Impressed with HAL after being unimpressed

Stuart&John

We recently sailed on the Westerdam and agree with how others have stated cut backs are happening all over the cruise industry and HAL is, unfortunately, no exception. Being three star mariners and just completed our 26th cruise(with HAL as well as Princess, RCCL, Cunard and Celebrity), we are firm believers that there is no better vacation than a cruise.

We found the service on our January 11th cruise to be less than stellar and were frankly disappointed with the service in the dining room. We like HAL because -- although their ships do not offer any of the extras that other cruise lines offer in terms of amenities and activities -- their product is classic cruising with service that always seems a notch above the rest. Unfortunately, this was not the case on this past cruise and we let it be known on our survey that the service was not what we expect or anticipate when we set foot on any HAL ship.

Let me say that they do read the surveys and take customer feedback very seriously. This week we received a letter from the Office of the President letting us know they were sorry for the service problems we encountered and that they were sorry it did not meet our expectations. In all the years of cruising, and on every survey we have done, we have never heard back from any cruise line after our cruise. I cannot begin to tell you how impressed we were with this follow up and it did make us feel that HAL cares about their guests. HAL earned a big star for the follow up!

We recently sailed on the Westerdam and agree with how others have stated cut backs are happening all over the cruise industry and HAL is, unfortunately, no exception. Being three star mariners and just completed our 26th cruise(with HAL as well as Princess, RCCL, Cunard and Celebrity), we are firm believers that there is no better vacation than a cruise.

We found the service on our January 11th cruise to be less than stellar and were frankly disappointed with the service in the dining room. We like HAL because -- although their ships do not offer any of the extras that other cruise lines offer in terms of amenities and activities -- their product is classic cruising with service that always seems a notch above the rest. Unfortunately, this was not the case on this past cruise and we let it be known on our survey that the service was not what we expect or anticipate when we set foot on any HAL ship.

Let me say that they do read the surveys and take customer feedback very seriously. This week we received a letter from the Office of the President letting us know they were sorry for the service problems we encountered and that they were sorry it did not meet our expectations. In all the years of cruising, and on every survey we have done, we have never heard back from any cruise line after our cruise. I cannot begin to tell you how impressed we were with this follow up and it did make us feel that HAL cares about their guests. HAL earned a big star for the follow up!

I hate to burst your bubble, but this is a form letter that they are sending out with increasing frequency. On your next cruise you will get a similar letter in your cabin and possibly a little treat like flowers or chocolate-covered strawberries. However, not to knock HAL - at least they are acknowledging.

We found the service on our January 11th cruise to be less than stellar and were frankly disappointed with the service in the dining room. We like HAL because -- although their ships do not offer any of the extras that other cruise lines offer in terms of amenities and activities -- their product is classic cruising with service that always seems a notch above the rest.

Excuse me, HAL ships offer "extras" that other cruise lines do not offer.

Some cruise line do not offer essentials!

The only line capable to follow HAL list of amenities is Cunard.

Good to know the cruise line take care of clients feedback.

Edited by cruisetrail

No -- I still do not believe that HAL reads surveys.

After our November cruise of 14 days on the Nieuw Amsterdam we each completed our online survey. (I actually got DH to use a computer.)

We had several comments -- and we never heard from Seattle. Just like when we had the surveys on the ship -- I know ours were never read. At the end of a cruise a couple of years ago, we didn't realize that we had not gotten the surveys until we were off the ship.

Excuse me, HAL ships offer "extras" that other cruise lines do not offer.

Some cruise line do not offer essentials!

The only line capable to follow HAL list of amenities is Cunard.

Good to know the cruise line take care of clients feedback.

It would be interesting to know what "essentials" are not offered by "some cruise lines," and who those lines are. Mattresses? Food? After-dinner mints? And I don't believe sending out a form letter is the same as taking care of underlying problems that give rise to negative feedback.

It would be interesting to know what "essentials" are not offered by "some cruise lines," and who those lines are. Mattresses? Food? After-dinner mints? And I don't believe sending out a form letter is the same as taking care of underlying problems that give rise to negative feedback.

I'm with you on this one. I find Princess puts on a fine product and beats Hal to a fine pulp in the service area.

It would be interesting to know what "essentials" are not offered by "some cruise lines," and who those lines are. Mattresses? Food? After-dinner mints?

Easy.

Just a quick look at the newest ships:

No promenade deck on Oceania

No principal lounge on Princess

No open pool deck for adults on Celebrity

No observation deck on MSC

No buffet dinner on Costa

No afternoon tea on RCI

How many of them offer such a luxury as Hydropool & Thermal suite?

Do all of them offer complimentary 24/7 room service?

Good luck finding extras like tubs in standard cabins and fresh flowers in public areas.

And I don't believe sending out a form letter is the same as taking care of underlying problems that give rise to negative feedback.

I did not say it was the same. :)

Who knows what "underlying problems" were and if they existed.

Sending a letter is better than not sending. :)

What is a principal lounge? I really wish you be more clear in your posts. Just because you find these things important it doesn't mean they are the be all and end all. Just wondering which Hal ships you've been on except for the NA and the Eurodam. Being on 2 ships of the fleet for a few days doesn't make a person and expert but of course that's just my opinion.

Principle lounges: Crow's Nest Lounge, Sky Lounge, Viking Crown Lounge, Top Sail Lounge, Commodore Club, Skywalkers Lounge.

Just because you find these things important it doesn't mean they are the be all and end all.

I find these things on the ships.

Just wondering which Hal ships you've been on except for the NA and the Eurodam. Being on 2 ships of the fleet for a few days doesn't make a person and expert but of course that's just my opinion

We don't know what does it and what does not.

Only posts can tell. :)

Edited by cruisetrail

Easy.

Just a quick look at the newest ships:

No promenade deck on Oceania

No principal lounge on Princess

No open pool deck for adults on Celebrity

No observation deck on MSC

No buffet dinner on Costa

No afternoon tea on RCI

How many of them offer such a luxury as Hydropool & Thermal suite?

Do all of them offer complimentary 24/7 room service?

Good luck finding extras like tubs in standard cabins and fresh flowers in public areas.

I did not say it was the same. :)

Who knows what "underlying problems" were and if they existed.

Sending a letter is better than not sending. :)

Tarpeian Rock, we have also received form letters in response to specific complaints. I agree with you, I don't think that is customer service. Actually dealing with the problem is customer service. Sometimes that happens, sometimes it doesn't, so customer service remains a problem.

cruisetrail, as for "essentials", just because you think something is "essential" does not make it so. I've spent more than 100 days on HAL ships (way fewer than many of the posters on this forum), and of all those days I have probably spent less than 3 hours total in the Crows Nest. Haven't been to an afternoon tea in 5 years.

In my experience, true experts are quite reserved and balanced in their public pronouncements.

Edited by CowPrincess

Tarpeian Rock, we have also received form letters in response to specific complaints. I agree with you, I don't think that is customer service. Actually dealing with the problem is customer service. Sometimes that happens, sometimes it doesn't, so customer service remains a problem.

cruisetrail, as for "essentials", just because you think something is "essential" does not make it so. I've spent more than 100 days on HAL ships (way fewer than many of the posters on this forum), and of all those days I have probably spent less than 3 hours total in the Crows Nest. Haven't been to an afternoon tea in 5 years.

In my experience, true experts are quite reserved and balanced in their public pronouncements.

now just WHERE is that LIKE button:) I love the Crow's Nest on the EE but spend little time there on the other ships. So, what is 'essential' to one person is not 'essential' to the other.

I would not dream to deem that my 'essential' things are 'essential' to everyone else. :rolleyes:;)

Any complaints will be met with the routine form letter. If you complain loud enough, you'll get a bottle of wine. Subsequent complaints regarding the same issue are met with Dinner for two at the PG.

My recent letter from HAL concerning issues with our cruise on the Maasdam was not a form letter but addressed each issue in detail. The problem I have with the responses from HAL is that I have a warm and fuzzy feeling that the issues I discussed will never be resolved. As far as I am concerned do not give free dinners to the Pinnacle or a bottle of wine; just FIX THE PROBLEMS !

Any complaints will be met with the routine form letter. If you complain loud enough, you'll get a bottle of wine. Subsequent complaints regarding the same issue are met with Dinner for two at the PG.

We don't even get a form letter.

On the survey there is an area where you can mark -- it says "can we contact you?" -- we both marked "yes" -- got nothing.

Sorry your Westerdam cruise did not meet your expectations. Ours in December was stellar in every way. Our dining room waiters couldn't do enough. Same the year before. Can't wait to sail HAL again.

You friends need to understand that essentials are essential for the ship, not for a particular person on a message board.

What is not essential for you is essential for someone else, therefore its essential for the ship to offer this.

When we compare ships it's never a question what you like.

It's about amenities a ship has to offer.

You friends need to understand that essentials are essential for the ship, not for a particular person on a message board.

What is not essential for you is essential for someone else, therefore its essential for the ship to offer this.

When we compare ships it's never a question what you like.

It's about amenities a ship has to offer.

You NEED to understand that essentials are different for different people. It is not all about amenities. It is about service, MDR, staff, etc.

I will bypass a Tamarind (although I love it and wish it was on every HAL ship) for superior service elsewhere on HAL.

We KNOW you love the Signature ships but they are not the be all to end all and until you sail some of the other ones, you honestly cannot compare nor claim to know what you are talking about.

There is more to a ship than a simple deck plan;)

Based on what you are now using as a definition of "essential", how can you ever come up with a comprehensive or comprehensible list of "essentials"?

You are welcome.

This question resembles another one of this kind: "How could Mr. Payne know so much about the Queen Mary 2 before he actually took a cruise on her?"

Cruise ships are giving you and me (all of us cruisers) all the answers.

Everything is on the surface.

If you are really interested - try and study various ships, various cruise lines and you'll get it.

Enjoy!

I'm with you on this one. I find Princess puts on a fine product and beats Hal to a fine pulp in the service area.

This is the exact reason I have left Princess and returned to HAL...Service can not be beat on HAL, unlike Princess.

I know this is all a matter of opinion, but my opinion is HAL beats Princess to a pulp.........to quote your statement. :)

This is the exact reason I have left Princess and returned to HAL...Service can not be beat on HAL, unlike Princess.

I know this is all a matter of opinion, but my opinion is HAL beats Princess to a pulp.........to quote your statement. :)

You've been very, very lucky then. I do 2 to 4 cruise on Hal a year. They struggle in the MDR every time. I imagine it depends on if you have open or traditional, early or late. I do notice that the few folks that do think the service is good generally are in the late traditional seating. I'm not one that expects a lot and Hal fall short of the mark most of the time.

Almost every cruiser understands that there's a lot more to a ship than public rooms, open decks, cabin size, space ratio, and other facts & figures. Most of us understand that every ship has it's own heart & soul, a spirit as it were, that gives it a character which either pleases, or displeases us as a passenger.

It is likely that this spirit is as important when choosing a cruise as the cold, hard facts about the ship.

HAL has started changing this atmosphere, this spirit, along with changing the factual aspects of the ships, and seems to be oblivious to the impact it is having on passengers.

OP, I am happy that HAL replied to your concerns. Now, I hope that they respond.

Please do not post anything contrary to our guidelines.

In this case, a large number (3 dozen) posts have been removed because they contravened this admonition in the guidelines:

The harassment of our members is not allowed.

Cruise Critic is committed to providing an online environment that is free from these types of harassing postings. Please, don't attack another poster or group of posters. Do not harass, threaten, embarrass, or do anything else to another member that is unwanted. This means: don't say bad things about them... If you disagree with someone, respond to the subject, not the person. Postings of this nature will be removed from the boards.

To the OP, we also contacted HAL by letter after a horrible experience on the Eurodam a few years ago. I took the time to outline each of the areas in which our experience was poor and also outlines areas where HAL did not meet its promises.

I also received a well appreciated letter in response from HAL with a great response, that included an apology, acknowledgement of my specific issues, a promise to improve, as well as generous compensation for a future cruise.

The result was that we booked another cruise on the NA and had a wonderful time, and have even booked an Alaskan cruise for this Spring.

The best time to point out a problem is during the cruise, not afterwards. We were given this advice by a Hotel Manager who shall remain anonymous. We followed that advice on our last HAL cruise.

When the comment cards were distributed on the 3rd day, we noted that the bathroom in the cabin had not been cleaned to our or HAL's standards; wet, dirty washcloths had been left in the bathtub and the trash can there had not been emptied. Later that day, the cabin steward came to the room and apologized for the mess. We had no more problems.

We had ordered a highchair for our 8-month-old grand-daughter. When we arrived at the MDR [early, fixed seating] the first night, there was no high chair. The problem was quickly and easily solved. On the second night, the high chair was in place, but we were missing an adult chair and place setting. These items were also included on the comment card. As a result, our dining room experience for the rest of the week was outstanding, The steward made sure the grand-children's food came out quickly and even did magic tricks for them.

On the fourth day, we received a personalized note delineating our comments as well as a plate of gourmet chocolates.

We had not expected any compensation but we did want the HotMan and his staff to know that the service had not been up to HAL's standards. We did not complain per se, merely commented calmly.