Great News For Galveston

BallFour4

"Royal Caribbean wants to bring an even larger vehicle with 500 extra passengers. It's imperative that we get these improvements done before that happens."

That pretty much tells you Royal's moving a Freedom class (my guess is Independence) to Galveston. Those indeed hold about 500 more than the Voyager class. Which also means it won't be an Oasis class, which holds over 2000 more than a Voyager.

"Royal Caribbean wants to bring an even larger vehicle with 500 extra passengers. It's imperative that we get these improvements done before that happens."

That pretty much tells you Royal's moving a Freedom class (my guess is Independence) to Galveston. Those indeed hold about 500 more than the Voyager class. Which also means it won't be an Oasis class, which holds over 2000 more than a Voyager.

That was the speculation about a week ago when it was reported that Anthem would be home ported in Port Everglades starting in late 2015. So, I guess if that's true then the renovations in Galveston need to move forward pretty quickly.

Edited by joepeka

If the port uses the same construction crew that renovated the terminal area after Ike anything is possible. They had a mess, cleaned, updated and got it ready in a very short time.

I wonder about the pressures from the Bayport Terminal on Galveston, I live closer to Bayport but would rather cruise from the island.

Edited by BallFour4

I sincerely doubt it. NCL is minor league compared to Royal.

Heck NCL is even bush league to Carnival

And bay port is not a destination like Galveston.

I've seen the images of the NCL ship coming and it is very nice. I'm not sure they are "bush league" to Carnival, having been on every ship that has sailed from Galveston since 2002.

Royal's Majesty and Splendour of the Seas were showing their wear when they left here, but the Voyager class ships are nice. Our favorite from their fleet is the Freedom of the Seas.

Bayport will grow some, it's close to Kemah and easier to reach Hobby and IAH airports from there. The terminal is very nice inside, we toured with the chamber, but parking will need to be expanded. Galveston is a drive-up cruise port for much of the passenger counts.

Galveston will not sit idly, they have great deals with both powerhouse cruise lines.

Competition means lower prices, and the Triumph needs a challenge on 4-5 day cruises. Our cruises aboard that ship were nice vacations anyway.

Edited by BallFour4

Great news for Galveston, and we Texans in general.

Brings up a question for me. As I understand it Floridians get great resident discounts for the cruises embarking from Florida ports. But when I put in my information and try to do a mock booking of a Galveston cruise on RCI, I don't see any resident discount show up. Do they not provide resident discounts to Texas residents for Texas cruises the same way they provide them in Florida and other places for some reason?

A lot of what I've read or heard mentions that Navigator is the largest ship Galveston has had. I thought it was a sister ship to Mariner and Voyager that has already been there. What am I missing?

I'm guessing with the dry dock additions, Navigator is now slightly bigger than Mariner or Voyager.

I'm guessing with the dry dock additions, Navigator is now slightly bigger than Mariner or Voyager.

All three ships are the same class and have the same physical dimensions but I'm guessing you're right though: when "they" say Navigator is the largest ship to visit Galveston, they're talking post-refurb where I believe they added cabins and therefore more potential passengers.

Majesty was never in Galveston.

However, she was really showing her age when we sailed her 2 years ago from Florida.

Rhapsody and Splendour sailed from the Port of Galveston prior to Voyager class arriving,

My mistake, that's our next trip, so it was on my mind. I meant the Rhapsody. We had a mildew hole in the shower I took a digital image of and showed the captain. It was fixed in 2 hours...

Brings up a question for me. As I understand it Floridians get great resident discounts for the cruises embarking from Florida ports. But when I put in my information and try to do a mock booking of a Galveston cruise on RCI, I don't see any resident discount show up. Do they not provide resident discounts to Texas residents for Texas cruises the same way they provide them in Florida and other places for some reason?

It's not on every sailing... I recently got a price drop due to a Texas resident rate that came available on my August cruise on Navigator. Sometimes they have short lived availability, too.

It's not on every sailing... I recently got a price drop due to a Texas resident rate that came available on my August cruise on Navigator. Sometimes they have short lived availability, too.

Thanks, guess I'll just keep looking/watching. Out of curiosity, what was the discount you received from the resident rate - of course I realize they can likely vary...

Edited by LetsGetWet!

5 year agreement signed!

Don't get me wrong....I am happy you guys have a ship. But you just need to look as far as the west coast to see what contracts mean to the line.

I sit here in California, and just get mad....because almost EVERY Navigator cruise has California resident discounts. And for most of the ones that don't - have a senior discount. The rates on D1 cabins (for the most part) are substantially less than what we paid on 5 cruises on Mariner when it was here. That is why I was surprised to see an even larger ship scheduled to be deployed there.

We're just waiting for reports on the new Panoramic OV cabins on deck 12, and will probably book one of those for October 2014. Looks like the Jewel will be here for a short stint in late 2015....ready to book that now.

Edited by Piepkorn

We booked in May of 2013 for August of 2014. We've had a couple price drops since then, but at the lowest, our D1 was 969. The residency rate came up at 829. The interior room we have for the kids didn't have a residency rate available.

We plan to cruise out of Galveston for New Year's Eve cruise in Dec. 2015 so I'm really hoping a Freedom class ship is on the island by then. Yahoo!

Yes there will be larger ship in Galveston then. It's a contractual commitment between the Port and RCCL.

Navigator is leaving Galveston to San Juan supposedly April 2015.

Which ship in Galveston?

Plan on the larger than Voyager mentioned:)

Itineraries for 2015/partial 2016 should be out soon.

Edited by ssb

That was the speculation about a week ago when it was reported that Anthem would be home ported in Port Everglades starting in late 2015. So, I guess if that's true then the renovations in Galveston need to move forward pretty quickly.

I wonder if Anthem might be replacing Allure in FL when it goes to Europe. I find it hard to believe that RC would risk losing passangers when Allure departs for Europe, unless of course they replace Allure with something substantial. I know my timing isn't 100% but I am thinking of theory.

Edited by A&L_Ont

I wonder if it's a survey of were people are from at time of inquiry at the website when they want your state of residence. Both Carnival and RCCL do it, and then add in the over 55 and military service questions.

Texas has a huge drive-up market regardless of cruise length, cruise line or time of year. The exceptions we see are school holidays. Our most recent cruise on 12/26/2013 had people from all over the country, perhaps more than usual.

Edited by BallFour4

Y'all correct. RCL pulled out the Dungeon, added rooms near SPA, and other areas, hence more on board, or a "larger ship." I think the NOS is year-round based in GVS. However, who knows if a bigger, not larger, ship will visit. ;)

I wonder if it's a survey of were people are from at time of inquiry at the website when they want your state of residence. Both Carnival and RCCL do it, and then add in the over 55 and military service questions.

Texas has a huge drive-up market regardless of cruise length, cruise line or time of year. The exceptions we see are school holidays. Our most recent cruise on 12/26/2013 had people from all over the country, perhaps more than usual.

They may well keep the data for their use elsewhere, but it is for resident discounts also. I went back this afternoon and was able to find some resident discounts offered with my Texas zip code for the Galveston sailings later this year. I was also offered senior discounts after checking the over 55 box. I didn't try the military box, because it doesn't apply to me.

Edited by LetsGetWet!