Navigator Rehab Shakedown Review

BecciBoo

Yes, but the chips and Guacamole made tableside is complimentary. The guac was sooo good I might have been happy with a bowl just for myself!

At Izumi's miso soup and edimame is complimentary, but you have to shell the peas from the shells...didn't much fancy that.

Yes, but the chips and Guacamole made tableside is complimentary. The guac was sooo good I might have been happy with a bowl just for myself!

At Izumi's miso soup and edimame is complimentary, but you have to shell the peas from the shells...didn't much fancy that.

Sabor sounds great, i wish we would have gone there now. We did Chops and Izumi. LOL at the Peas, i ate half of one with the husk then figured.. nope just the peas. Our waiter suggested just sucking them out, i guess the point of the rock salt on the outer shell. But i broke mine apart too with my hands and just used the warm cloth to wash.

Sorry they are so small but I think Patti or somebody has already posted the menu somewhere.

Anyways...we were seated and our waiter took our drink order and we waited...and waited...and waited, now DH was getting steamed and started to time it...we waited 35 minutes and had to question the waiter as to why our pitcher of Red Sangria hadn't arrived...the Nlaws had 2 of the margaritas, one of which they had added acai berry and something else to, which they did not like...you don't mess with traditional margaritas and they put tequila in our Red Sangria so the yummy flavor of the red wine, brandy and fruit that makes a great Sangria was ruined....and no salsa in sight....strike 1!

In trying to be trendy and hip in the realm of high class upscale cuisine the chefs for Sabor have dropped the ball IMO. None of us were happy there with 3 exceptions, the quacamole was excellent and my FIL loved his red snapper. But to this born and bred Texican, this was no TexMex food. That has been discussed before on these boards. I didn't really expect it to be San Antonio style TexMex and was ready for the upscale treatment, but they were not too sharp about their approach.

They have starters which are all right, then a section for tacos which they toute as home made hand rolled and if they had been anything less than artic ice cold when brought to our table I may have liked the taste of mine. And a Platas section for more main dishes.

For Starters we tried the Chili Calamari which we all liked along with the chicken stuffed jalapeno bites The "Carne Asada" tacos do not resemble our Carne Guisada, it was just pieces of beef dry with not much in the way of sauce....here in Texas it is served, firstly hot, secondly quite saucy so it didn't fly.

My Pulled pork tacos were alright, made with flour tortillas and they were good tasting, but also cold and here they roll soft flour tortilla tacos, they tried to stand them up in a metal taco shaper:confused:

MIL had Barbaqoa tacos....here in Texas the word Barbacoa means "cheek meet" and is made from the head of the cow. Sorry to evoke that image here, but they are deliciously moist and yummy. these were made with rib meat??????? MIL did not like at all.

If they ever get the service issues resolved and the temperature of the food right (Mexican has to be served hot) then Texans will do Sabors even though its tastes are quite different than what they are used to.

Our waiter brought us a sampler dessert tray and everything on it was lapped up with great relish...this they got perfect! Chocolate dipping sauce with Churos, some kind of coconut flan, another pudding like concoction and some other I don't recall, but it was scrumptious. BUT, you really need the other food to be right.

I don't think Texans would pay the cover for this meal and the prices on the drinks if it isn't at least palatable even though not resembling what they are used to getting here for way under those prices and indescribably delicious too.

I thought Rita's had it's hits and misses but I liked their chicken soup and quesadillas...this stuff not so much. Wish the chefs they hired were more authentic and that the service had been timely, we spent nearly 2 hours there and it was due to the lag times and that 35 minute wait for our drinks.

Off to get groceries now, will return in the PM with more pics.

Have to agree! We dined here to check it out and not very impressed. Our waiter however was great. Hard to compete with us Texans and our TexMex.

Thanks for doing the review

But maybe a few things food wise you folks up Dallas way don't know

Carne Asada is usually skirt steak, has a mild marinade and grilled

where Carne Guisada is like stew meet with tomatoes and slow cooked

Also with edamame just suck the pod and swallow the peas;)

Other than that enjoying the rest:D

Becci, thanks for all the info. Between Voyager, Mariner and Navigator, NV was our least fave so we were happy that it was getting an upgrade since we like Galveston departures. I too have been curious about Sabor since we Texans can be hard to please with so many great choices at home. Although it appears NV will only be here 1 year so it is more of a long term commitment for them than thought.

We here in AZ are also curious about Sabor since we too have awesome mexican food! Guess we'll find out on our Feb 23rd cruise.

We here in AZ are also curious about Sabor since we too have awesome mexican food! Guess we'll find out on our Feb 23rd cruise.

Its good but its nothing like ours! My Aunt and all her family live in Tucson, Phoenix and for many years Yuma, yeah!

She taught my Mom how to make chili rellenos and we make them that way to this day. She also gave the recipe for enchilada sauce from scratch that I still do all the time. So Arizonans do know how to make great Mex. By the way, the secret is Old El Paso taco sauce added at the last..LOL really. I make my enchiladas the lazy way, stack em like pancakes...don't have time to roll em.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the review. We sail her in June. As far a the Mexican food is concerned I think that we will pass. I live in New Mexico and have VERY high standards for Mexican food but I do like TexMex so I might change my mind.

We have our share of authentic Mexican restaurants up here in Rhode Island but I'm not sure the difference between TexMex, Mexican, and the Modern Mexican of Sabor. Can anyone elaborate?

See, they're just not going to please everyone with "Mexican food" because we all have our preconceived notions of what it should be like. Even if you said "Mexican food from Mexico" you'd have all these different types. Then you throw in those from TX, NM, AZ, CA and our "variations" add that many more variations. Not saying they shouldn't have those types of food, just that I know when I read reviews or go to a new restaurant anywhere, I can't go in with too much of a preconceived notion that it will be exactly the way I like it (or picture it).

It's kind of like barbecue... that opens up a huge discussion over what's "REAL BBQ". ;)

Thanks for the review. We sail her in June. As far a the Mexican food is concerned I think that we will pass. I live in New Mexico and have VERY high standards for Mexican food but I do like TexMex so I might change my mind.

I think you should go but not expecting Mexican food AT ALL. Just try to enjoy it as if you are in a new country or something, then there would be nothing to compare to it negatively. But don't be afraid to send it back if it comes cold. You won't find any red or green chili sauce on anything:( If I had to compare it, maybe California type Mexican. I have had that and it's more like that than any other Mexican I've had.

Edited by BecciBoo

Do you recall how the Navigator docked in Cozumel? Did it enter the pier forward or did it go in backwards? Makes a difference in booking a room on starboard or port (creates a view to Cozumel or another cruise ship 20 feet away!). Thanks.

Cpt. Claus must not be a woman. :D

Sorry, ladies.

When my dad was teaching me how to drive a standard transmission vehicle, he commented that I drove better in reverse than going forward.

Not sure what that says about anything ;) Although, he does say that my mother taught me how to drive. **curtsy**

I think you should go but not expecting Mexican food AT ALL. Just try to enjoy it as if you are in a new country or something, then there would be nothing to compare to it negatively. But don't be afraid to send it back if it comes cold. You won't find any red or green chili sauce on anything:( If I had to compare it, maybe California type Mexican. I have had that and it's more like that than any other Mexican I've had.

Thank you for the suggestion. Your comment about red & green chili tells me that you understand. The Mexican food that I experience in most places farther away from the source (Mexico) tend to be rather bland and uninteresting. For me New Mexico and TexMex are the best.