New Chops Menu coming

Adam mentioned in his most recent blog that the new restaurants on the navigator are a preview of what will come to Quantum.

He specifically mentioned Sabor as well as the newly enhanced Chops that has a new menu.

I wonder if we will see the new chops menu on the rest of the ships in the near future.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/connect/blog/

Edit. It was a guest column by Lisa Lutoff-Perlo and not Adam

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Adam mentioned in his most recent blog that the new restaurants on the navigator are a preview of what will come to Quantum.

He specifically mentioned Sabor as well as the newly enhanced Chops that has a new menu.

I wonder if we will see the new chops menu on the rest of the ships in the near future.

Never know what "enhanced" and "new menu" can mean - hopefully new additions - because IMO Cops has one of the best steaks going now!

Would like to try Sabor as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Found some info and pictures of the "new" Chops menu. Not sure I like the changes. No regular porterhouse...but you can get a "dry aged" version for an additional $19. Sides are definitely changed.....no more parmesan potatoes but you can now get tater tots!

We're on Legend in April and have Chops booked for our anniversary. Sure hope they don't have the new menu yet.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/category/category/chops-grille

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

I hope not, love it as is.

Whhhhaaaattttt? No more parmesan potatoes??? That is a crime. I love those. It is the highlight of my Chops experience.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm kind of disappointed in the new menu. Those parmesan potatoes were the best. Now there's also only one size filet and only one sauce for it, and no huge baked potato. It figures - we had an underwhelming Chops experience on Liberty in 2008 and hadn't been back since, and finally tried it again last month on Allure and loved it. So, of course, now it's changing. :p The lack of parmesan potatoes and the red wine sauce for the filet will probably be enough to keep me away. I love tater tots, but I won't be spending $70 to eat them onboard! :D

My initial impression is this: If you are going to add to the name "The New American Steakhouse" you should have more just a filet and a sirloin as the included choices. That's weak.

I'm okay with a further upcharge for premium aged beef, but the reduction in regular choices, not so much.

Cheesy Tater Tots, Shoestring French Fries? The only place to get good thick steak fries is in the MDR on the everyday menu (the sliders come with good old fashioned steak fries!). No baked potato? No steamed vegetable options? I don't know what to make of it. I would think for something aiming for upscale and with a bit of new flair we'd see sweet potato chips or wedges, more grilled / healthier side items, etc. Not impressed. I like a good filling meal, but too many sauces, too much fried stuff. Creamed Spinach; you'll have to roll me out the door.

I'll be in Chops in a handful of days. If I receive service like the last time I will be quite impressed and pleased with the evening. I wonder if it will be old or new menu. I will miss the mushroom soup. I will not miss the old frozen Sysco quality onion rings. I will miss the crabcake, but do look forward to the peppered bacon.

Crazy question I just thought of; has anyone had success getting the MDR Steak Fries at Chops? Are they available on request?

I was not at all impressed with the new Tater Tots. The descriptions says they have gruyere cheese, but to me they were big chunks of flavorless mashed potatoes dipped in panko crust and dropped in the fryer. I will not order them again. There is a nice filet on the menu with no additional charge. I don't remember the other steaks. We all had the filet.

I always get a filet steak if a restaurant serves them and Chops have world class steaks.

Wow... Chops steaks are often pretty good, but IMHO they're not even in the same ballpark as "world class" unless maybe you're talking about the new further-upcharged dry-aged prime steaks. I'd class the regular steaks as "good chain steakhouse quality" in general.

. I'd class the regular steaks as "good chain steakhouse quality" in general.

What you just said! The steak I had at Chops was decent. About the quality of a Texas Roadhouse etc. Nowhere near "world class" though.

Edited by ryano

What you just said! The steak I had at Chops was decent. About the quality of a Texas Roadhouse etc. Nowhere near "world class" though.

Texas Roadhouse was exactly what I was thinking, given that there's one less than 2 miles from our home that we patronize on occasion! :)

Texas Roadhouse was exactly what I was thinking, given that there's one less than 2 miles from our home that we patronize on occasion! :)

I frequent Longhorn, Outback, Logans and Texas roadhouse on occasion myself and to me, Texas roadhouse is the best of those.

I am totally ok with Choice cuts of beef! Just cook it like I order it and Im a happy man!

"World class" steaks are what you would find at a Capital Grille etc.

From reading all the various posts here, here's my summary of the "new Chops menu" given that I haven't been yet.

Many items have gone missing - no bone in ribeye, no porterhouse, only 8 oz filet vs. 7 & 10 oz previously, no baked potato :eek:, no parmesan potatoes, no cheesecake...

At the same time, the charge has gone from $30 to $35, with additional upcharged items from $18 - $25.

Unfortunately, sounds like "the new Chops" is essentially now a place with significantly less menu choice, for more money. :(

I think it's gone; that's what I wanted to get but I don't see it on the new menu! I am very sad. That is my favorite steak

Oh yes, the bone in ribeye is definitely gone and has been for a couple years. :( Right after they took it off the menu a few here reported still being able to get it but I doubt thats the case now.

I dont know why RCI just assumes everyone is a big filet fan. I do not like the filet myself. Not enough marbling for my liking. Ribeye is by far my favorite cut.

Edited by ryano

From reading all the various posts here, here's my summary of the "new Chops menu" given that I haven't been yet.

Many items have gone missing - no bone in ribeye, no porterhouse, only 8 oz filet vs. 7 & 10 oz previously, no baked potato :eek:, no parmesan potatoes, no cheesecake...

At the same time, the charge has gone from $30 to $35, with additional upcharged items from $18 - $25.

Unfortunately, sounds like "the new Chops" is essentially now a place with significantly less menu choice, for more money. :(

Agreed again!

I frequent Longhorn, Outback, Logans and Texas roadhouse on occasion myself and to me, Texas roadhouse is the best of those.

I am totally ok with Choice cuts of beef! Just cook it like I order it and Im a happy man!

"World class" steaks are what you would find at a Capital Grille etc.

Believe it or not, despite the name there are no Longhorn Steakhouses in the Dallas area. :) Don't have Logan's either, but agree that Texas Roadhouse is better than Outback, as well as the other chains we have around here. Saltgrass is a close second, for a chain place around here.

We have several places serving "world class" steaks, at "world class" prices of course! I'm like you, give me a GOOD choice steak, cook it right and I'm happy. We tend to do more steaks at home on the grille than at steakhouses. Steak just seems to me to be too easy to do, I'd rather go to an upscale restaurant for things I can't or wouldn't make at home.

This is my take also. I'm seriously considering using my specialty dining TA vouchers at Giovanni's for my upcoming cruise.

Edited by comxkid

NOOOOO!!!! SAY IT AINT SO!!! Looks like they removed the Mushroom Souffle. :(

That was by far the best dish they served. Of all the meaty goodness that was served at Chops, My wife and I dreamed about their souffle.

Im such a sad panda right now.

Edited by ikirumata