Jewel of the Sea's Question

jsant

We are leaving on the Jewel of the Sea’s in just under 4 weeks, and I have read nothing but negative reviews lately. I would love to hear from anyone who has sailed her recently. Is the service really that bad? Is she really in a state of disrepair? I know we will have a good time, no matter what…..I just want to know if I need to manage the expectations of the group. We are a group of couples in our 40’s traveling with kids ranging from 7-18.

Many thanks!

We sailed on her in early December and loved her, much as we've enjoyed our half dozen other sailings on her. Our stateroom attendant was excellent and we found many friendly bartenders onboard. We didn't eat in the MDR because we've done it enough by now, but I imagine that the service is harried and rushed, because that's how it always seemed to be when we did MDR seating. There are too few servers, but I think that may be common on all RCI ships these days. We enjoyed the specialty restaurants and Jewel's Windjammer is terrific, with several stations that will cook hot, fresh food that beats the stuffing out of anything in the MDR - you just have to get it yourself instead of having it flung at you.

Jewel is not an old ship by any stretch of the imagination - she came into service 9 years ago and is younger than the Voyager class ships and Freedom OTS. But people tend to look at ships like cars when judging their age, I think. Sure, she has some dings and dents, but we never found anything dirty or broken and the crew were always out and about cleaning.

She has a lot fewer amenities than the huge ships (no flowrider, skating rink, Aquatheater, etc.), but that's what makes some of us love her and her Radiance class sisters - I don't feel the need to run around like a crazy person trying to see and do everything there is to offer, just relax while onboard and put my energy into seeing the sights in the various ports of call.

Just my two cents.:)

You'll be getting on when I'm getting off.

Over the years I've read several reviews about this ship or that and have never had an issue. I'm there to enjoy my vacation and relax. I'm not worried one bit about the condition of the ship as I know it will be amazing! I have yet to be the least bit disappointed in any RCCL ships. I'd lay money that you have nothing to be concerned about.

Go, relax and enjoy the beautiful ship the Jewel is. I'll leave it nice for you :D

Just got off the ship Saturday and I have nothing but positives for the Jewel. Everything was top notch, staff was great, room was great, ship was clean, food was good.

Only thing I would like to see changed is for it to go totally non smoking. But that is a personal preference.

It's a wonder to me what ship these bad reviews come from. Jewel is just fine. Service was great. It is definitely not in a state of disrepair. In fact, they were laying new carpet and re-upholstering furniture on port days.

2,000+ passengers and crew every week, 52 weeks a year on salt water. I don't know what your expectations are. But you search hard enough you will find some bad to complain about.

Enjoy your cruise.

I just returned Saturday from the Jewel and had a wonderful time. This was my first time with RCI and it will not be my last. The ship is beautiful, love the glass. There was a wonderful band called Extra and the lead singer, Chris, had a great voice. The stateroom was immaculate, Gerald King was the stateroom attendant and he was always available to please. I had the Ultimate Drink Package and never had a problem with bartenders or servers. Drinks were readily available. Loved the MDR. Our waiters were Brazillio and Milan and they were so much fun. I really don't understand the negative comments, makes me wonder if I was on the same ship. Had one charge on the bill for a drink and wondered if I should forget it since we were going to disembark but when I went to customer service I was waited on immediately and charge removed within 5 minutes. Have a wonderful time, I am green with envy.

There are always some who complain about everything and that's usually the same people who will write their experience in forum like this. But as you have seen from this thread their are more people who enjoy the Jewel.

Some comments I can understand, for example if you're used to travel with one of the huge ships, you might get a little bit disappointed that Jewel is somewhat smaller (has for example only one theater and only two shows a night) or that their shows are more musical then with a story as they have to supply the needs of the many spanish speaking guests boarding at Puerto Rico. But they have (as we call it) luxury problems.

We might see each other as I will be already on board doing b2b from the 8th of march. So see you and look forward to this great cruise...

Okay, feeling so much better! Some of the things I read in reviews seemed nitpicky, and to be honest, I do think negative people are more likely to post their thoughts. Glad to hear the positive things you guys have to say.

Cruzin-K – Thanks for the links. I am going to look into the resorts you mentioned for Antigua and St. Lucia.

Onyx007 – See you in a few weeks!

We are leaving on the Jewel of the Sea’s in just under 4 weeks, and I have read nothing but negative reviews lately. I would love to hear from anyone who has sailed her recently. Is the service really that bad? Is she really in a state of disrepair? I know we will have a good time, no matter what…..I just want to know if I need to manage the expectations of the group. We are a group of couples in our 40’s traveling with kids ranging from 7-18.

Many thanks!

We'll be on Jewel two weeks after you, and have no concerns at all:)

Hi Jsant

Like you this my first on the Jewel of Seas. I also had concerns ,which have been put to rest by most the cruisers here. Just to help you a bit I found a review just this morning . It was very well done with pictures also. I found it here on this site . If you have not read please do, excellent and very well done.

"Jewel by Day by Day review by Familygoboston". The lady does it with touch of class. I hope you enjoy this and also enjoy your cruise. We don't cruise till Nov . Could you let all us know how you made out. Thanks. Rest Easy

kruise runner:cool:

Many thanks!

We will be on the ship with you! Cannot wait to get there :-)

• 1 month later...

I was two weeks on the Jewel started 8th of March and just returned. I had a great time. No worries it's a nice ship with a good crew.

There was nothing which disappointed me. (except some déja-vues on my second week of b2b ;-)

I was two weeks on the Jewel started 8th of March and just returned. I had a great time. No worries it's a nice ship with a good crew.

There was nothing which disappointed me. (except some déja-vues on my second week of b2b ;-)

Great!! Glad you have a wonderful time! I can't wait to board her Oct 2015. (I know, it's a long way off :()!