Just off Voyager of the Seas

I just did back to back Voyager cruises to the South Pacific and New Zealand. Wanted to also do the Australian itinerary but couldn't make it happen. (But sounds like I got lucky and missed the norovirus!)

I, too, experienced frustration with the drinks situation. For me, it was the fact that many of the wines on their dining room wine list were out of stock. I figured after the first cruise they would restock in Sydney but on the second cruise, all the same wines were out of stock.

Also, on the first cruise, they ran out of Corona so one would think they'd properly stock up on it for the next cruise but on the 2nd cruise they also ran out of Corona.

But don't want to seem like a complainer. I had a great time and I'm a devoted RCI cruiser.

p.s. Does anyone know of a brand of sanitizer that does kill norovirus? I was relying on the ship's hand sanitizers and surprised to hear they aren't effective for norovirus.

We were told on our VOS cruise by room steward that staff were told they should expect many complaints as certain things including popular brands of booze wine and beer had not made it to Australia for re stocking.

Our dinning room waiter confirmed this and actually added that RCI would not buy local as its too expensive because cheaper priced goods are freighted in from overseas, so if a container is late or still in bond they just leave without it.

Didnt spoil my cruise but some table guests were very upset as their wine package choice a few days in was given to somebody else who complained loudly about the lack of wine choices available.

Is there a cruise compliment site....??? Remembering there are over 3000 passengers on board surely there were some positives?.....just so all future cruisers on this ship can look forward to our cruise :-) anyone?

The end of the cruise would appear to be a positive.;)

Is there a cruise compliment site....??? Remembering there are over 3000 passengers on board surely there were some positives?.....just so all future cruisers on this ship can look forward to our cruise :-) anyone?

On a serious note, this link http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=105 has over 900 reviews of VOS. Good and Bad. :)

Reviews for the above cruise have not appeared yet. Standby.

Edited by By The Bay

"Now my questions are ..... Was that sewer smell on the cruise before us? And will the cruise after us suffer the same awful smell? Could this smell and its source be a contributing factor to the norovirus?"

We were on the previous VOS cruise (Jan 24-Feb 4) & to answer ur question:

Yes the sewer smell was on our cruise - Deck 7 - as told to us by friends who were on that Deck.

As far as I know we had no Noro outbreak.

We also experienced certain beers and spirits not being available at certain bars. I take offense at the comment by the member of staff who stated there were 'drunks on the previous cruise' - upon disembarkation at Circular Quay there were pallets of alcohol on the dock waiting to be loaded.

My personal opinion is that with the increase in pax purchasing the unlimited alcohol pkgs they are struggling with demand so all bars are not stocked with everything (probs a $ saving measure as well).

On a positive note, the ice skating show was awesome

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Will these plumbing problems be rectified during Voyager's refurb later this year, or does an upgrade just include beautification and not repair work?

They do what they can when these opportunities arise i.e. it's not just superficial. So they may do some work, but sometimes it's not possible or doesn't get resolved. (Or it may already be resolved before then.)

hopefully it is all sorted for the Voyager leaving on 27/2. sounds like it wasn't the most pleasant cruise for some of you.

Worried also in this cruise as well and on level 7 aft. Hope it gets a though cleaning

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

When I cruised VOS there was no smell at all anywhere and we explored most to all of the ship.

Perhaps there is not the full facility to pump out all the sewerage on each Australian cruise visited port turn a round? Then it would not be a ship problem but inadequate port facilities?

All ships can have plumbing problems.

I have done one 14 nighter on VOS I have another 14 nighter booked and am in the proses of booking a 13 nighter.

There will always be gripes about a ship and all ships can become sick ships.

I think we are all getting a little spoilt for choice these days.

Now let me think Voyager of the seas or should I go on Pacific pearl/pacific Dawn/ Pacific Jewel ? lol.:D:D:D

We were on Voyager of the Seas for 42 nights. We didn't have any nasty smell anywhere that we noticed. Also there was no Noro Virus either.

Maybe we should be looking ourselves and peoples hygiene and not blame the ship.

Jill

Edited by Gold Coast Cruisers

well we were on the previous cruise. we:

- didn't see any drunks

- had one experience where the wine we ordered wasn't available

- did smell a bad smell on embarking (deck 10) and later in the cruise for one day

- saw one of those carpet drying machines on deck 10 for most of the cruise

- did not see any evidence of norovirus

- didn't get sick (we are also like others very cautious)

It wasn't our favourite RCI cruise (we have quite a few) but for us it was ok. We are not really keen to go on another just now - might try a different cruise line even though we are now diamond

We were on Voyager of the Seas for 42 nights. We didn't have any nasty smell anywhere that we noticed. Also there was no Noro Virus either.

Maybe we should be looking ourselves and peoples hygiene and not blame the ship.

Jill

Unfortunately forum threads like these tend to attract people with negative posts. They prefer to blame someone else and not look at themselves.

Edited by Fozwald

Unfortunately forum threads like these tend to attract people with negative posts. They prefer to blame someone else and not look at themselves.

I take offence at that - this is the first time ever that I have posted a negative post about any cruise.....and I do think other cruisers need to be aware of that problem on the Voyager - and to be aware of the poor way in which it was was handled!

The fact that the smell was already there when we joined the cruise was a concern especially if the previous cruise may have had the same issue.

I think being forewarned has an advantage - as soon as we boarded and noticed the smell, we were very careful with washing our hands before any meals. We also chose to eat in the Dining Room whenever possible (usually do this anyhow as we much prefer it to the Windjammer). I would suggest that any future cruisers on this ship complain quickly and frequently if they experience this awful smell - maybe nothing will be done, but you may get some recompense for the inconvenience.

We did not get sick, nor did this ruin our cruise but it very unpleasant heading back to our cabin at any time.

Edited by annenic

They also attract people who cannot stand to hear anything negative and who believe that their own experience is the only legitimate experience. We like RCI but our latest cruise was not the best.

That sounds just awful. I'm so sorry some of you had such a terrible experience.

For the 1st time ever, I'm actually not looking forward our cruise on Voyager in a few weeks. Having been the victim of Noro on Princess in December (and I was super careful with washing hands etc...) the memory is still fresh in my mind.

If I could, I think would actually cancel my cruise :(

That's not so pleasant! Poor cruisers ;(

This is starting to freak me out a bit too. It's our first cruise and its on the voyager. Here's hoping that its all been rectified!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Lots of positives:

The Ice Show was spectacular.

The entertainment was excellent.

The Food was de-lish.

The Staff were great and friendly.

Lots of activities - always something to get involved in.

We met some really great people on board who we will definitely keep in touch with - love the connections we make on our cruises.

And I definitely agree - hope by the time you cruise it HAS all been rectified.

Aah thanks Madtaj, much appreciated ;D. Will call into the chemist and see they can help me with the ingreds you speak of ;D

No need to go to the chemist -- in fact, I think that might turn out to be a FAIL.

Just go to the kitchen cleaning area of Woolworths or Coles and look for kitchen counter wipes -- they all have Benzalkonium Chloride in them, whereas the personal wipes do not

Barry

well we were on the previous cruise. we:

- didn't see any drunks

- had one experience where the wine we ordered wasn't available

- did smell a bad smell on embarking (deck 10) and later in the cruise for one day

- saw one of those carpet drying machines on deck 10 for most of the cruise

- did not see any evidence of norovirus

- didn't get sick (we are also like others very cautious)

It wasn't our favourite RCI cruise (we have quite a few) but for us it was ok. We are not really keen to go on another just now - might try a different cruise line even though we are now diamond

Have a look at Celebrity, just a suggestion. :)

Jill

No need to go to the chemist -- in fact, I think that might turn out to be a FAIL.

Just go to the kitchen cleaning area of Woolworths or Coles and look for kitchen counter wipes -- they all have Benzalkonium Chloride in them, whereas the personal wipes do not

Barry

Practicality wise and for health reasons I would not suggest wiping your hands with kitchen wipes for a long period. The foaming, non alcohol hand sanitizer should have the ingredient. Try the company hands first.

Off topic who is the current cruise director on voyager now Luke arrowsmith is on holidays?

Lots of positives:

The Ice Show was spectacular.

The entertainment was excellent.

The Food was de-lish.

The Staff were great and friendly.

Lots of activities - always something to get involved in.

We met some really great people on board who we will definitely keep in touch with - love the connections we make on our cruises.

And I definitely agree - hope by the time you cruise it HAS all been rectified.

Thanks annenic ;D

Barry I picked up some wetones, thanks ;D

Oh and I did pick up kitchen wipes to use in the cabin, just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Edited by Liliny

They also attract people who cannot stand to hear anything negative and who believe that their own experience is the only legitimate experience. We like RCI but our latest cruise was not the best.

We were on the previous NZ cruise and must admit ours was also not the best - 3rd time on Voyager. We probably had the worst waiter ever in the MDR, there were some sewerage smells on and off - aft 7, there were a few times our toilet didn't work and lots of people with coughs and colds (not the ship's fault) which we got in the last day or two despite being overly cautious and still recovering! Also had problems getting our diamond discounts.

But balanced with great weather when onshore, great ports of call and tours, good entertainment, very energetic cruise director, generally staff friendly, great ice skating show, great waiters in the buffet area - actually helped you find seating there and cleared the tables. Did not see any drunks nor any notifications of noro.

I don't think any cruise is perfect so we take the good with the bad and not let it get to us after all we have paid to enjoy. But it may alter our future choices but then with the refit for Voyager in October, we could be tempted back maybe once more.

We were on the previous NZ cruise and must admit ours was also not the best - 3rd time on Voyager. We probably had the worst waiter ever in the MDR, there were some sewerage smells on and off - aft 7, there were a few times our toilet didn't work and lots of people with coughs and colds (not the ship's fault) which we got in the last day or two despite being overly cautious and still recovering! Also had problems getting our diamond discounts.

But balanced with great weather when onshore, great ports of call and tours, good entertainment, very energetic cruise director, generally staff friendly, great ice skating show, great waiters in the buffet area - actually helped you find seating there and cleared the tables. Did not see any drunks nor any notifications of noro.

I don't think any cruise is perfect so we take the good with the bad and not let it get to us after all we have paid to enjoy. But it may alter our future choices but then with the refit for Voyager in October, we could be tempted back maybe once more.

I agree with all of your 'pluses' megsie - there was lots good about the cruise and we were so lucky with the weather in NZ. I think they had trouble with their it systems for the first few days (we had trouble getting our discounts as well) but some of the staff were just brilliant and we gave extra tips and a wow card.

Barry

Just a correction Barry. "Wet Ones" hand wipes have Benzalkonium Chloridein in their ingredients. Available at supermarkets and chemists.

Edited by By The Bay