How can fog delay tomorrow be predicted today?

nlktx49

We leave on the Triumph out of Galveston tomorrow, Feb.10, and just got a text from Carnival telling us the ship will be delayed getting into port tomorrow because of fog, so don't come to the port until we hear from them.

How can they be so sure there will be fog in the morning? I see that the Magic wasn't able to get into the Galveston port this morning because of the fog.

Not any different then a weatherman saying there is xxx percent chance of rain on a certain day. I'm sure the cruise line watches weather predictions. They are probably just covering themselves by sending info out that it will be delayed. This way if the ship does get delayed they let everyone know to be prepared that you won't board on time and if it doesn't get delayed then people will be happy to get to board earlier than anticipated.

We leave on the Triumph out of Galveston tomorrow, Feb.10, and just got a text from Carnival telling us the ship will be delayed getting into port tomorrow because of fog, so don't come to the port until we hear from them.

How can they be so sure there will be fog in the morning? I see that the Magic wasn't able to get into the Galveston port this morning because of the fog.

Its all in the forecast. The forecasters are able to predict fog when the temperature and dew point are identical or almost identical which creates your fog. Looks like Galveston is forecasting between a 1/4 and 1/2 mile tomorrow morning. Enjoy your vacation!

or they may think the Magic will not get back out tonight and since the Triumph can't come in if the Magic is still docked..............that is if the Magic even get's in today if she doesn't she has priority over the Triumph and RCI will be at terminal 2.

http://www.weatherquestions.com/What_causes_fog.htm

The weather service issued a dense fog advisory for Galveston for until noon tomorrow. I would imagine Carnival is taking heed of this.

We live 30 minutes north of Galveston. It is already foggy here tonight. It won't lift until the sun burns it off tomorrow. So, they're not even "predicting" anything at this point. All they need to do is look out the window! Sorry your boarding will be delayed :(. We board the Magic next Sunday, and I'm hoping we'll be free of fog!

That why they get big bucks$$$$$$$$$$.

We live 60 miles inland and the fog tonight is much worse than it was last night.

I noticed they said on the website that they may have to adjust the itinerary. That makes me think they won't sail tonight. We had a fog delay on the Magic in Jan. 2012 and finally sailed at 3:45am. We were only an hour late into our first port and they just extended our day there for an hour to make up for it.

Hopefully, they will get a break in the fog and get the Magic out tonight. The Triumph looks like it is getting fairly close to the anchorage and moving at 19.9 knots.

Edited by DebJ14

Magic and Navigator of the Seas are still in port. Port is closed. Dense fog warning until 9am. Those ships cannot leave until the port is opened by the coast guard. Triumph cannot come into port until One of the terminals is open. Once Triumph arrives, it will be about 4 hours before they start re-boarding. Best case scenario is for Magic to leave at 9am and Triumph to arrive about 10:30am and start boarding around 2:30 pm. I was delayed 36 hours in Galveston in February a few years ago. If Magic is not departed by 2:00 pm, you really should reserve a hotel room. The rooms in Galveston sell out very fast when the fog delays travelers. The rooms in Webster, Texas are cheaper and only 10 miles away. I wish you the best, but this fog looks thick. Just make sure to get the Triumph back for us for our 2/15 departure.

Would someone please explain to me why fog will delay ships in Galveston but when the fog is real heavy on the Mississippi River the cruise ships make it 80 miles up the narrow, twisty river right on time?

Because in Galveston, there is a port authority that closes if they feel it isn't safe. There isn't one in NOLA. The Mississippi stays open all of the time unless there is a major disaster.

Because in Galveston, there is a port authority that closes if they feel it isn't safe. There isn't one in NOLA. The Mississippi stays open all of the time unless there is a major disaster.

Watching the Pier 23 webcam and the Navigator is leaving Galvestion, but the Magic will be close behind it.

Would someone please explain to me why fog will delay ships in Galveston but when the fog is real heavy on the Mississippi River the cruise ships make it 80 miles up the narrow, twisty river right on time?

When we got back into NOLA on the 25th, the fog was super thick. My DH looked over at me, and said, we are stopped, and I asked if we were at the pier, and he said no. But we were, we just couldnt see more than 10 feet in front of ourselves. Since the ship had to turn itself around to dock, that was some pretty good steering by the crew.

It seems to me that the ports that are in states that are cold during the winter months have more issues with fog then the ports in the warmer climates, so I think if your departure port is in a cold climate you are taking a chance. IMO I would rather leave from a port in a warmer climate to avoid any problems which can screw up a vacation. What do you think?

Gary

Edited by Shipbound

It seems to me that the ports that are in states that are cold during the winter months have more issues with fog then the ports in the warmer climates, so I think if your departure port is in a cold climate you are taking a chance. IMO I would rather leave from a port in a warmer climate to avoid any problems which can screw up a vacation. What do you think?

Gary

This seems like good advice to me, Gary. Unless you don't mind spending an extra night in your port of embarkation.

I'm sure the drilling rigs and all of the private boats sailing out of Galveston come into play as well. The USCG likes to keep an eye on cruise ships coming into busy ports for security reasons.

I'm sure the drilling rigs and all of the private boats sailing out of Galveston come into play as well. The USCG likes to keep an eye on cruise ships coming into busy ports for security reasons.

It still doesn't make sense that they close the Galveston port but not the New Orleans port. The Mississippi River has more ship traffic than Galveston and has a narrower and longer waterway but the ships navigate fine in fog or total darkness with their radar.

I've lived right by the Mississippi River for well over a half century and have never heard of a ship wreck during the fog.

Science?