which cruise to visit key west is best?

tango55

Hi there. We'll be flying to Florida later this year and were going to rent a car and drive to Key West. I see there is a 4 nite cruise on the majesty of the seas that goes there and the price is quite reasonable. There is also a 5 nite on Celebrity.

Is it worth it to take a cruise to go there or would it be better to drive? Also is the 4 nite cruise just a party cruise or will we actually be able to enjoy it?

We're a couple in our late 50's who have done 14 previous cruises, just nothing short like these.

Thanks in advance,

Terry

Key West is one of my favorite places (ergo my CC username:)) and I'm happy with any time I get to spend there. That said, the cruise ships typically make that a very short port day, sometimes leaving as early as mid-afternoon. Some sailings stay until late afternoon/early evening. Key West comes alive starting in the early evening, with Celebrating Sunset on the waterfront of Mallory Square. It's an event every single day. So the vibe is very different when you are there for a few hours as a port stop, versus staying there for a few days. If you have the option to cruise out of either Miami or Ft. Lauderdale, you can rent a car and drive the Keys (should be on everyone's bucket list!) and extend your cruise vacation that way. I promise, you won't regret it:):cool:

Hi there. We'll be flying to Florida later this year and were going to rent a car and drive to Key West. I see there is a 4 nite cruise on the majesty of the seas that goes there and the price is quite reasonable. There is also a 5 nite on Celebrity.

Is it worth it to take a cruise to go there or would it be better to drive? Also is the 4 nite cruise just a party cruise or will we actually be able to enjoy it?

We're a couple in our late 50's who have done 14 previous cruises, just nothing short like these.

Thanks in advance,

Terry

If you truly want to immerse yourself in Key West, drive and spend a couple of nights. As mentioned, the cruise ships tend to have a very short day there and that is not enough time to enjoy the island fully.

Lastly, the 4 night cruises tend to attract a younger and more rowdy crowd if that is a concern for you.

How much time would you be able to spend in Key West if you drove? Would you planning to stay in Key West or another area of the keys? If so I might consider staying somewhere in the Keys and touring a bit. Not just Key West, but other great areas like Bahia Honda state park, maybe a night in Key Largo (QUIET! Relaxing). Many good eateries, road side stands, nature walks, etc. along the road.

If you were going to rent a car just to go to KW for a day I'd take the cruise. Just depends what you are looking to do?

Given the option, i'd rather drive there and spend a few days.

I love cruising, but I dont think 6 hrs in Key West is enough for me. If given the choice, Id drive too and spend the time there.

Having spent part of a day there on Jewel I agree with driving there. We left the ship as soon as we could, stopped for lunch before walking around to see some of the sight and barely got back in time.