Live from the Explorer - February 16, 2014

I will be posting from the Explorer too beginning March 29th for two weeks. We are so excited to do our first back 2 back. I'm waiting to see how it feels once we get back to Cape Liberty from our first cruise and don't have to get off the ship while others do, and just stay on for the second cruise. We are very fortunate and thank-ful that we are able to do this. Now, I have to hope I know how to operate the new camera system I just purchased so I can post some decent photos.

Dave

Jonathan, sorry to hijack your review for a minute.

Can't wait for more!!!

Dave...

If you think about it, could you post a link to your live review here?? I do not want to miss it and since I am already subscribed here... yea well you get the idea.

Both you and dodge's breakdown of the cabin type vs. affordability vs. more cruises is perfect for any newbie.

Nervous?

Just somewhat apprehensive because we have sailed with Celebrity and Princess for years and had wonderful experiences. It was nice to hear how great Jonathan's experience was since this was also his first time with RCI. We are not fussy, believe me! I know we will love it!

Marguerite

First Thank you for the updates they were fantastic and informative and I just saw someone had the GS multiple times and not the perks, I think that is important to know as being in the GS may not be everyone's ability or choice, today marks somewhere in the 70 or 80 days on the Explorer and I have had inside to suites and you have to measure which do you prefer:

Grand suite one time to

Jr suite 2/3 times

Balcony 3/4 times

Outside or inside 5 times

Trust me the suites are nicer and have multiple perks but so does having multiple cruises and getting crown and anchor points so for newer cruisers reading the boards thankfully you get the input from a lot of people on multiple ships and rooms to be able to fit what fits you, because a day at sea is still a great day.

Again Thank You for taking the time to share the GS week I looked forward this past week to read your posts everyday as most of have, great job and welcome home.

Thank You Dodgeball24, it was my pleasure to write them. Now I have to get busy writing up my review and upload pictures from the trip.

Thank you Jonathan for taking the time to share your experience with us. I totally agree with the praises here and look forward to sailing on this great ship again in April.

Karen

Thank You very much Karen. You will have a marvelous time aboard this immaculate and friendly ship. It was only a one week cruise but, being back home seems so strange, I miss the wide open vistas of the blue ocean, endless sky and gazing at the assortment of cruise ships plying the far reaches of the sea. I can barely wait to board the Grandeur next February, we booked another Grand Suite.

Someone else wrote here on Cruise Critic that the only problem with the Grand Suite is once you've experienced it's very hard to go to a standard balcony. We have been treated like Royalty and we like it that way.

Just somewhat apprehensive because we have sailed with Celebrity and Princess for years and had wonderful experiences. It was nice to hear how great Jonathan's experience was since this was also his first time with RCI. We are not fussy, believe me! I know we will love it!

Marguerite

You have nothing to be apprehensive about. You will have a fabulous time aboard the Explorer. She has become one of my favorite ships right up there with the Queen Mary 2 and the HAL Noordam. Explorer is beautifully maintained, the food is excellent, the service tremendous. Relax and have a wonderful vacation.

Thank You again to all of you for reading my posts and leaving such nice comments it was such a pleasure to hear from all of you during our high seas adventure. I hope to get pictures and a final review this week.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

I'm drooling from you detailed descriptions of the food. I can taste the pumpkin seed rolls now. Your talents are wasted here. Write a book about your travels for all to enjoy.

We are also big Explorer fans and hate to see her leave Bayonne. I guess we'll just have to follow her.

Thanks for sharing.

I'm drooling from you detailed descriptions of the food. I can taste the pumpkin seed rolls now. Your talents are wasted here. Write a book about your travels for all to enjoy.

We are also big Explorer fans and hate to see her leave Bayonne. I guess we'll just have to follow her.

Thanks for sharing.

Thank You Lakelorain, that's a great idea, I should write a book. We are also sorry to see Explorer leave. I'm hoping that Quantum will move to Florida and RCCL will return Explorer or another Voyager class ship to Bayonne.

Jonathan

One Formal Night will be fine with us.

We just got off this sailing...our waiter told us 1 formal nite, but the compass called for 2...and plenty of Oaxaca were formal on both. Of course, there were also plenty if folks in giants jerseys!

Thanks for sharing your cruise with us. The Explorer is our favorite ship. The staff are the best and we have made many friends sailing on this ship. Although we are looking forward to Quantum, we will miss Explorer terribly and are sorry to see it leave Bayonne. Again, thanks for taking us along.

Deb

Thanks for sharing your cruise with us. The Explorer is our favorite ship. The staff are the best and we have made many friends sailing on this ship. Although we are looking forward to Quantum, we will miss Explorer terribly and are sorry to see it leave Bayonne. Again, thanks for taking us along.

Deb

Thank You very much Deb, it was my pleasure. I look forward to re-living our adventures with a picture thread later this week.

Jonathan

Just somewhat apprehensive because we have sailed with Celebrity and Princess for years and had wonderful experiences. It was nice to hear how great Jonathan's experience was since this was also his first time with RCCI. We are not fussy, believe me! I know we will love it!

Marguerite

I have always sailed Celebrity. Two years ago was my first RCCI cruise out of Baltimore on Enchantment of the Seas. I loved it!!!! One of my best cruises!!!! I think the food was a little better on Celebrity but by no means was RCCI bad. We never went hungry and I never complained about the food! We met many new friends on Enchantment and I hope to make a lot more friends on Explorer. You will love Royal!!!!!!:D

Thank You very much Deb, it was my pleasure. I look forward to re-living our adventures with a picture thread later this week.

Jonathan

If you start a new thread, please please link it here!!! I love pictures and I dare not want to miss out on your captions :)

Hi Jonathon,

Thank you for taking the time to review my favorite ship. I enjoyed the entire

review, and I admire your writing style.

Welcome back.

Thank You very much Lady Mac, it's nice of you to say.

If you start a new thread, please please link it here!!! I love pictures and I dare not want to miss out on your captions

I'd be happy to do that. I'll be writing up a full review too.

Thank you so much for this live review...it was great! I am looking forward to your pictures and the compass. :-)

Thank You so much Wezie, I appreciate it. I have saved all seven compasses and will be happy to scan and upload them.

Jonathan

Thanks for sharing your wonderful review. I'm hoping you can share more about her possible relocation to Asia and when that might be.

Thank You. It was a recurring rumor aboard the ship that Explorer would be heading to Asia. It seems like this would happen directly following her dry dock which I believe is slated for some time in early 2015.

Jonathan

Thank You. It was a recurring rumor aboard the ship that Explorer would be heading to Asia. It seems like this would happen directly following her dry dock which I believe is slated for some time in early 2015.

Jonathan

I heard that rumor from several sources, as well. There also seemed to be a large number of Chinese service crew...asst waiters, bar servers, etc. I had never seen thus on rci before.

What times were the shows and di you need to make reservations or something? Also, do they have washy washy people standing outside the restaurants forcing everyone to sanitize before eating?

Yes on the washy washy...but "force" May be a bit strong.

Show times were usually 715 for Late seating and 9 for early seating. No reservations needed or accepted. The ice shows were assigned based on your muster station, so no tickets needed. If your assigned time was not convenient, you could wait for standby seats at any other performance. Tendering was also first come first served...and we experienced a big of mayhem with that at disco cay when some self important people thought it was fine to cut the line of 200 pax waiting on deck 2 as directed, by taking the elevator to deck one and sliding in. No crew there to direct traffic. But a minor gripe.

Jonathan

Thanks....that itinerary might be one we'd like to do. Now to find out when the itineraries will be released.

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

About two weeks for us, thank you, Jonathan.

It will go by fast Barb and soon you'll be living in a fantasy world aboard that elegant liner Explorer.

It feels odd being home, plucked from this life of luxury, adventure and top-notch service and now set adrift on some strange island, I believe they call it Manhattan.

Somewhere looming out there is another RCCL ship with our name on the manifest. Have a wonderful voyage.

Jonathan

Our first day at home usually goes like this.

DH and I will be sitting at our kitchen table, wondering when our waiter is going to take our order.

Or when is the cabin steward going to make the bed? Then we realize that no one is going to do anything, we have to cook our own food and clean up. WAH!!!

Quick, pick up the phone and book another cruise------feel better now!!!!

Yes on the washy washy...but "force" May be a bit strong.

Show times were usually 715 for Late seating and 9 for early seating. No reservations needed or accepted. The ice shows were assigned based on your muster station, so no tickets needed. If your assigned time was not convenient, you could wait for standby seats at any other performance. Tendering was also first come first served...and we experienced a big of mayhem with that at disco cay when some self important people thought it was fine to cut the line of 200 pax waiting on deck 2 as directed, by taking the elevator to deck one and sliding in. No crew there to direct traffic. But a minor gripe.

Does royal Caribbean not give priority tendering to suite guests? Just wondering as we just got off breakaway yesterday and was given priority tendering at their island. Looking at the explorer for this summer and wondering difference in suite perks. Thanks