Do any anti-ageing creams really work?

Kinkacruiser

Not really! Surgery is about the only thing that will take away wrinkles. However, I do like the Dermasilk 5-Minute Facelift....it's pricey, but it will tighten your skin a bit. If you apply as they say, let it dry well, then you can put a good primer on, so that your makeup glides on and doesn't "appear" to have as deep or as many lines as before. Of course, it's all an optical illusion, but who cares? If others don't see as many lines, then it works! I also like to use a pink concealer pencil in any deeper lines....bounces light back, making the lines less noticable!

Edited by cb at sea

I disagree (imagine that!). I have found that the L'Oreal Youth Code line makes a difference. Will it make you look 20 again? No, but it definitely has smoothed and brightened my skin. I have laugh lines and don't mind them, I earned them! But overall I don't think my skin looks my age at all (61) and I live in the desert. Olay Regenerist products also make a visible difference.

I disagree (imagine that!). I have found that the L'Oreal Youth Code line makes a difference. Will it make you look 20 again? No, but it definitely has smoothed and brightened my skin. I have laugh lines and don't mind them, I earned them! But overall I don't think my skin looks my age at all (61) and I live in the desert. Olay Regenerist products also make a visible difference.

A few years ago a dermotologist I sat next to on a plane told me alpha-hydroxys in the morning & retinol at night. I began using Neutrogena with these products & I am THRILLED. I am 47, virtually no wrinkles around my eyes & am thought to be 5-15 years younger than I am. I was not a sun worshipper when I was younger, but spend much more time in the sun the last 10 years with baseball & kids who love to swim.

Why I KNOW it works is that I always rub the lotion over my hands after I do my face. The backs of my hands have NO sun spots at all--and you can see the difference on my arms where you can see the freckles & affects of the sun.

My 68YO mother also uses the Neutrogena & feels the same way--she also is often mistaken for being 5-10 years younger. (it may help that we aren't the skinniest minis either...plump those wrinkles out a bit!)

Since I spoke with that dermo, there are other products that are good, like Vitamin C. I have begun using a serum morning & night as well, and really feel Youth Code has minimized my forehead wrinkles.

I am very tolerant of the retinol; if it causes flakiness, try using it every other night. (and it is LOTS cheaper than Retin A!) Love that inexpensive brands are just as effective as higher priced stuff.

Edited by KKB

I am 52 and started using Strivectin about 6 weeks ago - and notice a real difference, especially around my eyes.

My skin is in good shape, and my dermatologist & friends have told me that I have less wrinkling than the "average" woman my age. I have purchased extremely expensive products from the dermatologist, have used retinols, and did not notice a great deal of difference, but this Strivectin stuff seems to be working.

I have had 3 or 4 people in the last 10 days ask me what I've done to my skin because it looks so good. And yesterday I was sitting at a light in the car and was looking at my eyes. I had on frosted eye shadow and my eyes absolutely did not look so crepey. They looked okay with frosted shadow! That hasn't happened in years.

I've been using the Strivectin night creme, day creme, eye cream and neck/decollete creams. It is all expensive, however Ulta has sample packs that will last long enough that you can decide whether you want to make the investment. The pack I bought was $89 - but I had a coupon so that saved a bit. They will also have travel kits on Ulta from time to time. I managed to get one for FREE when I spent $50 online during a 4-hour flash sale. (It's worth signing up for Ulta's emails just for some of these deals!) I'm going to buy the night cream at Costco, and will be buying the day cream and eye cream.

For neck and decollete I have used Exuviance for about a year and have been impressed with how it has improved my chest area in particular. However, I'm also trying a serum from Philosophy right now and will see how that helps. Exuviance is also expensive - $79 a tube, but it lasts about 6 months (use 2 times a day).

Aging ain't fun, is it?

Have any mature ladies found a wrinkle/anti ageing cream that really makes a difference. I'm looking to upgrade and try something different, but think they only offer hope.

Shisedo Lucent products and Peter Thomas Roth facial pads have done wonders on my face. These products have reduced the age spots and brightened my skin....but, had to use these products for a few weeks to see any results.

Clarisonic face brush is awesome....it really cleans face deeply.

Am not a "mature" woman per se but have been using Obagi products for years and look a whole lot younger than my 40ish peers (so they tell me) and Retin A

However, the best anti aging cream is sunscreen-even if you aren't at the beach-for daily wear, even on cloudy days.

No creams are going to give more than a hunt if improvement. Good ones will help prevent further damage. For real change you can start with microdermabrasion or a chemical peel, and move to Botox and Juvederm.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

I think the best cream is a sunblock, and that you should start using it when you are still very young.

Also, don't smoke, don't lose and gain large amounts of weight, especially quickly, and eat a healthy diet. Drinks lots and lots of water! I think staying hydrated makes a huge difference in your skin.

I don't think there are any miracle creams, other than sunblock, so I probably wouldn't spend too much money on them. It doesn't hurt to have great genes too!:)

I'm 60 and have fairly nice skin, but I thank my parents for that. My mom has 6 sisters and 3 of them have lovely skin and the other 3 have wrinkles and sags. The 3 with great skin have never smoked or lost a ton of weight.

I think that's all we can do for ourselves until we need a little help from the professionals.;)

I'm soon to be 66. I found after 60 the creams, etc. don't keep up so well with the aging process. So, 4 years ago I got several microdermabrasion treatments, and juvaderm on my vertical frown lines between my eyes, and around my mouth. What Juvaderm did for me is push out the skin, and then my regular routine below allowed me to gently over a long period of time keep the skin pretty much wrinkle-free. Not 100%, but MUCH better than when I started. I haven't had to get anymore Juvaderm.

It's dead skin cells that "enhance" wrinkles, so you have to keep the new cells on top.

I also had laser work done on the backs of my hands, forearms, and face to remove age spots. This is something that I will keep doing every 3 - 5 years, because your hands and arms are what age you, too. I use prescription Retinol-A on my face, tops of my hands, and my arms.

If you met me you would think I was between 50 - 55 years old; so I'm told.

Pre-cleanse light oil of choice (this is important, because it dissolves all the make-up and surface stuff).

Mild exfoliating cleanser - Dermalogica AgeSmart , boosted with a VERY gentle enzyme peel once a week - Amore Pacific.

Nuskin's rejuvenating cream applied with moist hands, and Nuskin's Tru Face Line Corrector for deeper wrinkle areas.

SPF 100+ sunscreen to keep the age spots from coming back.

I buy everything on ebay or Amazon in the biggest quantities I can get. Saves me about 40%, and I only have to buy twice a year. I would estimate I spend about $30 a month average.

Edited by pcur

Another vote for Obaji ... I get it from my esthetician ... DO NOT try to get it from Amazon.com - it's more than likely not the real thing or out dated and, thus, a complete waste of money.

I get microdermabrasion and peels as well, which absolutely help skin tone, pores and elasticity.

But I gotta tell you, if I'm being completely honest, nothing's gonna work as well as Botox. Botox has been a lifesaver, as well, for stress tension headaches that had, in the past, about leveled me. And I got rid of what I commonly referred to as the "butt crack" that had formed between my eyes after years of squinting at the sun.

I also do Juvaderm, while I'm coming clean with complete (for the most part) strangers, on the "marionette lines" around my mouth.

:eek:

Edited by heyitsmejudy

They probably all work to some degree. Using an antiaging formula is better than not using anything. I believe it is mostly genes. My 90 year old mother does not have any wrinkles and swore by Abolene, for removing her makeup. They didn't have retinol products when she was in her 60's. I've read that Witch Hazel helps with collagen production. My grandmother believed that and alcohol kept her skin young.

I have discovered an electric rotating brush exfoliating cleaner. I believe it makes my skin look clearer and more even. I agree with the alpha hydrox in the A.M., and retinol product in the P.M.

No one has mentioned Sculptra. It is longer lasting than juvederm. I may be trying juvederm voluma soon, depending on my derm's recommendations.

When all is said and done,something is better than nothing....but if you have thin skin, you are going to wrinkle. The products may just soften them.

Since I spoke with that dermo, there are other products that are good, like Vitamin C.

Vitamin C is not absorbed through the skin, so applying it as an ointment or cream does no good. It's also not stored by the body, so any excess someone consumes orally is just excreted in urine.

I think a big problem is that so many people are under-hydrated. I've made a conscious effort to drink more water this year (one of the few New Year's Resolutions I've ever kept, haha), and I've noticed my skin is firmer and less loose. I don't drink enough to cause hyponatremia, which at its most extreme can be fatal, but drinking more water has helped me look and feel better.

Edited by BeagleOne

A few years ago a dermotologist I sat next to on a plane told me alpha-hydroxys in the morning & retinol at night. I began using Neutrogena with these products & I am THRILLED. I am 47, virtually no wrinkles around my eyes & am thought to be 5-15 years younger than I am. I was not a sun worshipper when I was younger, but spend much more time in the sun the last 10 years with baseball & kids who love to swim.

Why I KNOW it works is that I always rub the lotion over my hands after I do my face. The backs of my hands have NO sun spots at all--and you can see the difference on my arms where you can see the freckles & affects of the sun.

My 68YO mother also uses the Neutrogena & feels the same way--she also is often mistaken for being 5-10 years younger. (it may help that we aren't the skinniest minis either...plump those wrinkles out a bit!)

Since I spoke with that dermo, there are other products that are good, like Vitamin C. I have begun using a serum morning & night as well, and really feel Youth Code has minimized my forehead wrinkles.

I am very tolerant of the retinol; if it causes flakiness, try using it every other night. (and it is LOTS cheaper than Retin A!) Love that inexpensive brands are just as effective as higher priced stuff.

what Neutrogena products do you use? I looked and there are a million to choose from.

what Neutrogena products do you use? I looked and there are a million to choose from.

But truly they are 2 of the most basic products--day cream with alpha-hydroxys (look for that on the label) & one with retinol on the label (I don't think it is labeled a night cream, tho it might be). They are some of the lower priced of the products; just check the labels carefully. Of course both contain sunscreen. (one note about retinol--it does make your skin more sun sensitive. While I do use sunscreen daily, I am outside often with children in swimming & baseball, so I don't use retinol in the summer)

Vitamin C is quite absorbable by the skin, but is difficult to stablize in creams:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3673383/

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/1001.html

Edited by KKB

Did a quick internet search - found these:

daytime - alpha hydroxy:

http://www.neutrogena.ca/moisturizers/wrinkles-spf-tone-multi-benefit-oil-free/healthy-skin-face-lotion-spf-15

For night time - retinol:

http://www.neutrogena.com/product/healthy+skin+anti-wrinkle+cream+-+night.do?sortby=ourPicks

http://www.neutrogena.com/product/ageless+intensives-+anti-wrinkle+deep+wrinkle+night+moisturizer.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=1

I have been using an Olay regenerist 'elixir' at night and I think it works great as well (also with alpha hydroxy): http://www.olay.com/skin-care-products/anti-aging-products/facial-moisturizers?pid=075609034558 (this actually replaces moisturizer - like a serum and moisturizer in one)

Edited by Froufie

Be careful with Retinol, it also thins your skin. It can cause your skin to tear with even slight scrapes, and if you wax your eyebrows, you can literally rip several layers of skin off (enough to cause scarring) if you've been using a Retinol product within the past 30 days.

My aesthetician won't even wax legs if someone has used a Retinol product on their face in the previous month. She suggests a vitamin C based serum under a rich moisturizer to help soften lines and prevent further damage (nothing will make them go away that doesn't require injections, peels, or surgery). She also suggests plain old witch hazel to minimize the pores we get as we age --those even more than lines can make you look older.

Be careful with Retinol, it also thins your skin. It can cause your skin to tear with even slight scrapes, and if you wax your eyebrows, you can literally rip several layers of skin off (enough to cause scarring) if you've been using a Retinol product within the past 30 days.

My aesthetician won't even wax legs if someone has used a Retinol product on their face in the previous month. She suggests a vitamin C based serum under a rich moisturizer to help soften lines and prevent further damage (nothing will make them go away that doesn't require injections, peels, or surgery). She also suggests plain old witch hazel to minimize the pores we get as we age --those even more than lines can make you look older.

I tried Retinol a couple of weeks ago and the skin under my right eye split after a couple of applications. Ugh...I have thrown it all in the trash. I will just use the olive oil/castor oil wash and sunscreen. I am supposed to have my brows waxed on Saturday, so I will be canceling that part of my appointment. Thanks for the heads up on the waxing.

Lisa

Maybe your aesthetician is confusing retinol products with steroid creams. Retin-A and its variations like Differin and Atralin stimulate the production of collagen, while steroid creams can cause thinning of skin with long-term use. And there is absolutely no reason why you can't have your legs waxed if you use retinol products on your face -- how did she even come up with that?

One thing to note is that retinol is weaker than Retin-A. I imagine the above warning is about Retin-A, not retinol.

Retinol can still be irritating; if it causes irritation, try using it every other day or every 3 days.

Did a quick internet search - found these:

daytime - alpha hydroxy:

http://www.neutrogena.ca/moisturizers/wrinkles-spf-tone-multi-benefit-oil-free/healthy-skin-face-lotion-spf-15

For night time - retinol:

http://www.neutrogena.com/product/healthy+skin+anti-wrinkle+cream+-+night.do?sortby=ourPicks

http://www.neutrogena.com/product/ageless+intensives-+anti-wrinkle+deep+wrinkle+night+moisturizer.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=1

I have been using an Olay regenerist 'elixir' at night and I think it works great as well (also with alpha hydroxy): http://www.olay.com/skin-care-products/anti-aging-products/facial-moisturizers?pid=075609034558 (this actually replaces moisturizer - like a serum and moisturizer in one)

Those are exactly the ones I use!!! (I watch for coupons & when they are on sale at Target or Walgreens BOGOhalf off)

One thing to note is that retinol is weaker than Retin-A. I imagine the above warning is about Retin-A, not retinol.

Retinol can still be irritating; if it causes irritation, try using it every other day or every 3 days.

No, it is about Retinol.

• 4 weeks later...