Your First Formal

RedHeadTexan

Let's have a little fun...

I know for me, my first formal was long before I started cruising. So, what was your first formal? Was it your high school prom, a formal wedding, a social event, or was it on your cruise? Let's share our first formal event and if you have a picture, then let's post that too.

Here is mine:

Senior Prom in May 1990 - pictured with me was my best friend and date for the night, Matt. Matt and I were just friends and decided to do a cheesy/romantic pose. I did have the rose in my mouth, but the photographer and the supervising chaperone veto'd that idea. I was a complete tom boy, so I just wore one of my older sister's gowns. I got into dresses and shopping much later. Oh, and my fingerless gloves were all the rage back in the day. :rolleyes:

Scan_zps9235b067.jpeg

Lisa

My 8th grade dance....my neighbor made my gown....it was baby pink with daisys down the front seams.....This, of course, was LONG before young girls dressed like streetwalkers....at 13, you were expected to look like a young girl! And, I did, because I was a young girl! Skinny as a rail with no curves at all.... I was SO nervous....wasn't sure I knew how to dance properly with a boy (who was cute as a button!)...ended up being just fine!

Edited by cb at sea

My 8th grade dance....my neighbor made my gown....it was baby pink with daisys down the front seams.....This, of course, was LONG before young girls dressed like streetwalkers....at 13, you were expected to look like a young girl! And, I did, because I was a young girl! Skinny as a rail with no curves at all.... I was SO nervous....wasn't sure I knew how to dance properly with a boy (who was cute as a button!)...ended up being just fine!

That sounds very pretty. My mother would never have let me out of the house in some of the outfits that teen girls wear today. :eek:

Lisa

I was part of a Junior High School cotillion program. It was to encourage proper ettiquette and dance in a good environment. At the end of 9th grade they had a formal dance, the others up to that point had been more Sunday best.

My dress was a strapless, aqua, chiffon, with ruffles, I think. It has been more than 50 years, and I if there is a picture I don't know where it is.:)

My first formal was for the Queen Maysea Coronation in Cape May, NJ (where I grew up). Both my sisters & I were in the court. I'm standing in the back row 2nd. in from the end on the Right side.

My youngest sister is the cute little blond right in front of me, also 2nd. in on Right. My other sister is on the other side, front row next to the young boy. Both my sisters had the same gown, but I had my first "strapless gown", even tho I was in the 6th. or 7th. grade (can't remember! It was in the 50's!!:eek: )

Enjoy!

QueenMacie1_zpsb2239c42.jpg

My first formal was for the Queen Maysea Coronation in Cape May, NJ (where I grew up). Both my sisters & I were in the court. I'm standing in the back row 2nd. in from the end on the Right side.

My youngest sister is the cute little blond right in front of me, also 2nd. in on Right. My other sister is on the other side, front row next to the young boy. Both my sisters had the same gown, but I had my first "strapless gown", even tho I was in the 6th. or 7th. grade (can't remember! It was in the 50's!!:eek: )

Enjoy!

QueenMacie1_zpsb2239c42.jpg

You both look so sweet! I just love the 50's styles. They are always classic and lovely. Thanks for sharing!

Lisa

Let's have a little fun...

I know for me, my first formal was long before I started cruising. So, what was your first formal? Was it your high school prom, a formal wedding, a social event, or was it on your cruise? Let's share our first formal event and if you have a picture, then let's post that too.

Here is mine:

Senior Prom in May 1990 - pictured with me was my best friend and date for the night, Matt. Matt and I were just friends and decided to do a cheesy/romantic pose. I did have the rose in my mouth, but the photographer and the supervising chaperone veto'd that idea. I was a complete tom boy, so I just wore one of my older sister's gowns. I got into dresses and shopping much later. Oh, and my fingerless gloves were all the rage back in the day. :rolleyes:

Lisa

I love the way you match!

My first "formal" dress was the one I wore at age 7 for a local Jr. Miss competition. It wasn't floor-length, but something that a little girl would wear for formal night on a cruise. Part of the prize I won was to have a big photo portrait done at the local professional's studio. I still have the portrait - 24x36 inches big in a garish gold frame - of me wearing that dress:eek:

The first floor-length formal was the dress my grandma made for me to wear to my Junior Prom. Gingham was big that year in the stores for dresses. Couldn't afford to buy a prom dress, so Gramma made one using parts from two different patterns I liked, with a small powder blue & white check on the sleeves and top and large check on the bottom. The two were separated by a piece of white lace with powder blue velvet in the middle of it. The next year I committed high school fashion suicide by wearing the same dress to the Senior Prom. BUT, I changed out the lace for a different size and pattern, so it was technically different...