New to Holland America

RAFWriter

Hi everyone. We are experienced cruisers, having sailed many times on Royal Caribbean, Princess, Norwegian and Disney. I'm looking into taking a cruise on the Eurodam with my 19-year-old daughter. We have never sailed on HAL before. In the past, my daughter has loved all the activities offered by the ships that appeal more to families (rock climbing, etc.). I understand that HAL appeals to an older, more sedate crowd, but I'm wondering if there are activities that would appeal to her when we are on the ship for the two sea days. She is very artistic and loves to partake in art or dance classes, etc.

I'm not interested in going back on Royal because I am looking for a quieter, more sedate cruise experience. Just want her to have a good time too!

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Hi everyone. We are experienced cruisers, having sailed many times on Royal Caribbean, Princess, Norwegian and Disney. I'm looking into taking a cruise on the Eurodam with my 19-year-old daughter. We have never sailed on HAL before. In the past, my daughter has loved all the activities offered by the ships that appeal more to families (rock climbing, etc.). I understand that HAL appeals to an older, more sedate crowd, but I'm wondering if there are activities that would appeal to her when we are on the ship for the two sea days. She is very artistic and loves to partake in art or dance classes, etc.

I'm not interested in going back on Royal because I am looking for a quieter, more sedate cruise experience. Just want her to have a good time too!

I'd have to say the "older, more sedate crowd" might be an overstatement but then again HAL isn't known for it's high energy "fun and games" either. Art or dance classes might be a reach and there are certainly no climbing walls, ice skating rinks, etc. I can't say they're available on every cruise or even many cruises but that probably depends on the cruise director, their staff, and their impression of the needs and wants on a particular cruise. Unfortunately our experience has been, and I think it's due to reduced staff, that there are fewer passenger events than six or seven years ago.

Where are you planning to go and for how long? That will make a difference in the age of the other passengers. The longer the cruise, the older the other pax tend to be. Not always true but usually. If you plan to cruise over a school holiday, that will also make a difference as more families travel together over holidays.

Sorry I have to say...your 19 year old will be out of place to some degree, but there are entertainers and younger people about, not sure what mingling is allowed or acceptable on H.A.L. Depending on your daughter's temperament... there is often lots to be gained from being in the company of "older"folk, so good luck. There are the Culinary Centres and Movies and the like... Night life and the party scene...not so much..if at all.. you will certainly like the dignified ways of H.A.L. We avoid the climbing walls and Malls of mega ships and always will.. !!

Every current HAL cruises features a "Dancing With The Stars" competition. It starts with dance classes and orientations and culminates in a final show by the best participants late in the cruise. Is this something that would interest her?

Roy

You will probably love the slow nature of a HAL cruise but your daughter will probably not.

My wife and I are in our late 50's and when we cruise with HAL we feel like like we are the kids on board. The average age of passengers on the 4 HAL cruises we have taken would be well above 70 but there are always a few around our age.

I find sea days on HAL very hard to take but their itineraries are very good and if you choose carefully you can usually find a cruise with very few sea days.

If you are a non smoker be sure to avoid the balcony cabins, we have paid thousands extra only to be unable to use our balcony due to inconsiderate smokers next door.

HAL has cut back on the number off activities that are offered.

There are no art classes.

But there are dance classes (free), cooking classes ($29 per person -- limited to 12 people), movies to watch (either in the Screening Room or you can get free DVD's to watch in your cabin), there digital workshops.

"I understand that HAL appeals to an older, more sedate crowd" - this a big misconception.

:)

HAL ships are very different.

The Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam are the newest, most sophisticated and comfortable ships. They are sharp contrast with the rest of the fleet.

The Eurodam appeals to self-sufficient people that like classy sea travel - all ages are welcome.

This product is a different class in comparison with RCI.

We usually have no time for so-called activities as we mostly focus on enjoyng the ship, the sea and the sun as well as fine dining, first class Hydropool & Thermal Suite (a must!) and sports facilities.

The ship is a floating museum of art and maritime history. So just exploring the ship may take at least one full day.

This is a detailed review of the newest HAL ships. I am still working on it. The amount of time I invested in this work is only a measure of excellence of the product these ships deliver.

This video will take you on a virtual cruise on the Eurodam.

I have not reached the "daily program" part of my review.

So FYI a sample program for a sea day:

zspct5.jpg

19 is a particularly awkward age on Holland America; too old for the kid's club and too young for the bars. There should be a few single's activities. Free tai chi should be offered twice per day. At that age my son had to pretty much find his own entertainment.