Massage w/out the sales pitch???

brenderlou

We have been on numerous cruises but this will be the first one that I will probably go for a massage by myself or w/ hubby on the Oasis in March.

I've read a lot about the spa trying to sell products, etc. and I'm not interested in any of that, just a massage.

Any hints on how to avoid the sales pitch (and hopefully it's not during the massage)?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

DW has had massages on board before. She said that they do try to sell you products before the massage, but not during. She said a polite, "I don't want to purchase anything else." to the masseuse was all it took to stop the sales pitches.

Edited by OKC Cruisers
stoopid speling misteaks

Sometimes you just need to be proactive. Tell them at the start that you are interested in a relaxing massage and not in any products so if they attempt to sell you any you will leave and they will not be paid.

I love getting hot stone massages while on board but HATE the sales pitch stuff. It sounds like I just need to tell them upfront I don't want to purchase anything. It's so annoying. Thanks for the thread. Anxious to read more responses. ;)

Politely!

They are only doing their jobs and if your choice is to not hear about the products, they will smile and continue on.

NO NEED TO BE RUDE OR DEMEANING.

My wife likes the technique, 'The few items you try to sell me, the better the tip and the end of the massage' Always delivered with a big smile.

Yes it is annoying at times but it is part of their daily job. They have certain sales goal to meet so they must ask everyone. A simple no thanks I have so much already at home or I'll think about it but not now is fine they will understand.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Politely!

They are only doing their jobs and if your choice is to not hear about the products, they will smile and continue on.

My wife likes the technique, 'The few items you try to sell me, the better the tip and the end of the massage' Always delivered with a big smile.

Interesting you said no need to be demeaning an yet this may be the only rude response I've seen so far ::roll eyes:: Nothing says polite like dangling money over someone's head!

Edited by jessicalorene

The sales pitch usually comes after your treatment. I politely mentioned I would not be making any additional purchases but she continued with the pitch anyway. I had taken advantage of a special offer but few days later the spa increased the price of my treatment on my account as they thought it was too low!

Needless to say I will not be having any further spa appointments!

My husband and I always write on our paperwork in large letters; I am not interested in purchasing any products, thank you very much".

Honestly, I haven't had anyone mention anything to me or my hubby in the last 5 or 6 cruises and have received very good massages.

:)

I have never had them try and pitch me product DURING the massage. If they started to, I would politely tell them I prefer to relax and I will be happy to have them share their thoughts with me afterwards.

Afterwards, if they want to take 30-60 seconds to tell me why they think I might benefit from something, it's no sweat off my back to listen to it. If not interested (as is usually the case), I simply say "Thank you for the suggestion, but I am all set right now".

I may have to borrow this tactic! I'll be curious to see how treatment differs! I was having a facial, and was STUCK... while she wrote up this long list of items I needed. Told her, if I decided to buy anything, it would be at the end of the cruise. Then the hint came about taking care of her with an extra tip. Although, my goal is to stay out of the spa this trip... ha!!!!

I did have DD tell them she wasn't allowed to purchase anything, that she would have to ask me. Worked every time.

My husband and I always write on our paperwork in large letters; I am not interested in purchasing any products, thank you very much".

Honestly, I haven't had anyone mention anything to me or my hubby in the last 5 or 6 cruises and have received very good massages.

I also write "No product pitch" on the form. Works like a charm and there is not even a need to say anything. One time the therapist even got a kick out of it. I definitely recommend doing this.

I need to let my DW know about doing this. Last cruise she came back from the spa with over $500 worth of stuff. I ended up returning most of it and not surprisingly when I went back to the spa to return the products it seemed as though this was a regular occurrence for the staff.

Politely!

You don't have to add anything. Not one person mentioned being anything other than polite.

You're the only one that mentioned a tacky tipping technique though.