luggage spotting

Faie

I have had a 2" wide gros grain red and blue plaid ribbon tied onto every piece of family luggage for years. We do have black luggage and red luggage which seems to be the most common, but no one has these plaid things. Choose a strip of fabric or ribbon and that's all you need.

Bright colored zigzag pattern duct tape!!

After having someone walk off with my black lightweight suitcase from Costco....(they all look alike) I put strips of that tape near both handles. So the tape is on the top no matter how you stand it up!

I don't care if it looks like 12 clowns are going to come out of it.........no one will mistake it for theirs!! :D:p:D

Go to a hardware store and get brightly colored rope (1/4" braid) Some stores have it in blue, red, green and bright yellow. Wrap it around and around the handle to encase it. It makes your handle very distinctive and gives you about 5-6' of rope in case of an emergency need.

Combine that with a buff/cheap small distinctive scarf tied around the handle attachment posts. Just in case someone else reads this post and just happens to be on your trip and just happens to get the same bright green cord you do and just happens to have the same reddish colored luggage....hey...you never know.

Make your own luggage tag too. Mine has my country flag, name and details of cabin # and my cell #. No address though. Don't advertise your home. I printed up the tags, cut them to size and sealed them in the small 3'5" laminater sheets you can get from an office supply store. Iron to laminate and buy the plastic luggage tag loops. Use scissors to cut a hole through the tag or use a paper punch. Instant (and cheap) customizable tags. As long as they last the trip.

Hope this helps.

What do you put on your luggage to help you spot it coming off the airlines conveyor or at the cruise port at disembarkation? :)

We bought red suitcases when red wasn't that popular. Now it is. We always wrap colorful duct tape around the handles. Easy to spot our suitcases and we always have an emergency supply of duct tape should we need it for repairs :-))

I have garish yellow and pink dots on my black luggage. Also have matching ribbons on the handles. I used to make the dots with duck tape but I have started painting them on so I don't have to replace them when they get rubbed off. We can spot our luggage at baggage claim from across the room.

Thanks to all for the tips, I have purchased two lime green exfoliating bath thingys (puffs) and I am sure we would be able to spot them instantly but, wonder if they could pose a problem size wise, as I wonder if they might catch on something . I may just go with some ribbon or duct tape as that seems to be the favorite of many.

Color, big & bright, is the key. We have green/brown luggage (kind of ugly, but it stands out, is lightweight, and has held up pretty well), then use bright orange luggage handle wraps and orange luggage straps. We've added a few orange duct tape circles on the ends and sides. Whatever you use to mark your bags, make sure it's visible from all sides of your luggage, as they sometimes come off the conveyer belts 'upside down'. Also always carry a picture of your marked luggage on your cell phone or camera; it really helps if your luggage is lost and you need to provide a description.

My luggage looks like this only it's purpleish with white flowers. Only ever seen it on a cruise once when I was there - this past December on the Oasis.

samsonite-3663-fall-winter-11-12-0005.jpg

I love my luggage! It's prettier in the purple lol

You have my suitcase! I love being able to find it easily. (I'll check the roll calls for you from now on.):D

Before my last trip, I found an Amelia Earhart hardsided bag. It's gray, and has images of iconic landmarks on it. The Eifel tower, Statue of Liberty, Roman coloseum, you get the idea. easy to spot anywhere. I'm on the look out for the one with the antique maps next. My smaller carry-on is blue and also hardsided. It does sometimes get checked, so I've taken to treating that one like an old fashioned steamer trunk, I buy stickers on my trips, and it gets a new one every time. reminds me of where it's been.

Buy the right luggage in the first place. The Sub-0-G brand [available in the US, I understand, as well as the UK] produces extremely light but resilient luggage in rather loud patterns. No fabric design is used for very long so you are extremely unlikely to find someone else using "your" design. We have the same cases for our carry-ons. Not only can we find our luggage quickly but other people recognise them as well. We only have to point to our carry-on and say "like this" and ....