Laundry questions - first time Celebrity cruiser

tinkmom

LOL. It IS my personal opinion that not having a self-service laundry facility is a "con" for Celebrity.

Ir is further my opinion that spending a couple of hundred dollars to have someone else wash our clothes when we could throw in a couple of loads and handle our own dainties is an unwelcome expenditure when I am establishing our budgetary priorities.

WE would enjoy our vacation better if we had the cash to spend elsewhere, as well as our personal preference for handling our own clothing. You may feel otheriwse, as you are free to form your own opinions, of course.

We have sailed with Celebrity and used the Laundry service. I found it very reasonable - slighty lower cost to to the same service as hotels around the world. I should say though that I don't use hotels laundry services unless we are away for a really long time, when on a cruise or in a hotel , I always wash underwear daily in the basin until the last 6 or 7 days until our trip ends, then do a full wash once home.

I have used the princess lines self service laundry once on a South Pacific cruise, I am really glad though that I have not been in a cabin anywhere near a self serve laundry - Noise could be a issue - not with the washing machines/dryers but more with passenger noise! I also would worry that someone might leave a iron on, face down! This is why I also love the Celebrity policy on smoking - same as I would only book a non smoking floor in a high rise hotel.

Happy sailing to all

Carol

They will often have the stuff the bag special on longer cruises (more than a week) so you may be in luck. If they do offer it, roll clothes to fit as much as possible in the bag. I carry the travel sized packets of liquid Tide and handle the socks, underwear & swimsuits that way.

You can do a little laundry every day and it is handy to have the packets. Don't be afraid to wear outfits twice. No one cares but you.

If you feel so strongly about this, why are you cruising on Celebrity? Sounds like they aren't the cruise line for you at all.

It amazes me that people will purchase a product, then complain about it. It was your decision to book a cruise on a cruise line so unworthy that they don't have something so precious to you. Why do that to yourself?

Me, I don't spend my money on a product that I won't be satisfied with. It's a technique called "spending money wisely".

Also, I enjoy my vacations much better when I don't go into them already complaining about something.

As someone else said in an earlier post, this isn't about opinions. It's about priorities.

An opinion isn't necessarily a complaint.

Personally, I consider access to a washing machine and dryer on a long vacation as a plus. It fits somewhere in lower half of my cruise accommodation list of priorities after recently built ship, clean and modern decor, no icky bedspread, and absurd happiness for shower doors over shower curtains in confined and humid spaces. Somewhat odd list but it works to keep me happy. Celebrity does offer a reliable alternative which is acceptable to me, pay by the piece for laundry, and I don't particularly mind hand washing a few times. Since there are alternatives which I consider acceptable, though not preferred, it isn't a deal breaker and I happily pay to cruise Celebrity S class which meets all my other room criteria. No complaints, just my own opinion and honest admission of a lower priority preference. Others may value self-serve laundromats highly and it could encourage them to choose a cruise line which offers such facilities.

I also now know not to send nice (new :( ) silk blouse with removable oil stains out as I might receive it with some permanent new stains in return. Chalked that one up to a cost of the vacation and will just bring darker, less expensive, and less temperamental laundry. Or dab some soap on stains and have things properly laundered when I get home. I hate to imagine what they might do to a wool sweater/jumper.

A 2.5 gallon zip top bag is easy to pack and use as a ad-hoc washer. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hefty-OneZip-Jumbo-2.5-Gallon-Multi-Purpose-Bags-12-ct/11027203 Just fill with clothing, a bit of the complimentary shampoo, cool water, zip, and shake. Rinse well, squish water out gently but firmly, and lay each piece onto a large dry towel. Make a clothing roll/burrito and squish to remove extra water. Then hang it up to dry. There's a few products for people who prefer doing their own small pieces of laundry like this http://thescrubba.com/pages/using-your-scrubba

KonaJo - I like the "excuseme-whereis" website for finding supermarkets, laundromats, public toilets, and other such conveniences for some Italian cities. Rome is covered. Take a look

http://www.excuseme-whereis.com/Rome.html

LOL. It IS my personal opinion that not having a self-service laundry facility is a "con" for Celebrity.

Ir is further my opinion that spending a couple of hundred dollars to have someone else wash our clothes when we could throw in a couple of loads and handle our own dainties is an unwelcome expenditure when I am establishing our budgetary priorities.

WE would enjoy our vacation better if we had the cash to spend elsewhere, as well as our personal preference for handling our own clothing. You may feel otheriwse, as you are free to form your own opinions, of course.

Excellent opinion.;)

The option of a self service laundry is an asset for some, not a liability.

Choice is always a good thing.:)

There's a few products for people who prefer doing their own small pieces of laundry like this http://thescrubba.com/pages/using-your-scrubba

[/url]

Thank you for the tips! This is a great option for gym wear.

I, too, prefer the option of self-serve laundry, especially for longer itineraries. I also am acutely aware of how I want to spend my vacation time and dollars. And like most others, I know there are other cruise lines. Geez. Nothing ever got changed by everyone accepting the status quo.

The OP was taking a ten day cruise. Easy peasy IMHO. One word: black. Dresses, slacks, whatever. Wear again, and again, especially evening clothes. Pack lighter weight fabrics so you can fit more in a suitcase. No need to send out laundry or even wash unmentionables in the sink. Have done it many times so I speak from experience. Longer cruises, different story. Personal decision that may not appeal to everyone but definitely possible.

I agree with all of you that it is great to have choices. Our choice is to sail Celebrity and use the laundry service.

This allows us to never pack more than ten days worth of clothes, even for the longest trip, thus saving the money and effort of taking bigger/more bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We use the laundry service but I am cautious about what I send out. Never my most delicate items, nor the dark colored items that I want to retain their color. It seems that the laundry uses hot water and a hot dryer.

We do send out cotton undies, socks, and older tees that I don't mind getting faded and that are unlikely to shrink.

We do 14 day cruises and usually have a week or two on land. If we are in the US, we have done laundry the day before embarkation day - at a place that has cooler temperature wash and dry.

We tend to pack for 7 days on the cruise and then re-wear clothing that passes the sniff test, and send out or hand wash the stuff that doesn't. We send out clothing 6 days into the cruise for a 14 day cruise - if we were able to board with all clean clothing. If not, we split it and send out laundry on day 2 or 3 and then on day 9 or 10. We pack in 2 each carry-on suitcases and 2 each 24" suitcases.

I hope this helps.

And just a reminder - please, there is no right or wrong about this. Please don't criticize Celebrity because they choose to not have a self-laundry and don't criticize those who use the self-laundry on other ships. Again, there is no right or wrong. I might not choose to use my time to do laundry, but then I don't like doing laundry and put it off at home as long as possible (we have to use a laundromat because we are on a well & septic tank). Others might enjoy the task of transforming funky clothes into nice fresh ones.

Just a little civility - that's all I'm requesting. Please don't chastize others for their feelings about this very personal matter.

Smiles.

KonaJo - I like the "excuseme-whereis" website for finding supermarkets, laundromats, public toilets, and other such conveniences for some Italian cities. Rome is covered. Take a look

http://www.excuseme-whereis.com/Rome.html

Thank you so much for this link. We've actually been on the road already since June 5th and won't be returning home to Hawaii until Dec 3rd. Having this information is extremely helpful. Since we're only taking 1 suitcase and 2 carryon's between the 2 of us, I can probably toss half our clothes towards the end of our trip. They may not be worn out, but I'll probably be sick of them by then:eek:

• 1 month later...

As the OP in this thread, I thought I would come back and update.

According to our stateroom attendant on the Infinity, the "stuff the bag" deal had not been offered for quite some time. We sent a few items out (jeans and heavier items) to be cleaned, and I hand washed several others, so it worked out.

On our return to London, before another several days touring, I spent an hour and a half with a book at the laundromat very near our hotel and got two loads washed and dried, which got us through the rest of our trip.

Again, I would love to have the self-laundry option onboard, but it isn't a deal breaker for us.

Agree that it would be nice to have such self-service laundry services on these large ships. We have been on smaller, luxury ships with such equipment. BUT, on a ship as large as the Solstice with 2,850 passengers, you would need lots and lots of self-serve equipment in many different locations. Not easy or simple.

We had a coupon for a bag of laundry at $20. It worked well for us and the staff did an excellent job. Clearly there are "trade-offs". Especially as so many people would want to be doing laundry on sea days. Gets complicated making everyone happy!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 76,063 views for this fun posting.

As the OP in this thread, I thought I would come back and update.

According to our stateroom attendant on the Infinity, the "stuff the bag" deal had not been offered for quite some time. We sent a few items out (jeans and heavier items) to be cleaned, and I hand washed several others, so it worked out.

On our return to London, before another several days touring, I spent an hour and a half with a book at the laundromat very near our hotel and got two loads washed and dried, which got us through the rest of our trip.

Again, I would love to have the self-laundry option onboard, but it isn't a deal breaker for us.

Thanks for the update.

Having no self-serve laundry on board is not a deal breaker for us either... We see Cruising as a more lux / pampering type of vacation so we view it with a mindset of enjoying / savouring every.single.second we have from Embarkation to Debarkation

Doing laundry doesn't fit into that POV

We do laundry when we are ashore... On the land part of our holidays before or after the cruise. We either head for a local Laundromat or choose accommodations that offer self-serve laundry machines.

Life is short... Dishing out a few extra bucks for laundry while I am mellowing out watching the world go by on the ship... or exploring an exotic port of call is well worth it for us. Memories such as those are priceless... Laundry is a chore... Plenty of time for that crapola the rest of the year.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Thanks for the update.

Having no self-serve laundry on board is not a deal breaker for us either... We see Cruising as a more lux / pampering type of vacation so we view it with a mindset of enjoying / savouring every.single.second we have from Embarkation to Debarkation

Doing laundry doesn't fit into that POV

We do laundry when we are ashore... On the land part of our holidays before or after the cruise. We either head for a local Laundromat or choose accommodations that offer self-serve laundry machines.

Life is short... Dishing out a few extra bucks for laundry while I am mellowing out watching the world go by on the ship... or exploring an exotic port of call is well worth it for us. Memories such as those are priceless... Laundry is a chore... Plenty of time for that crapola the rest of the year.

Cheers!

Funny how we can view this totally differently! I would much rather throw in a load of clothes early or late one day while onboard, go back in half an hour to transfer, then a bit later to get my laundry than deal with a laundromat on the land part of my vacation. Seems MUCH less hassle to me. Besides my other issue about not having just anyone handle my dainties. ;)

At any rate, my whole point in updating was not to reopen any disagreements about the value of self-service laundry onboard, but more to let those interested in the prospect of getting a bag of laundry done for a set amount know that that promo was NOT offered onboard the Infinity, and the stateroom attendant did not seem to think it was going to be offered on any sort of regular basis in the future.

Funny how we can view this totally differently!

I would much rather throw in a load of clothes early or late one day while onboard, go back in half an hour to transfer, then a bit later to get my laundry than deal with a laundromat on the land part of my vacation. Seems MUCH less hassle to me. Besides my other issue about not having just anyone handle my dainties. ;) .

Sounds good but would never happen that way.

Unless you are going to sit there & babysit the load (and thereby give up some part of your cruise enjoyment... Which is my problem with self laundry) chances are pretty high that you would come back to find "your dainties" and everything else not where you left them.

Lots of posts like that here on CC

Whereas when I am ashore, I either am in a rental property with its own laundry, a hotel with self serve, or a laundromat. In my experience the chances of having my stuff moved are much lower if I am not babysitting them in these places (although I usually do in a Laundromat... Cause in some places it isn't just a case of having your stuff moved ... But also possibly stolen)

In truth like yourself, We do seem to on the same page on one issue... I much prefer doing my own clothes in my own way... And I rarely send out undies... Something I just don't want to think about / visualize.

:eek: ick !!

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

We've taken advantage of the Elite laundry benefit on Celebrity ever since we became Elite. Before then we took enough clothes for the cruise or paid the per piece charge. I could not imagine spending part of any vacation doing laundry and have no qualms about sending undies to the laundry, unless they are some of my hand wash only, which I do in the sink. We are just a cabin number to those in Celebrity's laundry.

Mary Lou

I too wish there were more options on Celebrity for an economical way to get some essentials washed. We always travel with our two young kids and obviously have more laundry than if it were just my husband and I. We have never tried Celebrity, and are booked in January on a B2B. Many things about Celebrity I find are attractive and we are anxious to see for ourselves. However, no "by the bag" service and no self service laundry is disappointing. We've always had this on HAL and it was a great service.

I plan on doing some laundry in our bathroom and hanging it to dry. A busy mom lugging laundry ashore on a port day to a laundromat is NOT an option.

I too wish there were more options on Celebrity for an economical way to get some essentials washed. We always travel with our two young kids and obviously have more laundry than if it were just my husband and I. We have never tried Celebrity, and are booked in January on a B2B. Many things about Celebrity I find are attractive and we are anxious to see for ourselves. However, no "by the bag" service and no self service laundry is disappointing. We've always had this on HAL and it was a great service.

I plan on doing some laundry in our bathroom and hanging it to dry. A busy mom lugging laundry ashore on a port day to a laundromat is NOT an option.

Because your post touched me (Mom to Mom) and I care about your first Celebrity experience...

You should know that if you are sailing on a Celebrity S-Class Ship, that there are no clotheslines in the cabins. And "technically" one is not allowed to hang laundry / wet items on the balconies (although many get around this especially when it comes to bathing suits and pegging them to the backs of the deck chairs using sturdy Boca Clips)

Boca Clips = http://www.missbusygirl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/boca-clips.jpg

Beyond those, also plan on packing a travel clothesline if you are sailing S-Class.

We also brought along a few heavy duty magnetic hooks, and we're easily able to string the line across the top of the bathroom (out of the way) overnight. Items were dry in the morning.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

As you haven't sailed on Celebrity before, and

Because your post touched me (Mom to Mom) and I care about your first Celebrity experience...

You should know that if you are sailing on a Celebrity S-Class Ship, that there are no clotheslines in the cabins. And "technically" one is not allowed to hang laundry / wet items on the balconies (although many get around this especially when it comes to bathing suits and pegging them to the backs of the deck chairs using sturdy Boca Clips)

Boca Clips = http://www.missbusygirl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/boca-clips.jpg

Beyond those, also plan on packing a travel clothesline if you are sailing S-Class.

We also brought along a few heavy duty magnetic hooks, and we're easily able to string the line across the top of the bathroom (out of the way) overnight. Items were dry in the morning.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

As you haven't sailed on Celebrity before, and

Thanks for the info about the clothesline in the cabins. We are on the Constellation in January. I have a plan in place. I ordered a short travel nylon clothesline and I got 50 diaper pins. We have a family verandah in the aft, so there will be plenty of discreet places to hang out some things while in port.

I have a problem spending as much laundering as I spent on the wardrobe. There are good traveling clothes on the market now that are easily rinsed out in the sink. Polyester knit t-shirts and polo shirts, etc. exofficio, travel smith, bass pro shop, magellans, orvis, and other companies make great clothes for extended travel. Chicos travelers and JJill wearever lines can even cross over into formal night. We did a 51 day cruise and only needed to wash jeans, hubby's dress shirt, and his socks. Everything else was sinkable.

We also take a spray bottle, a 3oz bottle of fabric softener, and a 3oz bottle of rubbing alcohol. 1 cup water plus a teaspoon of water and one of alcohol, and you have a wrinkle release clone. Liberally spritz wrinkled clothes and let dry. Greatly reduced need for ironing.

Or, travel like my Grandmother. Take old clothes on the trip and toss them as they get dirty. She used to weed out her wardrobe every cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were 14 days in Europe in May including a 10 day cruise on Reflection, and there was no "stuff your bag" special there either. As regular Princess cruisers, I have to say I really missed their laundramat and iron set up on every deck. However, it's not a deal breaker for us. We just sent out items we needed laundered or dry cleaned, and looked at it as a necessary travel expense. No complaints about the service, either --- everything was nicely cleaned and folded (or hung on hangers), no sign of shrinkage or fading from overly hot water. I can't see myself lugging clothes ashore to wash while in port, or for that matter hanging wet clothes around the cabin or on the balcony (ship would look like Naples at that point, those who have been there will know what I mean.) Anyway, it was a small amount compared to the cost of our vacation, not enough to stress over. Still miss the Princess laundry, though.

I realize that this is a really old thread, but I am LOL at Tinkmom's comment that the idea of hand washing clothes in the sink creeps her out! I am quite the opposite -- the idea of having my clothes handled by strangers is far more creepy to me! We do a tiny amount of laundry each day, usually underthings, socks and shirts. We count on re-wearing shorts, skirts, slacks several times. But it is really no big deal to wash out a few things, roll in a towel to blot, then hang either on the clothesline or on hangers in the closet. We work hard to find clothing made of quick drying fabrics so we don't have to worry about them being dry enough to wear or pack. As for the prices, I have heard of people who were stunned to wind up with a laundry bill of over $300, and not dry cleaning! Now THAT creeps me out!

Jan

I realize that this is a really old thread, but I am LOL at Tinkmom's comment that the idea of hand washing clothes in the sink creeps her out! I am quite the opposite -- the idea of having my clothes handled by strangers is far more creepy to me! We do a tiny amount of laundry each day, usually underthings, socks and shirts. We count on re-wearing shorts, skirts, slacks several times. But it is really no big deal to wash out a few things, roll in a towel to blot, then hang either on the clothesline or on hangers in the closet. We work hard to find clothing made of quick drying fabrics so we don't have to worry about them being dry enough to wear or pack. As for the prices, I have heard of people who were stunned to wind up with a laundry bill of over $300, and not dry cleaning! Now THAT creeps me out!

Jan

On the creepout factor, having my clothes mingled with strangers undies, etc is gross. I would much rather do the sink thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
I swear by DriFit & GoLight clothes. They wash in a sink & dry very quickly. If you are on a S-class ship they don't have clothes lines like the M class. I bring a slacks hanger with me to cut down on the wrinkles. Enjoy your cruise

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if Century has a clothes line in shower?