their loss. If they don't think they can handle keeping track of it on the pool deck, they can leave it in the room.

This is kind of representative of the continuous infantilization of children by parents in our socitety. Heaven forbid a child be held accountable for anything.:rolleyes:

Whoa.. I thought this was CRUISE critic... When did I switch to parenting critic?!

Seriously.

Apparently I infantalize myself every time I ask my husband to hold my sea pass and camera in the evenings when I don't have pockets. And he infantalizes himself on a regular basis at home or in port when I throw one or two of his things into my purse.

I thought families did things like this for each other because it is kind and more convenient, but boy was I wrong! It's the continuous infantilization of society! I learn something new every day on these boards.

Seriously.

Apparently I infantalize myself every time I ask my husband to hold my sea pass and camera in the evenings when I don't have pockets. And he infantalizes himself on a regular basis at home or in port when I throw one or two of his things into my purse.

I thought families did things like this for each other because it is kind and more convenient, but boy was I wrong! It's the continuous infantilization of society! I learn something new every day on these boards.

No, that seems reasonable and courteous. A parent trying to figure out how to wrangle FIVE soda cups seems distinctly different.

Come on mg, what is wrong with a parent trying to keep track of their kid's cups?

Maybe nothing. Perhaps I'm overreacting. But I can only concede about my initial reaction when I read the post. This parent is looking into ways to make sure she (or he) can carry all five cups. It strikes me as interesting that a child is old enough that giving them access to unlimited soda seems reasonable, yet they are incapable of keeping track of their own cup.

If I'm out of line, I apologize. It just struck me as a bit incongruous.

No, that seems reasonable and courteous. A parent trying to figure out how to wrangle FIVE soda cups seems distinctly different.

There are 5 people in my family.

So, it's responsible for me to carry my own cup;

it's polite to carry my husband's cup;

but it's infantalizing to carry my three children's cups.

What if one of my kids carried the pool bag from the cabin to the pool?

I tied a length of curling ribbon around my cup last year and it worked wonderful to differentiate my cup from my husbands. I actually have the ribbon on my packing list. The new cups wouldn't work though, the ribbon would slide right off. I was lucky on IOS a couple of weeks ago that they still had some of the old style and I switched to what felt good for my hand and the ribbon stayed on perfect.

Maybe nothing. Perhaps I'm overreacting. But I can only concede about my initial reaction when I read the post. This parent is looking into ways to make sure she (or he) can carry all five cups. It strikes me as interesting that a child is old enough that giving them access to unlimited soda seems reasonable, yet they are incapable of keeping track of their own cup.

If I'm out of line, I apologize. It just struck me as a bit incongruous.

Very common for a family to take one pool bag with all the "stuff" for everyone in it or hanging off it with a caribiner. The OP already said her kids like the flavored waters that are in the freestyle machines. Nothing wrong with letting kids have access to the freestyle machines for a week while they are on vacation. And if she has each kid take turns carrying the pool bag, they can work off some of those calories from any other drink they decide to try.

To the OP, I am going to see if the BBB near me has any of those handles. If I am able to get one, I will let you know how it fits on my freestyle cup. I looked at the handles on the Tervis tumbler website and there is a single ring handle that might be a better choice for the tapered cups. I will let you know if I find one.