Pros & Cons Of Transferring Booking To TA

What are the benefits of transferring a cruise booking to a TA? The reason I'm thinking of transferring my booking to my TA is that she is handling the flight bookings for me?

What are some of the things I can and cannot do on my booking if my TA is handling my cruise reservation?

Once your booking is transferred to a TA, you cannot call Royal or use Royal's website for things like cancelling the cruise, changing staterooms, changing dining, making payments, adding gratuities, adding insurance, etc.

You can still do things like make reservations for excursions and specialty dining.

Once your booking is transferred to a TA, you cannot call Royal or use Royal's website for things like cancelling the cruise, changing staterooms, changing dining, making payments, adding gratuities, adding insurance, etc.

You can still do things like make reservations for excursions and specialty dining.

Also of importance if you transfer to TA, you may not be able to get some price drops and/or room changes if they occur after TA hours. I have had price drops in both evening hours and over the weekend when TA was unavailable - by next morning price drop was gone as well as stateroom category.

Couple of advantages are (1) Having a TA who can advocate for you and (2) if you get additional OBC, specialty restaurants or gratuities perks.

If the perks are not there, I prefer direct though RCCL, especially if I already have an OBC by using a NCC.

That's what I'm leaning towards - dealing directly with RCCL. I can instantly check and amend my reservation online whenever I want instead of waiting for the TA to be available during their business hours.

How much more OBC, if any, can a TA get? I already have $100 OBC for the 7 night cruise for booking during the previous cruise.

So there is no set rule as to how much OBC one can receive by having the TA handle the booking????

No rule. The TA is effectively splitting the commission with you. Many are willing to offer up big perks because the booking is done. They can either have all of nothing, or a part of something that the work is done. Most opt to take a part of something and split it with the customer.

The list above are things my TA takes care of for us. They're not things that we normally change once we're booked but are available for a TA to make changes if needed..

My TA also arranges for my DH to be assisted in boarding the ship and anything else I need with the cruise line.

We find it comforting that someone (TA) has our back when traveling and if there's a problem she'll deal with it in our name.

Edited by summersigh

I know that you can't transfer your reservation to a TA after final payment, but how close to final payment can you still transfer your reservation in order to get TA perks?

The transfer must be made within 60 days of initially booking the cruise, or before final payment has been made, whichever is sooner.

Edited by clarea

What are the benefits of transferring a cruise booking to a TA? The reason I'm thinking of transferring my booking to my TA is that she is handling the flight bookings for me?

What are some of the things I can and cannot do on my booking if my TA is handling my cruise reservation?

We have always used a TA. It has always paid off for us -- either she has gotten us better pricing than we could get ourselves or an additional OBC or some other gift perk when we were on board. Handles any changes needed and is always an fast email away or text message (she is wonderful).

For us it is the way we do it....she advocates for us if need be and seems to get better results (at least the one time we needed it).

I doubt this debate will be settled here, but there are certainly very good examples on both sides of this argument. Those who don't use TAs value the ability to deal directly with the line at all hours, or have had a bad experience with a previous agent. Certainly it's true that once you transfer to an agent the line will not deal with you directly, and if your agent keeps "bankers hours" you may have trouble jumping on a promotion or available cabin.

Those who use a TA value having someone else "looking out for them" and advocating on their behalf, and some negotiate concessions which essentially come out of the TA commission. I think it's important to distinguish between the "large online TAs" which compete largely on price, and the more traditional TA where you deal with the same person every time. You have to decide for yourself if the service of an individual dedicated to making your trip work is worth something to you.

You will never pay more booking with an agent than you will by booking direct, and you might pay less, but in doing so you might sacrifice 24/7 access or the services of a dedicated advocate. The choice is yours.

I doubt this debate will be settled here, but there are certainly very good examples on both sides of this argument. Those who don't use TAs value the ability to deal directly with the line at all hours, or have had a bad experience with a previous agent. Certainly it's true that once you transfer to an agent the line will not deal with you directly, and if your agent keeps "bankers hours" you may have trouble jumping on a promotion or available cabin.

Those who use a TA value having someone else "looking out for them" and advocating on their behalf, and some negotiate concessions which essentially come out of the TA commission. I think it's important to distinguish between the "large online TAs" which compete largely on price, and the more traditional TA where you deal with the same person every time. You have to decide for yourself if the service of an individual dedicated to making your trip work is worth something to you.

You will never pay more booking with an agent than you will by booking direct, and you might pay less, but in doing so you might sacrifice 24/7 access or the services of a dedicated advocate. The choice is yours.

As you say, using a TA or not, is a timeless debate. Most recently I was with some friends on the night before they were heading out on a cruise. Since we live near the Miami/FLL cruise ports when friends (who we are not cruising with) arrive the day before, we find a way to go out to dinner with them.

During one such dinner recently it was discovered that two of the cabins that were booked on the next days cruise, were booked at totally different prices. Different TA's did the booking, for the same cabin category and the booking was done on the same day. One of these couples was very very upset.

Some TA's are not as good as others.

We got used to using a TA when we made our big Europe trip - flight over, 2 1/2 weeks touring using a variety of different train passes and a TransAtl cruise back to the US.

We had an assortment of train passes, flights, and a cruise. The only thing I had to deal with was (by my choice) hotels and the scheduling of our itinary.

It was comforting knowing that my TA had my back in case any of those messed up. From then on we use a TA for all transportation.

Last time I used a TA there was 11 of us traveling flight and cruise out of Miami. All doc's came looked gd but I just had a funny feeling in the pit of my stomach. I called her she said no worries everything was checked and doubled checked told me to relax and enjoy. The next day I just couldn't shake the feeling I called the airline and one of my group was issued a flight ticket but not on the flight manifest. That was it for me lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I believe that some are better off booking with a TA, to use the agent's knowledge and have the details taken care of for them. Others, particularly some experienced cruisers, are more comfortable selecting their cabin, having control of their booking, etc. One of the 'drawbacks' of booking with a TA are possible fees. Be sure to ask if your agent charges a cancellation fee, or a fee for changes to your booking, etc.

Paulette3028, your friends' bookings were in the same cabin category and made on the same day- but booked at totally different prices. Since RCI doesn't allow discounting, one couple may have received a resident's rate or was eligible for a senior or military discount. Or they were both eligible, and one agent didn't apply the discount. Did the couple that paid more inquire as to the reason for the difference?

Ive booked all my 5 cruises with a travel agent and this is my last time. I am going to take control of my own reservations from now on. Mainly because I want to be able to change stuff on my own, Like for example i had my first price drop ever on Tuesday and she was out til Thursday so Royal would not talk to me so I was so ancy that I would miss out on the deal.. But in the end she did come threw. You will save money as well here our TA charges us 55$ per person to book a flight. So right there we would say 100$. I could ramble on forever, But if you have cruised many times before, you should know what to do. :)

I understand I can't transfer a booking close to final payment but any problem with making a new booking after final payment? Should be no problem right?

No problem creating a new booking after final payment date. You would just have to pay in full and would be in the penalty period in case you make any changes.

Yes, a debate that will never be settled - advantages & disadvantages either way. In general, I think it's safe to say that using a GOOD TA is better than booking directly, but booking directly is better than using a BAD TA. The challenge is making sure you find and use a GOOD one. Personal recommendations from someone you know & trust is probably best.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

I used a TA for my honeymoon cruise for two main reasons:

1. She has been my parents' TA for years and is basically a family friend friend at this point, so even if she couldn't get me many perks, she is a pleasure to do business with as a middleman and I also want to give my business to people I know and trust.

2. She will handle all Honeymoon registry duties (for wedding guests who choose to give towards that as their gift) as a personal favor. Most honeymoon registry websites (including the one that RCI promotes on their website) charge a 10% service fee to your guests and another 2.5% from the total given. Also, the website just gives that amount as OBC. With my TA, depending on the wishes of our guest and/or us, it can be applied to the final payment, OBC, or specific on-board gifts to be delivered to the stateroom such as the romance package. All with no "service charge".

That's what I'm leaning towards - dealing directly with RCCL. I can instantly check and amend my reservation online whenever I want instead of waiting for the TA to be available during their business hours.

How much more OBC, if any, can a TA get? I already have $100 OBC for the 7 night cruise for booking during the previous cruise.

My TA is giving me, on our upcoming 11 nites Quantum cruise, paid grats., add'l $OBC to complement RCL's, dinner for 2 and $100 towards spa. These perks are adjusted if any sizeable price drops. The downside is a $100 cancellation fee, otherwise the service is as good a RCL's.