Concierge vs Penthouse

Winters Gate

I'm about to book a Caribbien Cruise from Miami ***** the Riviera but can't decide if concerige or Penthouse is my choise! The price diffren't are about $1100, what do I get for it? Is it worth it for a larger cabin and a Butler.

Can someone please tell me the benefits of the Penthouse?

I'm about to book a Caribbien Cruise from Miami ***** the Riviera but can't decide if concerige or Penthouse is my choise! The price diffren't are about $1100, what do I get for it? Is it worth it for a larger cabin and a Butler.

Can someone please tell me the benefits of the Penthouse?

Concierge Veranda

marina-balcony-suite.jpgo-staterooms-3d-a1.jpg

Only you can decide if the differences (which are well documented on the Oceania Web Site) are "worth it", but as far as Cabin size is concerned, the Penthouses are not marginally larger,they are just about twice the size of a Concierge Cabin. The square footage is not 100% greater ( 282 vs 420) but the Penthouses definitely "feel" twice as large.

Penthouse Suite

o-staterooms-3d-ph1.jpg5Cabin_Penthouse%20Suite_Marina.jpg

In the Penthouse Suites, the Walk In Closets are a huge plus, as are the larger more luxurious bathrooms.

Penthouse Guests get an earlier crack at Specialty Restaurant Reservations than do Concierge Guests and are also permitted to board the ship earlier on Embarkation Day if that means anything to you.

If you can easily afford the penthouse and the more expensive insurance; go for it. If you would rather spend the money on excursions or other fun things book a balcony or concierge. I did not think the concierge was worth the difference from a balcony. Cruising in a suite is a wonderful way to go.

I don't think the PH is worth it on a cruise that lasts less than two weeks

You don't need the huge closet on a Caribbean cruise -- unless you are going to seriously overpack. We just took our first (and last) Caribbean cruise on Riviera. I am an overpacker in the extreme and did not even fill up the CC cabin closet.

On a longer cruise I go for the PH

On a shorter cruise I can go in an OUTSIDE

I think the CC level is nice on the O class ships because of the lounge and the nicer spa deck to which you would have access and likely use in good weather.

As for extra restaurant reservations, I was in a CC cabin and was able to dine in the Specialties 7 out of 10 nights and I did not even try for the other 3.

Edited by pacheco18

You'd have to be in an Oceania Suite, Vista Suite or Owners Suite to get double basins on Marina or Riviera.

On the "R" ships, it's just the Vista and Owners. In fact, I'm trying to recall if we had double basins there ... but I'm sure we did. It's just so long ago that I don't specifically recall. Of course, on the "R" ships you have a second half-bath so one could always use the basin in there ...

Mura

You'd have to be in an Oceania Suite, Vista Suite or Owners Suite to get double basins on Marina or Riviera.

On the "R" ships, it's just the Vista and Owners. In fact, I'm trying to recall if we had double basins there ... but I'm sure we did. It's just so long ago that I don't specifically recall. Of course, on the "R" ships you have a second half-bath so one could always use the basin in there ...

Mura

Maura I usually agree with you but in this case I remember that the OS on the R ships only have one basin in the bathroom and one in the powder room. ;) by all means if you can get the PH where you can order from any Specialty Restaurant to be served in your suite and ,of course, for the extra space....

Edited by orchestrapal

After reading that there is no place to put your clothes in a concierge suite (people posting about storing clothes in the bathtub :eek: ), I would not even consider a concierge suite. If, for monetary or other reasons, I felt that the smaller suites were adequate, I would take the least expensive suite possible as I do not feel "concierge" adds anything worth the extra $$$.

We found the penthouse suite to be very comfortable and laid out very well (better than the penthouse suite we are used to on Regent).

In terms of "basins", on ships with two basins (Silversea for instance), we find the basins take away too much counter space. Two bathrooms, on the other hand, make a huge difference (which we why we booked a Vista Suite for our next cruise). Mr. Luxury, since you are used to a true luxury experience on Seabourn, why are you considering Oceania? Just curiousity:)

If you want extra space & the butler with all the trimmings take the PH

If you can live with a smaller cabin ..it is still livable for some then go with a B cabin.. save the money you spend on a Concierge for other things

We found we did not really use the perks of the concierge cabin enough that we would pay for one

The A & B cabins are the same size just the perks are different

Enjoy whatever you choose

Lyn

How are the hair dryers in the PH suites? THe ones in concierge class last year were extremely poor and were close to the kind on the wall in hotel rooms. I was hoping PH and above are better.

Thank you.

An interested party

Mr. Luxury, since you are used to a true luxury experience on Seabourn, why are you considering Oceania? Just curiousity:)

I want to see how the other folks live.:D

No seriously,I have been looking at Riviera and Marina for a while but always decide against them.

I would like to just tick a box as I have done with almost all lines over the years.

I am interested in the dining options and the larger two suites but there are many things that might not be to my liking,one being the amount of guests on board.

If you want extra space & the butler with all the trimmings take the PH

If you can live with a smaller cabin ..it is still livable for some then go with a B cabin.. save the money you spend on a Concierge for other things

We found we did not really use the perks of the concierge cabin enough that we would pay for one

The A & B cabins are the same size just the perks are different

Enjoy whatever you choose

Lyn

+1

Check out the B3 EXTENDED balcony cabins, they can accommodate 2 loungers. Gives you the sense of extra space...you can always buy day passes to the the spa deck. IMO Concierge is not worth the extra.

+1

Check out the B3 EXTENDED balcony cabins, they can accommodate 2 loungers. Gives you the sense of extra space....

We had the extended balcony on Marina back in 2011 when they were still a B4

It is not just a sense of extra space it IS extra space ;)

I want to see how the other folks live.:D

No seriously,I have been looking at Riviera and Marina for a while but always decide against them.

I would like to just tick a box as I have done with almost all lines over the years.

I am interested in the dining options and the larger two suites but there are many things that might not be to my liking,one being the amount of guests on board.

You may not know how true your words are:) If you stay in a Oceania, Vista or Owners suite you can dine in each specialty restaurant two times (so, that takes care of 8 nights). You can also get food from the specialty restaurants delivered by your butler to your room. I cannot comment on the MDR as it only took one meal for me to write it off (truly not fair of me to do so),. I did try Terraces several times -- must be a glutton for punishment. You would have to book Le Reserve at least once so that takes care of another night (unless you decide to book more than one night -- different menu's in Le Reserve).

Being a luxury cruiser myself, there were things about Oceania that I really liked - mainly the ship and the food (the service was always excellent but certainly not as individualized as on smaller ships). If you decide to book a cruise, I would recommend the Riviera (although you may enjoy the older ships). Dining in Le Reserve is a real treat (okay -- that takes care of 9 nights unless you want to try more than one menu in Le Reserve).

Okay - some of this has been tongue in cheek but, IMO, it is far easier for passengers to be wowed by Oceania when coming from Princess, HAL, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, NCL, etc. than it is for those who are used to sailing on Crystal, Regent, Seabourn or Silversea. There was certainly enough of the wow factor for us to book another cruise. However, for us, it was necessary to book a large suite - with included internet and tips -- and, although there is alcohol in the suite, we purchased the alcohol package.

We will be doing a 14 night Caribbean cruise on the Riviera in late November (because there is no where else to go at the time of the year that we are interested in).

Let us know if you book Oceania and which cruise.

Edited by Travelcat2

We like to spend much time with each other and are not so intressreade of socializing with other passengers, so a larger cabin is a strong argument for a PH.

But what about the other benefits, such as a butler? What can be expected of a butler on a cruise?

Are there any other "hidden" benefits of having a suite?

Edited by Winters Gate

I've often said how when we first had a butler we didn't use him at all. Then when I was temporarily disabled we used him all the time (mainly for dining in our suite) and discovered how helpful they can be.

They do a better job getting specialty restaurant reservations than we can. He can shine DH's shoes. He can pack and unpack your luggage if you wish (we choose to do this ourselves but some people like to use these services). When we forgot to bring our bottle of wine to the restaurant one night on our last cruise he brought it to us. And so on ... A number of people that we met hosted cocktail parties in their suite and the butler served drinks and hors d'oeuvres, and even better -- he cleaned up the suite while we were out to dinner.

Be creative! And if you don't think you would want to use him, then that's one reason NOT to book the larger suite. (Of course, you don't have to use him either.)

Mura