Betting off the Spirit in Barcelona

clarkg

Sorry, it should say Getting off the ship. The Spirit docks in Barcelona at 5am. Is a 10:30 flight going to work? The other flights are twice as much.

That's a maybe. The ship might be docked but until the ship is cleared by local customs you usually cannot leave the ship. You might be able to disembark by 7:30 or it might be as late as 9:00. Check your roll call or the European boards and see what help you can find.

If you get a taxi then it doesn't take long to get to the airport.

You should be able to get off early enough to get to the airport early enough, but how early do you have to check in?

Basically, you should be ok but I wouldn't want to have a flight quite that early, just in case there is any problem.

Having said that, looking at the Epic dailies from last year, self walk off was scheduled to start at 5.30am and the first colours called at 6.15 which suggests that there is quite a bit of leeway there. We docked at 5am.

As long as you are off by 7 then you should be at the airport for 8, so I'd say you will be find unless there is a delay for any reason.

Sorry, it should say Getting off the ship. The Spirit docks in Barcelona at 5am. Is a 10:30 flight going to work? The other flights are twice as much.

We are on the Spririt March 1. We also have a 10:30 flight on disembarkation day. Only non stop to Miami. Our airline wants us at the airport two hours ahead of the flight. After reading how early others have been able to leave the ship and that some cruisers have gotten to the airpport before the check in counter even opened, we decided to chance it. My husband would really like to get home that day, but we realize that if we miss the plane we will have to deal with it. Keeping our fingers crossed!

All I can say is I sympathize with you. We've been looking at flights for a 12-day grand med still can't get past that flights from the east coast of the US to Europe (about 8 hours of plane time) are the same price or more than flights from here to Thailand (about 24-26 hours of plane time). :eek:

Convinced I'm doing something wrong here. :confused:

... Our airline wants us at the airport two hours ahead of the flight. ..

And, being a frequent traveler, what the airline WANTS and what is REQUIRED are often quite different.

In any event, customs, etc in Barcelona is no biggie (unlike the U.S.) People post here often of catching mid morning flights all the time.

Personally, we like Barcelona so much we always suggest staying another day and flying out the next day.

Note the weekday rush hour traffic is a lot worse than the weekends. We were surprised by the amount of traffic. However if you do a self-debarkation at say 7am (which is very achievable unless there are problems like storms, technical etc), you will be at the airport in half an hour.

And, being a frequent traveler, what the airline WANTS and what is REQUIRED are often quite different.

In any event, customs, etc in Barcelona is no biggie (unlike the U.S.) People post here often of catching mid morning flights all the time.

Personally, we like Barcelona so much we always suggest staying another day and flying out the next day.

We looked at that option, the only problem is that the flight out the next day is $400.00 more for some reason. Combine that with the need to get back to work and we have to leave that day.

• 4 months later...

We took NCL transfers from the Spirit to the airport. We left the ship about 6 am. We were at the airport very quickly. We had to wait in line for about 30 minutes for the airline counter to open. It was so easy!

On the taxis, our last disembarkation in Barcelona (last summer) we docked and were cleared around 6:30. When we got off there were at least one hundred taxis lines up as far as the eye could see. We tried to get one but were told that they could not take a passenger until 7:00, some kind of rule. We stood there looking at them with them looking at us for almost 30 minutes until 7:00. So if you need a taxi, plan on a 7:00 getaway time.

Guess they do that to force people to use cruiseline transfers? I really want to book the Lufthansa flight but the 930 departure worries me. They have ones later at like 650pm but they all have long (but not long enough to really explore) in Frankfurt. Could definitely get dinner but arriving at 9pm and departing at 1245pm the next day is mostly hotel sleep time.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Sunday, 5/18/14, we were allowed to get off at 6:30, but we waited until 7:30, and 25 minutes later we were in the airport. Perhaps there would be more traffic weekdays, as we saw very little early that morning. There were very few leaving early, many did stay on board and take tours or late flights.

buckeye82 were you able to make the 1030 flight? most of the flights i'm looking at are at 930am :/

Yes, we made it! Fast taxi ride to the airport. But we did stand in line a long time at the check in counter. Security-no problems. Got to the gate in plenty of time.