UK -Increased Non-refundable deposit/ change of final payment date

excitedofharpenden

I think some of this retrograde step is the new MD bowing to travel agents pressure as several took higher deposits and all asked for money much earlier than Azamara did

How does this fit in with the policies in the US, is it aligned or another example of UK downgraded experience?

Hey, I've just thought they probably need us to start the payment process sooner because remember we cannot do it online and the one winged dodo had to get to and from Guatemala

Whatever, another change I am not impressed by, too many nails going into the old coffin for my liking these days

Ps I am assuming they are not applying a retrospective change to existing 2015 bookings

I think some of this retrograde step is the new MD bowing to travel agents pressure as several took higher deposits and all asked for money much earlier than Azamara did

How does this fit in with the policies in the US, is it aligned or another example of UK downgraded experience?

Hey, I've just thought they probably need us to start the payment process sooner because remember we cannot do it online and the one winged dodo had to get to and from Guatemala

Whatever, another change I am not impressed by, too many nails going into the old coffin for my liking these days

Ps I am assuming they are not applying a retrospective change to existing 2015 bookings

The US has refundable deposits.. and we pay 60 days or so before date of sailing and then it's in 100 % penalty.

The travel contract/ laws are different in UK/overseas than US. I believe you have better consumer protection laws than we do.

I have read where UK residents have used US based TA's to get better pricing and terms. I know RCL allows for it but Carnival will not take UK or foreign residents bookings thru a US TA.

CC

Phil, we have to pay $550 pp deposit. Final payment is due 90 days in advance (we've just paid in full this week for our May 12th Journey). Now I'm not sure if the 90 days is what Azamara says must be done or if it's our TA's policy. If we cancel in advance of the penalty stage, we still have to pay an inconvenience fee to Azamara--$25 or 50, forget which (though I do remember having to pay it once :rolleyes:).

Hi Deirdre. Yes, it's quite different here and we have other regulations and protections governing holiday bookings in the UK. We actually used to do better than the US for final payment date. I've been on roll calls with lots of chatter about paying up when it's been two or three weeks before I have to do it. It appears that will now change. The big thing is the £150 pp (now £250) is non-refundable although I have been able to transfer a cancelled booking to another within the group and not lose it.

I've done it all ways. UK travel agent, UK direct with Azamara, US travel agent. They all seem to have pitfalls. My main one for booking via a US travel agent and especially as I book more often than not quite well ahead is exchange rate risk. I know there are ways of mitigating that, but my preferred for the last few years has been via my lady at Azamara. Now that's been changed to a call centre in Central America that may very well alter. Shame as she has done me proud over the years. That though is another story. Just wanted to put the message out there for those like me currently booking in the UK that things are a changing.

Phil

Phil, we have to pay $550 pp deposit. Final payment is due 90 days in advance (we've just paid in full this week for our May 12th Journey). Now I'm not sure if the 90 days is what Azamara says must be done or if it's our TA's policy. If we cancel in advance of the penalty stage, we still have to pay an inconvenience fee to Azamara--$25 or 50, forget which (though I do remember having to pay it once :rolleyes:).

Umm Deidre.... the fee is not to Azamara it is a fee to your TA.. there is no fee for canceling before penalty phase...:roll eyes:

CC

Edited by curiouscat

Umm Deidre.... the fee is not to Azamara it is a fee to your TA.. there is no fee for canceling before penalty phase...:roll eyes:

CC

I beg to differ. There most certainly is a fee payable to Azamara and they will not budge about it either. You cancel; you pay. $25 pp. Please take a look: http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/plan-your-voyage/after-booking/helpful-information/voyage-cancellation-and-refund-policies

I beg to differ. There most certainly is a fee payable to Azamara and they will not budge about it either. You cancel; you pay. $25 pp. Please take a look: http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/plan-your-voyage/after-booking/helpful-information/voyage-cancellation-and-refund-policies

Yep, it's an Azamara fee. I had experience of it booking via a US travel agent and then having to cancel.

Phil

Well that certainly is interesting since before this booking I previously

made 2 reservations and had to cancel a few weeks later but never was charged ?

CC

Well that certainly is interesting since before this booking I previously

made 2 reservations and had to cancel a few weeks later but never was charged ?

CC

Maybe you lucked out...there is a $25.00 pp cancellation fee per cruise...for us, we would owe Azamara $100.00 if we cancel before final payment

This money does not go to the TA, but directly to Azamara.

I agree but Azamara must really be in trouble when people like Uktog start talking about nails in the coffin

The non refundable $25pp deposit fee is new. If I cancel before the final payment date, I will get a refund less the $25. There are some other cruise lines that are now charging a fee if you cancel. They call it administrative costs. I call it poor business. Each slight change in policy sends a message. Azamara tries to sell itself as a luxury product. They would probably increase sales if they used the selling feature of "completely refundable until final payment." I have on a whim booked trips/hotel rooms way in advance. Most of the time, I use the booking. There is a notion that once you book, you are in dreaming mode. You can imagine being on the cruise or at that hotel. It works. I have often been offered to rebook for "next time" when leaving resorts or beach properties. I make the deposit....and have used the booking everytime with one exception. The cruise that I wanted to take next summer conficted with another tour that I want to take. I canceled that tour when I booked my next Azamara cruise. The tour company refunded my money without any hesitation. It is a great tour company that I have used many times....and will definitely use again.

Having unsuccessfully tried to book the current “Your Choice” promotion with Azamara UK, Lee’s parents turned to a German online TA. They booked a V2 balcony cabin for the price of a 08 obstructed ocean-view, 10% deposit and final payment due 30 days before departure.

There are some other cruise lines that are now charging a fee if you cancel. They call it administrative costs. I call it poor business.

As I understand it, Oceania dramatically increased their administrative charge recently. If you cancel less than 4 months from departure you may pay a minimum of $250. pp.

Although it may appear to be poor business practice, it was apparently in response to a person(s) who were "gaming" the system.