Allure [Drydock] info

cruise1814

There has been a lot of discussion regarding Allure azipod repair in Freeport. Whether the ship itself would go into a dry-dock or the stern of the ship being lifted out of the water. Just to set the record straight here's what is known .First, Freeport does not has a dry-dock capable of handling Allure even with her rescue vessels lowered look at Freeport shipyard own site http://grandbahamashipyard.com/facilities/drydocks/ Second, if Freeport was able to handle Allure, Rccl would not sail the Oasis on two transatlantic crossings 1 1/2 months apart!! From what I heard from higher up crew on Allure, she will sail in to a wet-slip that is currently being dredged to fit a metal sponson under her hull to create a dry environment around her center pod. This is only needed so the repair can be completed in a shorter time frame.

There has been a lot of discussion regarding Allure azipod repair in Freeport. Whether the ship itself would go into a dry-dock or the stern of the ship being lifted out of the water. Just to set the record straight here's what is known .First, Freeport does not has a dry-dock capable of handling Allure even with her rescue vessels lowered look at Freeport shipyard own site http://grandbahamashipyard.com/facilities/drydocks/ Second, if Freeport was able to handle Allure, Rccl would not sail the Oasis on two transatlantic crossings 1 1/2 months apart!! From what I heard from higher up crew on Allure, she will sail in to a wet-slip that is currently being dredged to fit a metal sponson under her hull to create a dry environment around her center pod. This is only needed so the repair can be completed in a shorter time frame.

I would agree with the wetslip / sponson information you provide as accurate as I think it would be impossible - and structurally quite dangerous - to "lift" just the stern out of the water. :rolleyes:

Edited by leaveitallbehind

There was actually "a lot of discussion" that they might do this? Were they speculating they were just going to get a giant car jack and pop that sucker up?:confused:

I read what the "experts" said. They were sure adamant about how the repair would happen. I, not being an expert, thought it was illogical to lift the ship to any significant degree. It certainly sounded as if they truly believed they would just bend the ship a little and fix the problem. I thought they were a bit off since it was known the ship did not need to be out of the water to repair. Of course it would require more specific equipment and trained personnel to repair underwater.

I read what the "experts" said. They were sure adamant about how the repair would happen. I, not being an expert, thought it was illogical to lift the ship to any significant degree. It certainly sounded as if they truly believed they would just bend the ship a little and fix the problem. I thought they were a bit off since it was known the ship did not need to be out of the water to repair. Of course it would require more specific equipment and trained personnel to repair underwater.

What "experts" are you referring to? There has been a lot of speculation in this forum. One has gone as far to say he knows it will be going into drydock. The drydock is not large enough, it is not going in the drydock no matter what some say. They are dredging the wetdock and building a sponson. Someone who actually has worked in a shipyard did speak of how they can work the ballast so one end of the ship will be "lifted". It will be interesting to see the whole process.

What "experts" are you referring to? There has been a lot of speculation in this forum. One has gone as far to say he knows it will be going into drydock. The drydock is not large enough, it is not going in the drydock no matter what some say. They are dredging the wetdock and building a sponson. Someone who actually has worked in a shipyard did speak of how they can work the ballast so one end of the ship will be "lifted". It will be interesting to see the whole process.

I was being sarcastic. One guy said he had 30 years experience in maritime engineering. Of course, you can claim you are anything. I never said anything because until recently I did not know what was actually going to happen. I just was amazed how people actually believed the story. As I said, it just seemed illogical to do it the way some people said it would.

OK, so I'm at work yesterday, I'm an optician. A gentleman came in my office for contact lenses and I noticed that his address was in Freeport. I asked him about what he did in Freeport and he told me he was a marine engineer at a shipyard.

I asked him if he new about the Allure coming to Freeport for repairs and he told me that not only was she coming to his yard, but it was his project.

What he told me was that they would "tilt" the ships stern up by tilting the floating drydock. He never mentioned sponsons but he did say that they were going to build a structure around the area being worked on that could be kept dry.

They will be replacing two of the three azipods for bad bearings. I told him I was on the first cruise scheduled after the repair and as he was leaving he told me not to worry about it, that "my boat was in good hands".

OK, so I'm at work yesterday, I'm an optician. A gentleman came in my office for contact lenses and I noticed that his address was in Freeport. I asked him about what he did in Freeport and he told me he was a marine engineer at a shipyard.

I asked him if he new about the Allure coming to Freeport for repairs and he told me that not only was she coming to his yard, but it was his project.

What he told me was that they would "tilt" the ships stern up by tilting the floating drydock. He never mentioned sponsons but he did say that they were going to build a structure around the area being worked on that could be kept dry.

They will be replacing two of the three azipods for bad bearings. I told him I was on the first cruise scheduled after the repair and as he was leaving he told me not to worry about it, that "my boat was in good hands".

I would love to know how they would achieve this as you can tell by the link I provided to the shipyard itself they do not have a drydock capable of fitting Allure please note width!. Length is not as much of a factor as the freedom class extends over the largest drydock in Freeport they just put barges to over come this. So another [Expert] has spoken in addition to calling the Allure a boat no one with experience in maritime matters would call a 225,000 ton 1180+ft long 215ft wide SHIP a BOAT!!

One more thing if Freeport can handle an Oasis class ship in one of their drydocks even though the shipyards own website says otherwise why would Rccl send Oasis on two transatlantic cruises only 1 1/2 months apart? So we have Officers from Allure who will be on during the repair who say one thing and A [marine engineer] who says another.

We will find out soon enough how the repair will be carried out in Freeport but is wont be carried out on a BOAT :p Not trying to start an argument but the FACTS don't add up to what you have been told

Edited by cruise1814

markdacunha-commercial-photography-aerials-20110322-0044.jpg

This is freedom of the seas in the largest drydock in Freeport very little room on the sides to spare

Ok, I don't mean to nitpick (of course I do it all the time).

Umm....fact. The Allure is going to have a azipod repaired in Freeport.

Would they do that if the ship would either not fit or that they don't have a work around figured out? That seems highly doubtful since this is what they do. So, my conclusion based on the one fact and the obvious following conclusion is that they will fix the azipod in Freeport.

So given the fact and the significant following conclusion. What is your basis to tell someone that what they were told is not true?

I do find the repair of things of this size and complexity to be fascinating, but I struggle with the people here at CC, that seem to think they "know" things contrary to what is actually going to happen....

just saying.

jc

The point is NOT IF they are going to do the repair there. Its happening. The question or discussion has been HOW! It is NOT a traditional drydock circumstance since the ship will not fit. Please read the original post which explains the dredging, sponsons, etc.

[photo]

This is freedom of the seas in the largest drydock in Freeport very little room on the sides to spare

Take another look .... The Freedom OTS beam is 127 feet at the waterline. Dry Dock #2 has 192 ft between the walls (according the the shipyard's web site.)

The Allure is only 154 at the waterline. Looking at the picture you can see a gangway going from the top[ of the wall to deck one or two, and it looks to be about 25 feet long.

Note that the ship doesn't start to get wider until you reach the lifeboats; Allure is designed similarly.

So, based on your picture, it can be deduced that the Allure will fit into the drydock - she will just hang out over the end(s).

Aloha,

John

Well thanks so much for the correction. I'm definately going to believe you and not the expert who will be working on the ship.

And to your BOAT reference, I spent 6 years in the US Navy and heard the word boat used many, many times in reference to many Navy ships. FYI, it's sort of a term of endearment.

If your not trying to start an argument I'm not quite sure what your trying to do. You are implying that this is all some sort of huge lie foisted upon us by RCI.

Just because you think people are out to get doen't mean you are paranoid,,,,or?????

I would love to know how they would achieve this as you can tell by the link I provided to the shipyard itself they do not have a drydock capable of fitting Allure please note width!. Length is not as much of a factor as the freedom class extends over the largest drydock in Freeport they just put barges to over come this. So another [Expert] has spoken in addition to calling the Allure a boat no one with experience in maritime matters would call a 225,000 ton 1180+ft long 215ft wide SHIP a BOAT!!

One more thing if Freeport can handle an Oasis class ship in one of their drydocks even though the shipyards own website says otherwise why would Rccl send Oasis on two transatlantic cruises only 1 1/2 months apart? So we have Officers from Allure who will be on during the repair who say one thing and A [marine engineer] who says another.

We will find out soon enough how the repair will be carried out in Freeport but is wont be carried out on a BOAT :p Not trying to start an argument but the FACTS don't add up to what you have been told

The point is NOT IF they are going to do the repair there. Its happening. The question or discussion has been HOW! It is NOT a traditional drydock circumstance since the ship will not fit. Please read the original post which explains the dredging, sponsons, etc.

I was commenting on the post that said someone had been told something that is false by the theoretical project manager of the retrofit. I am not questioning the size of the dry dock or that a wet dock will be used. I am only commenting on that someone who doesn't know is telling someone else something that they were possibly told by an authority is wrong.

Which is not to say that that is not the case, but the fact is that the person saying they were told wrong is in no position to "know" the truth. I assume after the fact we will all know the methodology used.

I get the fascination. I just don't get the CC experts......:p

jc

And the fact of the matter is that two pods will be changed.

Good point.

One thing that I find fascinating about this is that when asked RCI personnel on my last Oasis cruise absolutely said that the Allure would not be doing the transatlantic next year for dry dock, and that they would be doing all of the dry dock activities that would normally happen at the shipyard on the other side of the Atlantic during this azipod replacement/repair in dry dock/ wet dock or whatever contraption they are assembling in Freeport..... RCI just adds to the mystery...

jc

Just to prove you can't believe what you are told. I was told directly that Allure wouldn't be going to Europe on my last cruise.

Just now checked my email and there was an email from RCI to book Allure in Europe in 2015.:D:D

Now that is funny...

jc

Ok, I don't mean to nitpick (of course I do it all the time).

Umm....fact. The Allure is going to have a azipod repaired in Freeport.

Would they do that if the ship would either not fit or that they don't have a work around figured out? That seems highly doubtful since this is what they do. So, my conclusion based on the one fact and the obvious following conclusion is that they will fix the azipod in Freeport.

So given the fact and the significant following conclusion. What is your basis to tell someone that what they were told is not true?

I do find the repair of things of this size and complexity to be fascinating, but I struggle with the people here at CC, that seem to think they "know" things contrary to what is actually going to happen....

just saying.

jc

NOBODY said the repair was NOT happening in Freeport. The manner with which the repair shall be accomplished is what is being discussed.:rolleyes:

Take another look .... The Freedom OTS beam is 127 feet at the waterline. Dry Dock #2 has 192 ft between the walls (according the the shipyard's web site.)

The Allure is only 154 at the waterline. Looking at the picture you can see a gangway going from the top[ of the wall to deck one or two, and it looks to be about 25 feet long.

Note that the ship doesn't start to get wider until you reach the lifeboats; Allure is designed similarly.

So, based on your picture, it can be deduced that the Allure will fit into the drydock - she will just hang out over the end(s).

Aloha,

John

Your "facts" are wrong. Check the plans for the ship and records which are verifiable. Wikipedia facts on oasis class are flat out wrong the site says freedom class is wider the Allure so there you go Allure is 208 feet at water line and 215 at widest point freedom class is 154 at water line and 184 at bridge wings! BIG difference. As I said, not starting an argument and certainly not responding in a rude manner.

I HAVE TALKED TO CREW MEMBERS ON THE ALLURE's Bridge who will be on during the repair who flat out said to my face she will not fit in drydock due to her width. So I guess the crew on the bridge RCCL hires don't know their own SHIP!! They call ships tin cans as well does not make it right makes you sound uniformed. that pic is not giving the measurements which if you know how to do simple math you would realize it just wont happen

Yes, but facts are facts, size is measurable. It is NOT being retrofitted for anything. It is a repair taking place at a shipyard. The entire thing may change once they get into doing the actual work and see if anything other than replacing bearings is necessary. There will be a "Dry environment" around the pods but it is not considered a "Dry Dock." Ship, boat, you see how this goes. This is why I check roll calls on my upcoming sailings. You people are Nuts!!

Your "facts" are wrong. Check the plans for the ship and records which are verifiable. Wikipedia facts on oasis class are flat out wrong the site says freedom class is wider the Allure so there you go Allure is 208 feet at water line and 215 at widest point freedom class is 154 at water line and 184 at bridge wings! BIG difference. As I said, not starting an argument and certainly not responding in a rude manner.

Oh, I guess the Uniteds Coast Guard is wrong. :-( I checked their Port State Information Exchange to confirm the beams. (I did use Wikipedia for the max width, but that's not important...)

Where did you see the numbers 208/215 because at least one of those is wrong...

Each of the lifeboats are 18ft wide

(ref: http://www.rina.org.uk/mega-lifeboat.html)

, and they fall straight dlown the siode of the hull; so the max width would be 244 feet, not 215. Do you have a "verifiable" web site you can point to?

Aloha,

John

Royal Caribbean directly as well as the Cruise Compass stats given, ON THE BRIDGE!:D
True when I was on the bridge of Allure the stats where there clear as day I will scroll through my pics to see if I got one of stats of Allure displayed on the Bridge

Also lets just say my info is wrong on the drydock width for argument sake. The shipyard site states it can lift 150,000 tons. I know the Freedom of the Seas is 154,700 but you can deballasted the water tanks to lighten the load. You can't do that for 225,000 ton ship like Allure. You also are not thinking about why would RCCL, which owns majority in said shipyard, would have Oasis go into a real drydock over in Europe. Just think about it.;)