Polution from ships at White City Cruise Terminal

Did anyone see the ABC 7.30 NSW report on complaints from East Balmain residents about pollution from ships berthed at White City Cruise Terminal?

I was surprised to learn that there is no shore to ship power, so ships keep their engines running whilst in port.

There is an emissions monitoring station at the wharf, but some residents want emissions monitoring in their homes and access to the data.

Did anyone see the ABC 7.30 NSW report on complaints from East Balmain residents about pollution from ships berthed at White City Cruise Terminal?

I was surprised to learn that there is no shore to ship power, so ships keep their engines running whilst in port.

There is an emissions monitoring station at the wharf, but some residents want emissions monitoring in their homes and access to the data.

There is no shore to ship power for cruise ships at any port as far as I know..... Sounds more like just another whinge from a handful of whacko greenie locals.....again:eek:

There is no shore to ship power for cruise ships at any port as far as I know..... Sounds more like just another whinge from a handful of whacko greenie locals.....again:eek:

In some ports in the USA and Alaska they have shore to ship power, but no ports in the Australia, South Pacific, or New Zealand have shore to ship power.

Yes - it was interesting. Shame Sydney Ports didn't provide any response - would have been interesting to learn what the monitoring stations they have are reporting

One small comment I will make on that item - they got one thing VERY wrong when they said residents would not have a problem this weekend as no vessels would be at the terminal - I'm delighted to say they will have a guest all day Sunday until midnight - Crystal Symphony arrives at White Bay terminal at 8am tomorrow - and I'm lucky enough to be hopping on :D:D:D

Edited by Bodogbodog

I thought White City was a tennis complex at Rushcutters Bay:D

Or am I just showing my age:confused:

Maybe if the Balmain residents go legal over the perceived pollution they will "serve" a summons and take Sydney Ports to "court" to see who is at "fault" It all sounds like a bit of a "racquet" and they will get "strung" along but Sydney Ports will have an "ace" up their sleeves.... And all because the ships produce their own "juice" ( ok I know it's spelt deuce)

Yes - it was interesting. Shame Sydney Ports didn't provide any response - would have been interesting to learn what the monitoring stations they have are reporting

One small comment I will make on that item - they got one thing VERY wrong when they said residents would not have a problem this weekend as no vessels would be at the terminal - I'm delighted to say they will have a guest all day Sunday until midnight - Crystal Symphony arrives at White Bay terminal at 8am tomorrow - and I'm lucky enough to be hopping on :D:D:D

Yes, it was a shame Sydney Ports didn't provide any response.

Lucky you.

Keep you eye open for a first hand account on any pollution. I suspect, for East Balmain residents, it depends on which way the wind is blowing and some ships may be worse than others.

Yes, it was a shame Sydney Ports didn't provide any response.

Sydney Ports did give responses on there. Sydney Ports offered to provide monitoring stations at the residences but weren't accepted. The resident's said they weren't accepting as they wanted to get access to the data as well. And Sydney ports responded that they would release the data to qualified individuals.

And that's where the stand off is.

Sydney Ports did give responses on there

I stand corrected - you're right they must have given a written response by put they didn't appear on camera to respond (I understand why - you're on a hiding to nothing really with the media - although at least it wasn't Today Tonight or ACA super sensationalising it)

I think that is a bit harsh, greenies can sometimes go too far, but diesel is a serious health hazard and even families living in a city environment shouldn't have to be subjected to this dreadful pollutant.

White Bay was always going to be an awful place for a cruise terminal both for passengers and residents.:mad:

I think that is a bit harsh, greenies can sometimes go too far, but diesel is a serious health hazard and even families living in a city environment shouldn't have to be subjected to this dreadful pollutant.

White Bay was always going to be an awful place for a cruise terminal both for passengers and residents.:mad:

What you say is true -- but it is only part of the truth.

The FULL truth is that Sydney is awash with polluting powered engine vessels -- from tinnies through to visiting Aircraft carriers. Look into the water at anytime around Circular Quay and you will see the colourful sheen of oil on the water. Breathe the air and you will get a lung full of particulants.

The trendoids on the Balmain peninsula are angry for other reasons -- as are the restaurant owners at the OPT. It's a result of their vested property interests.

Barry

What you say is true -- but it is only part of the truth.

The FULL truth is that Sydney is awash with polluting powered engine vessels -- from tinnies through to visiting Aircraft carriers. Look into the water at anytime around Circular Quay and you will see the colourful sheen of oil on the water. Breathe the air and you will get a lung full of particulants.

The trendoids on the Balmain peninsula are angry for other reasons -- as are the restaurant owners at the OPT. It's a result of their vested property interests.

Barry

Not to mention the hundreds or thousands of diesel powered trucks buses cars etc that pass through Balmain on a daily basis.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a reason that they don't provide shore to ship power here, and that is the cost of the infrastructure

The ships use as much power as a small city, and to supply that is a major task. Even Alaska can't supply a lot, although they try to insist on it, they can only do the smaller ships

I spoke to the engineers and environment officers on a rccl ship at length directly on this due to study I was doing on ohs and the environment.

Not just up to Sydney Ports

Hope this helps

Greg:)