cost of infants?

I was afraid someone would say that. Oh well, guess the wife won't be getting prego anytime soon! Cruise before babies!! Seriously though, that is crazy. They don't provide you with formula etc. What is an 8month old being on the ship costing RCCL.

I guess taking up room for a paying customer....

I was afraid someone would say that. Oh well, guess the wife won't be getting prego anytime soon! Cruise before babies!! Seriously though, that is crazy. They don't provide you with formula etc. What is an 8month old being on the ship costing RCCL.

You nailed it with your last comment. When a ship sails, the "cost" of the cruise has already been locked in. The number of guests makes no difference in the expense. Same crew, same itinerary, same food preparation, etc...

RCI (and every cruise line) doesn't look at each passenger as "costing", rather they look at each passenger as potential revenue. So it's not about how much it "costs" then to have an infant on board. But rather how much money they will not make because that infant won't be buying drinks, spending money in the shops, spa, etc...

It's the same reason I pay double as a solo cruiser. Without that second person in a stateroom, RCI loses a substantial source of revenue.

Typically the cost of the third or fourth passenger in a stateroom is less than that of the first two. In some cases it is considerably lower, other times not. But age is not a factor as it is not based on what is provided to adults v. children, only that there is an additional person on board.

At one time many years ago when RCI was trying to encourage more families to cruise the additional passenger rates per stateroom were very low and targeted at bringing children along. But as there are now a number of mass market cruise lines with a strong family demographic, the pricing has changed and is not child oriented, but additional passenger oriented as inidcated.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Does RCCL charge the same for infants? If so, does the price depend on the age?

1st 2 people in the cabin pay full price. numbers 3 and up will pay the prevailing rate( sometimes a lot less, sometimes not) EVERYONE pays the list price regardless of age. 6 weeks or 66 years.

on occasion a line may offer kids sail free or for $99 but these are restricted sailings and it is one adult fare one special price, so if you have 3 kids then only 2 will get the special rate.

that 8 month old will not be generating any extra revenue( drinks, Bingo, spa) and WILL generate a LOT more work( diaper removal, pureeing baby food and vacuuming up all the crushed zwieback toast off the carpet) they are also taking up a spot on a lifeboat, away from someone who WILL spend money on board, which is where all the profit comes from.

You nailed it with your last comment. When a ship sails, the "cost" of the cruise has already been locked in. The number of guests makes no difference in the expense. Same crew, same itinerary, same food preparation, etc...

RCI (and every cruise line) doesn't look at each passenger as "costing", rather they look at each passenger as potential revenue. So it's not about how much it "costs" then to have an infant on board. But rather how much money they will not make because that infant won't be buying drinks, spending money in the shops, spa, etc...

It's the same reason I pay double as a solo cruiser. Without that second person in a stateroom, RCI loses a substantial source of revenue.

Actually, for people who spend next to nothing on the ship RCI might be saving some money with a solo. Their food bill is less and there is less wear and tear on the ship. But for the most part you are right. RCI counts on those seapass cards getting a lot of swipes.

that 8 month old will not be generating any extra revenue( drinks, Bingo, spa) and WILL generate a LOT more work( diaper removal, pureeing baby food and vacuuming up all the crushed zwieback toast off the carpet) they are also taking up a spot on a lifeboat, away from someone who WILL spend money on board, which is where all the profit comes from.

Exactly! Though as someone who has paid for an infant it's worth it!

Speaking of prices. The last two cruises we booked with our DD the 3rd rate was MORE than the first two. (Resident rates on last minute cruises typically only apply to guest 1 and 2).

Even with that I don't think there's a better vacation for the family even when the kid was real little. Sure it's a different experience but so nice and the crew has always been so helpful.

Does RCCL charge the same for infants? If so, does the price depend on the age?

We are booked on our next cruise with a 1 year old. The 3rd person cost was only 25% of the 1st or 2nd persons cost. I want to say it was $306 for DD vs the full fair cost per person for the FO room.

EDIT: the formula does not come included but you can buy all of the items you need before you sail and they will be in your room upon arrival (Diapers, wipes, baby food, formula...)

Edited by archyboy6

I sailed with my 11 month old niece (and her parents of course) and yes they paid for the 3rd person. She didn't really use any of the ammenities but I will say the wait staff was really good about bringing her food (that we told them she would like) early so that she wasn't crabby while we were waiting for the rest of the food. She got a little antsy with the long dinners but we brought some small toys and stuff and had no issues. They brought her mac and cheese most nights which was AMAZING by the way. We ended up eating it more than she did :D

i think it's ridiculous you have to pay that much for a baby but I guess you either pay it or don't go...sad day

Extra work for room steward including the clutter and diapers to be removed. Space in public area for strollers carrying beds etc.

We're bringing our 1 year old and 3 year old next month and I have no qualms about paying 3rd and 4th passenger rates for them. We cruised when my oldest was 18 months and all of us had a fantastic time. It is such a great vacation and totally worth it to me to have someone else cooking and cleaning while I unpack once and enjoy a different port every day.

Babies do require a little extra clean up and work for the staff. My granddaughter, at 8 months, was provided with many home made dinners from the chefs on board. They made her fresh fruit and vegetable dishes every night - don't know if they blended, food processed or what. Different waiters came up to talk to her and "play" with her for short periods. After we left, they would have to clean up after her (cracker crumbs, etc)

The steward took care of the pack and play daily, hauled out the dirty diapers. and cleaned up the cracker crumbs etc.

On a brighter note, when we got off of the ship, we donated the jars of food that were bought for the cruise to a local food pantry. Couldn't bring it on the plane, so someone else did benefit from our cruise also.

We didn't use it, because of nap times, but there is a program on board for play time for babies and parents. Newer ships have a nursery too.

My 15 month old just finished her second cruise and it is agreat way to travel with bubs. We are experienced travellers and when she was 7 months old we went to Thailand with her. Cruising may cost a little more for an infant but it makes life and travelling so much easier. High chairs at the ready, cots in rooms made up, no cleaning of anything (now I am home cleaning a high chair 5 times a day I am longing for dining room staff to rush over to me saying 'no, no Ma'am we clean for you!!') free bag of toys so no need to pack toys with us, food at the ready 24/7 so no need to stress that baby wakes up hungry at 3pm and you don't have to leave the hotel to find food, cabins nice and close for nappy changes, easy for one person to return to room for nap time/early to bed and the other adult to go out and enjoy the ship without the danger of being far away/alone in a foreign port, my list could go on! Yeah it costs a bit more, but worth it!

I get all the rationale provided above, but as someone with a 1 year old I find it hard to justify spending $1000 on a cruise 3rd passenger rate for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

having kids is expensive no matter what you spend the money on for them. it's the consequences parents must agree to accept when they choose to procreate.

having kids is expensive no matter what you spend the money on for them. it's the consequences parents must agree to accept when they choose to procreate.

We agree spookwife. The needs of little ones don't change because they're at sea (especially naptime to avert crying crabbiness.) :)

As a pediatrician, I can attest to this. Unfortunately, I can also attest to the fact that an exceptional number of parents do not comprehend, or simply refuse to accept this concept.