Concierge vs Penthouse

Winters Gate

We like to spend much time with each other and are not so intressreade of socializing with other passengers, so a larger cabin is a strong argument for a PH.

But what about the other benefits, such as a butler? What can be expected of a butler on a cruise?

Are there any other "hidden" benefits of having a suite?

Particularly above the Penthouse level of Suite, the extra Specialty Restaurant reservations are probably the biggest and most coveted advantage.

Suite Guests also have open access to the Canyon Ranch Spa Terrace, and it's thermal pool.

If you and your spouse are not social animals, you will probably most value the Butler for the wonderful In Suite Meal Service which they provide.

Aside from the extensive Suite Room Service Menu, guest in a Suite may "order in" from any of the Specialty Restaurants, and have it served course by course in the comfort of their Suite.

Picture it:

The table is set with a snowy white cloth. Silver and Crystal glisten on the immaculately set table.

You are enjoying a glass of Champagne on the Veranda, watching the salt air whisp away the last of a sunset; as the Butler decants a young Pinot that you brought onboard in Spain.

Voilà, the perfect dinner à deux

If the aim of your cruise is "couple time", having a Butler just might be they key to your greatest success!

We like to spend much time with each other and are not so intressreade of socializing with other passengers, so a larger cabin is a strong argument for a PH.

But what about the other benefits, such as a butler? What can be expected of a butler on a cruise?

Are there any other "hidden" benefits of having a suite?

Be aware that you can spend lots of time by yourself out and about on the ship. You don't have to feel like you must socialize with others, or stay in your cabin. We spent a lot of time just being on our own on our Riviera cruise--only socialized when we wished to. And even a PH would feel claustrophobic if I felt I wanted to spend most of my time there--if so, I agree with Stan&Jim that I'd spend the money for one of the big suites.

We toured the regular balcony staterooms and thought they'd be fine, but we didn't really look closely at the closet space. Hearing what I've heard since then, I'd hesitate to book one except on a short, casual cruise like the Caribbean.

Can't say much about the butler. We didn't use ours hardly at all, and he whinged about it, which was quite off-putting.

Butlers on Oceania do seem to want to be utilized more than on the luxury ships. It could be because passengers typically give them tips (even when tipping is included).

TC2,

After reading several threads and posts I do wonder what I might be letting myself in for sailing with Oceania.

There are some really strange questions that are asked,i do not see the same sort of questions being asked on the Luxury line boards.

Any thoughts :confused:

TC2,

After reading several threads and posts I do wonder what I might be letting myself in for sailing with Oceania.

There are some really strange questions that are asked,i do not see the same sort of questions being asked on the Luxury line boards.

Yes -- lots of them but need to put them through a filter in my brain before I post anything. We found that a large percentage of Oceania cruisers are moving up from mainstream or premium cruise lines (note: Oceania is considered upper premium or premium plus). Their experiences are quite different than passengers on the luxury lines. This more or less explains some of the questions being asked.

In many cases, passengers new to Oceania do not have the travel experience as passengers on luxury cruise lines do. We have been traveling internationally for 25+years (only 10 of which have been cruises) and we seem like beginners compared to many people that we have met on Regent and Silversea (I'm sure it is the same on Seabourn and Crystal).

To be clear, I am in no way putting down people with less travel experience than we have. IMO, working your way up from mainstream to luxury is a good way to go. We started international land travel with Club Med back in 1982 and kept graduating to the next level. In many ways that was better than the way we began cruising (starting with luxury). Oceania is the only non-luxury cruise line that we will sail on and, in the future, will only sail in a Oceania or Vista suite (and only on the Riviera or Marina).

So, Mr. Luxury, these are pretty much my thoughts. I believe you could enjoy an Oceania cruise if you stay in a large suite, purchase both the internet and premium alcohol package and keep an open mind.

My last suggestion is to give Regent's Explorer a chance in 2016. She will be more beautiful than the Riviera (very hard to do -- not sure how that will be accomplished), will be luxury, all-inclusive and should be an excellent experience.

Edited by Travelcat2

TC2,

I think that is because Oceania is in the border of luxury lite VS luxury where on Oceania there is a marketing deal that adds small perks to the A class cabins to sell them for more money. As an example some can not get eggs from room service! What they market PH cabins are really just bigger standard cabins so they add a butler and some small perks. Once all leave their cabin it is all the same ship. Great food but crowded at times.

TC2,

Care to share some of the questions that perplex you ?

Edited by LHT28

Not that anyone asked my opinion, but, I do want to offer a bit of protection to Mr. Luxury as he is new to the Oceania board. IMO, if we ("we" meaning passengers that typically sail on luxury cruise lines) post some of our perceptions, they could be taken the wrong way. So, it is a good idea to temper them.

I can say that you generally will not find questions regarding how much alcohol you can bring on board, drink packages, access to "special" areas where only guests in concierge or above suites are permitted, how much to tip, if you can wear shorts to dinner, cabanas, signing for almost anything, etc. on the luxury boards.

Oceania is very different than all-inclusive luxury cruise lines (not saying it is better or worse -- just different). While almost everything about Oceania is better than mainstream cruise lines, only certain things are better when compared to luxury cruise lines. We find the ship (décor and upper suites) and specialty restaurants superior to what we have see on Regent or Silversea. The service has been equal to luxury cruise lines. The rest of the experience needs some getting used to. Still, we look forward to our Riviera cruise in November.

• Like 1

We were booked in an extended balcony cabin for our recent Riviera cruise and took a very last minute PH upgrade offer. We very much enjoyed the PH amenities.

Our friends had a concierge stateroom and were pleased with the amenities. I would not have given up my extended balcony for a Concierge cabin.

Not that anyone asked my opinion, but, I do want to offer a bit of protection to Mr. Luxury as he is new to the Oceania board. IMO, if we ("we" meaning passengers that typically sail on luxury cruise lines) post some of our perceptions, they could be taken the wrong way. So, it is a good idea to temper them.

I can say that you generally will not find questions regarding how much alcohol you can bring on board, drink packages, access to "special" areas where only guests in concierge or above suites are permitted, how much to tip, if you can wear shorts to dinner, cabanas, signing for almost anything, etc. on the luxury boards.

Oceania is very different than all-inclusive luxury cruise lines (not saying it is better or worse -- just different). While almost everything about Oceania is better than mainstream cruise lines, only certain things are better when compared to luxury cruise lines. We find the ship (décor and upper suites) and specialty restaurants superior to what we have see on Regent or Silversea. The service has been equal to luxury cruise lines. The rest of the experience needs some getting used to. Still, we look forward to our Riviera cruise in November.

You are 100% right. Oceania has lots of quirks, if you do not read the fine print you might be very surprised when you reach the ship. I think most of the mass market lines have a less complicated list of who gets what.

TC2,thank you for this.

I did not want to pick holes in certain questions because they are obviously important to those people that posted them.

"Should my husband wear a jacket to dinner" is one that took me by surprise.

I would never consider going to dinner in a restaurant without a jacket unless I was at a friends house having a BBQ.

The taking or smuggling booze on board always makes me laugh.:D

Regarding the drinks package.I have looked at both Oceanias options and gone through the wine lists and have come to the conclusion that for me the best option is just to buy wines from the wine list like I do on Seabourn.

I like my wine and have a good collection at home,so finding wine that I like in a package would be very difficult.

The included wines on Seabourn are not to my taste so it is easy for me to just buy the wines that I like from the list.

I do not drink alcohol during the day,I just drink Evian water and never bother eating lunch on a ship especially after a good breakfast.

Is Evian available on an Oceania ship?

Many thanks

MrLuxury,

I think TC2 has it right here. I've sailed O a few times and enjoyed it because I went with different expectations. In many areas I was amazed at how good it is (Loved the PH, the specialty restaurants, the service.) I also loved the itineraries, the main reason I booked. And because I didn't expect it to be Seabourn I was never disappointed. I don't think you'll be unhappy at all.

MrLuxury,

I think TC2 has it right here. I've sailed O a few times and enjoyed it because I went with different expectations. In many areas I was amazed at how good it is (Loved the PH, the specialty restaurants, the service.) I also loved the itineraries, the main reason I booked. And because I didn't expect it to be Seabourn I was never disappointed. I don't think you'll be unhappy at all.

Thank you Henry.

The thing that I will find difficult is the amount of people,I will also not want to deal with any lines.

As you say the suites look great,I have heard mixed reports on the service in the restaurants.I like clean and slick service which should be unobtrusive.

TC2,thank you for this.

I did not want to pick holes in certain questions because they are obviously important to those people that posted them.

"Should my husband wear a jacket to dinner" is one that took me by surprise.

I would never consider going to dinner in a restaurant without a jacket unless I was at a friends house having a BBQ.

The taking or smuggling booze on board always makes me laugh.:D

Since Oceania as I am sure you have read is more casual than some Luxury lines

A jacket & tie are NEVER required so some men opt out of even packing one

You can certainly wear one or even a TUX if you choose but neither are required

I do remember someone posting they were appalled that men did not wear a suit to dinner on Oceania ..they obviously did not read about the casual dress code before they booked

I have not heard of anyone smuggling booze on board Oceania ;)

There may be lines in some areas but they are short & move quickly

Enjoy

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Since Oceania as I am sure you have read is more casual than some Luxury lines

A jacket & tie are NEVER required so some men opt out of even packing one

You can certainly wear one or even a TUX if you choose but neither are required

I do remember someone posting they were appalled that men did not wear a suit to dinner on Oceania ..they obviously did not read about the casual dress code before they booked

I have not heard of anyone smuggling booze on board Oceania ;)

There may be lines in some areas but they are short & move quickly

Enjoy

Lyn

Thanks Lyn.

I am aware that there is no need to take a jacket on Oceania but as an English Gentleman I would not be seen without one at a dinner table.

I never worry what other people dress like I have my own dress code and standards,i can understand that people are from different parts of the world and have different requirements.

I will avoid the lines,life is too short to stand in line.:D

Edited by Mr Luxury

:D By all means, if you would be uncomfortable NOT wearing a jacket, then you definitely should put it on. You won't be alone. I tend not to worry about what other people do -- unless I find myself seriously UNDER-dressed.

(No, I don't mean I forgot to put on everything I should have ... it's more than I might have been expecting more casual attire on others than I expected.)

Mura

Thanks Lyn.

I am aware that there is no need to take a jacket on Oceania but as an English Gentleman I would not be seen without one at a dinner table.

I understand that

We had a friend from the UK he would wear a dress shirt & jacket /tie even to a sporting event in heat of summer ..because it was just they way he did it ;)

Enjoy

Lyn

Sorry -- do not know if Evian is onboard Oceania as I really do not drink much water (wine with lunch and dinner -- juice for breakfast). Someone should know the answer to that question.

You will certainly not be the only person wearing a jacket or suit to dinner. If you people watch on either Oceania or Regent you will see people dressed impeccably for dinner and others dressed like they are going to a backyard barbeque.

In terms of who you might have a good conversation with, we found the General Manager, Thierry Tholon, very interesting - a lovely man. He was formerly a Head Chef (perhaps he was in a higher position than that?) on The World. That in itself we found interesting. Other than that, we have some enjoyable chit chats with members of the crew. For some reason we did not meet any passengers on board...... not sure why.

Sorry -- do not know if Evian is onboard Oceania as I really do not drink much water (wine with lunch and dinner -- juice for breakfast). Someone should know the answer to that question.

You will certainly not be the only person wearing a jacket or suit to dinner. If you people watch on either Oceania or Regent you will see people dressed impeccably for dinner and others dressed like they are going to a backyard barbeque.

In terms of who you might have a good conversation with, we found the General Manager, Thierry Tholon, very interesting - a lovely man. He was formerly a Head Chef (perhaps he was in a higher position than that?) on The World. That in itself we found interesting. Other than that, we have some enjoyable chit chats with members of the crew. For some reason we did not meet any passengers on board...... not sure why.

I know Thierry Tholon well,

I have a friend who has a four bedroom appartment on The World and I have often been aboard.

Thierry was executive Chef then he became Food and Beverage manager.

I have over 400 days with Silversea and I met Thierry when he worked for them as executive chef

I do not sail with Silversea now that Seabourn is a better fit for me.

I understand that

We had a friend from the UK he would wear a dress shirt & jacket /tie even to a sporting event in heat of summer ..because it was just they way he did it ;)

Enjoy

Lyn

He must have been a good chap.;)

Gentlemen tend not to melt in the UK when the sun comes out and ofcourse you must have a good tailor.

Being in the Military helps:D

He must have been a good chap.;)

Gentlemen tend not to melt in the UK when the sun comes out and ofcourse you must have a good tailor.

Being in the Military helps:D

Very nice bloke indeed

We were teenagers at the time but he still dressed up

They came to Canada in the 50's

I do believe Oceania carries Evian just ask your TA to make a note to special services that is what you would like to have in your cabin ...