2014 Spring Break dates

coloradokidforever

Our spring break, and that of neighboring school districts, in Texas is March 10-14. Hopefully, you won't have too many kids sailing out of Galveston.

Unfortunately, we are on the Breeze March 29 and it looks like there are loads of kids on that sailing. Between that and the Ultra Music Festival tying up traffic in Miami it should be miserable. Since it is freebie cruise we are actually rethinking the plan to go at all and looking at options for rebooking our air to Mexico for a week at an all inclusive. If we do that we will stay at an adults only resort.

Here in RI, school is usually off the 13,14th of April. This yr,the 20th ,not sure why but its ok, cause this cruise the kiddos are staying home with their grandmother and going to school, while hubby and I cruise ! Wooohooo!

Our DS is a Freshman at the University of Arizona and has a week for Spring Break starting March 14th this year. He's decided to come home instead of heading to Cabo with his frat brothers. Yea! Lucky break for mama, my baby's coming home for a whole week!!!!:D:D:D: He's not going to Cabo and getting drunk as a skunk!!!!

To the original OP, I wouldn't sweat a Spring Break cruise. Up until last year, we went on one just about every year from the time our DS was 9! We never had a bad time or encountered any excessive, crazy situations. Although, I've heard other people on this board have. We always had a great time. I'd be worried more about drunken adults on Pub Crawls!:eek:, before I'd worry about Spring Breakers.

Go forth and have an awesome cruise!:D

Here in RI, school is usually off the 13,14th of April. This yr,the 20th ,not sure why

Possibly because Easter is on the 20th. Though they dont' explicitly say so, in my experience it's seemed that school breaks are often timed with Easter in mind perhaps as a consideration for families who may be travelling to visit relatives for the holiday.

Probably does have to do with the way easter falls,,,although in the past when its fallen in march there still is the spring break around the 12,13 or 14 of april...curious what it will be next yr...we usually do an april vacation with our girls whether its land or by sea,and we like to plan in advance...and to call the school depot to ask when,they are kinda useless,sad but true

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk

Metro Atlanta public school spring breaks seem to be week of March 30 or April 6th depending on county/district.

Even that will vary; late March / early April is common also. (looked at my alma mater in upstate New York and this year's spring break is March 29 to April 6th)

If you want to avoid spring break you really need to aim for late April and early May.

When you ask about spring break, you are really dealing with a span of two months..March and April March is typically for the college spring break and April is typically for the public school spring break (although the public spring break can also be in March, depending on which part of the country. So essentially in order to avoid either one, you do need to wait until very end of April/early May as was previously stated. On my cruise on the Freedom in April 2012, there were a lot of young children and you would never know it. They were all so well behaved and enjoying themselves. I found no problem with it at all. On my August cruise, there were far more kids! I found the airfares were really jacked up during school break time, so we now cruise in early May as the fares are much better.

I love how it is ok to post about not wanting to cruise with too many kids on board. How disgusting!

Replace the word kids with some other demographic/race/culture/religion etc and see how it sounds

Oh I forgot it is ok on these boards to publicly discriminate against under 23 year olds

Even smoker threads get someone to eventually defend their right to smoke and the minute someone dares to describe a particular type of group in detail the thread get pulled but not so with the child hater threads

Shame on anyone who specifically asks about an age demographic and posts that they want to cruise at a time to avoid them as you wouldn't ask this about any other segment of the population would you

Stirring the pot to keep the thread going? You have been on here long enough to have read many posts by parents, grandparents, teachers, and day care workers who just want a break from large numbers of children. Nothing disgusting or shameful about that. Most people cruise for a break from something.

Personally I don't mind a ship full of children as long as they are behaved. I enjoy seeing them making new friends and having fun on their cruise. What I take issue with are those who misbehave just like I take issue with adults that are drunk and obnoxious creating an unpleasant atmosphere for everyone else. The more children on board the greater the chances for a few with bad behavior.

Cheers!

Cheers!

It is not the kids who are the problem on cruises. It is the parents who take a vacation from parenting while on vacation.

I raised my kids and have grandchildren. If our kids were not in Camp Carnival they were at our side and didn't push all the elevator buttons, run the halls banging on doors at all hours of the night, push ahead of elderly people and run around the pool area. Same goes for the grandchildren.

We vacation with our kids and grandkids at least once a year and I enjoy them. But, there are times my husband and I like to get away for some peace and quiet.

Won't most (hopefully all) spring breaks be over by the time we sail Carnival Magic out of Galveston on March 30? All my research said yes, but someone posted that that will be their spring break cruise!

Short answer is yes.

Longer answer is as follows. My wife's Texas school district matches most Texas universities with spring break being the week of March 10. The next week is often just as popular, but it slows down after those two. You can check and see the prices of cruises from Galveston reflect those weeks.

Galveston has a heavy drive-up and Texas based cruise clientele, with the Magic being more diversified in passenger home states than the Triumph. We've been aboard both on spring break week and it was a little loud around the pool.

Last spring break we took a 4 night on the Imagination to Cozumel and Key West from Miami because it was dirt cheap and I had SWA points. Fun trip. We people watched at every opportunity.

Enjoy.

Edited by BallFour4

I can't believe how late some districts push their spring break. I'm used to spring break being in March as both it was in Tennessee while I was in high school and then here in Texas. My question is if you don't get spring break until the end of April, when do you get out of school for the year?

Won't most (hopefully all) spring breaks be over by the time we sail Carnival Magic out of Galveston on March 30? All my research said yes, but someone posted that that will be their spring break cruise!

DS a University student has Spring Break March 3-7. DD a high school student in the same community as the university has Spring Break April 4-April 11. I would anticipate that anytime during March and April would be a spring break for someone.

I love how it is ok to post about not wanting to cruise with too many kids on board. How disgusting!

Shame on anyone who specifically asks about an age demographic and posts that they want to cruise at a time to avoid them as you wouldn't ask this about any other segment of the population would you

As a father of two kids, I don't take offense at people who wish to sail without children as long as it's asked in a respectful manner, which is how the OP posed their question. I don't find anything "disgusting or shameful" as you said.

I think its a very valid inquiry, just like wanting to sail with people of any other specific age group or interests.

We are sailing this year twice. First one is going to be in June, SPECIFICALLY for our kids (We will do the whole pre-cruise stay in Central Florida with amusement parks, cartoon characters, and not a single moment of quiet and peace. We chose the ship and itinerary specifically with our kids ages in mind. I'm sure there will be lots of Mac & cheese and chicken nuggets in our diet that week! :o). In a nutshell it will be all about them and we want to sail when there are a bunch of other kids onboard.

Fast forward to October. That cruise will be all about mom and dad. Kids are staying home with the in laws. We don't want anything remotely catering to kids. Itinerary would bore the kids to death. We chose a cruise line that's a bit more upscale and adult oriented. We plan on enjoying quiet and unhurried dinners at specialty restaurants. We are buying a week spa pass. We will be able to attend shows without having to leave halfway, etc, etc. It will be ALL about us as we celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary! :D

And there's NOTHING shameful or disgusting about that!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

Google and you will see the wide range of spring break dates.

Most ppl in the northeast would not travel to Texas to cruise cause its cheaper to fly to Florida. Unless Texas or neighboring states are on break it should not effect you cruise.

We are from Mass and sailing out of Galveston because the flights to Texas were WAY cheaper than flights to Florida.

I can't believe how late some districts push their spring break. I'm used to spring break being in March as both it was in Tennessee while I was in high school and then here in Texas. My question is if you don't get spring break until the end of April, when do you get out of school for the year?

Our spring break is April 21-25. We also have February break (this week). Last day of school is June 18 (though will get pushed back because of snow days). We started school last week of August. :)

I would say no because Spring Break season starts in late Feb and continues through mid and sometimes late April.

I won't say how many years ago it was :o, but I use to have spring break in April, and we got out of school for the year the 2nd week of June.